KLM is unfair to vegetarians!

May 15th, 2011, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

KLM is unfair to vegetarians!

On a recent KLM flight in Europe, my wife and I were offered chicken sandwiches for lunch. I asked the stewardess if she could provide a vegetarian option and was informed that KLM doesn't provide any such option on European flights. This policy is equivalent to telling one person out of every 20 (approximately) "sorry, the other 19 get to eat, but not you". This amounts to unfair discrimination, which would not be tolerated if it were racial or religious in nature ("sorry, we don't offer food to "). I urge everyone who cares about fairness not to fly KLM until this policy is changed!
May 15th, 2011, 11:45 AM

Troll post.
May 15th, 2011, 12:33 PM

You registered to post that?

No one should EVER expect to get a special meal option w/o contacting the airline (any airline, not just KLM) ahead of time
May 15th, 2011, 02:08 PM

I'm sorry? A little unclear what your point is.
May 15th, 2011, 02:42 PM

Even people with special food requirements based on religion must contact the airline ahead of time to make arrangements for special food.
May 15th, 2011, 02:42 PM

Even people with special food requirements based on religion must contact the airline ahead of time to make arrangements for special food.
May 15th, 2011, 02:45 PM

I have family that keep kosher. They have to let my family know if they are attending events several days in advance, or else they go hungry.
May 15th, 2011, 04:08 PM

As a flight attendant I would like to ask you where we are going to "make" that special meal for you at 37,000 feet if you haven't special ordered it?
I don't believe that KLM doesn't serve veg meals on "inter European" flights especially with the high volume of Muslims,Indians,etc. that fly with them.Most people that have special dietary needs should always travel with some of their special snacks just in case.
May 16th, 2011, 04:18 AM

"I asked the stewardess if ..."

They're flight attendants these days.

I see on KLM's website that special meals can be preordered only on its intercontinental flights. (Preordering them is the key.) Within Europe, you take what they serve, no matter what your dietary requirement: no kosher, no halal, no gluten free, no vegetarian. You make a point to find these things out in advance, and if the airline can't meet your needs, you bring your own food on board.
May 16th, 2011, 12:45 PM

I need vegan, gluten free, diabetic, peanut free, lactose free, organic, without artificial dyes.

It's a plane, not a food court.
May 16th, 2011, 03:46 PM

In general, I find most airline food to be so lousy that I always carry my own--and I would certainly do that if I had dietary restrictions. My husband has been known to say that it's the good news when an airline doesn't serve food.
Aug 16th, 2016, 03:51 PM

I am travelling by KLM and now atleast 1 month before my travel I am trying to request for vegetarian food on my flight, it is true KLM does not offer that option as they clearly couldn't help me out and I have been told that I have to make my own arrangement on a 14 hour flight because I won't be able to get vegetarian food.

I guess I am going to eat at the airport before I board my flight since I know vegetarian food would not be offered on this flight from Amsterdam.
Aug 16th, 2016, 04:09 PM
P_M

fenarula, why you have topped a 5 year old thread in order to make your first post?
Aug 16th, 2016, 04:15 PM

I'm betting fenarula won't be back..
Aug 17th, 2016, 02:06 PM

Why jump all over a first-time poster just for making a point? In my experience, most airlines do offer food options (if they offer food at all) so I would be surprised and probably a little frustrated if I found my dietary requirements couldn’t be met. No harm in letting others know that is the case.
Aug 17th, 2016, 04:14 PM
P_M

Who is jumping all over him/her? It's just a little odd, and furthermore it's not true.

https://www.klm.com/travel/us_en/pre...eals/index.htm
Aug 17th, 2016, 04:31 PM

P_M Thanks for the link. Its clear what fenarula said is not true and Ill bet neither her claim they told her to take care of herself for 14 hr. flight.
Aug 18th, 2016, 12:32 AM

OP is what is wrong with America.
Aug 21st, 2016, 07:28 AM

I am a naturist and was denied boarding a Klm flight when I arrived naked.
I urge everybody to boycott planes until they change their policy.
Aug 21st, 2016, 10:05 AM

I would hardly compare a vegetarian, whose dietary choices harm no one, to a naturist who would insist on flying naked, but this is an excellent example of the unreasonable prejudice one encounters when one wishes to avoid eating meat.

I am pleased that KLM does in fact offer a vegetarian option. In 2016, that seems sporting of them.

Whether one gets the option one has requested is another thing entirely. On a recent intercontinental AA flight, my and SO's vegetarian meals, requested well in advance, failed to appear, a result which the flight attendants greeted with a shrug, as if to say, "It's not the first time".

We ate the tiny salad and the roll sans entree, and we had snacks, and really, one can't starve to death in 10 hours. But it was poor service.

In contrast, an Azul flight offered something chicken-y and a cheese pasta as entree options, which would surely please 99% of those on board. If every airline offered one hearty but meat free entree, the need for "special meals" would almost disappear.

Of course I realize that some people are gluten free some are dairy free, and so on. Everyone can't be pleased, and those of us with diets outside the norm are well used to providing for ourselves in case out needs can't be met.

But offering an option and then failing to provide it; or mocking a person who makes a special request that is only special because the airline is being dense--well, that's not kosher

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO