Search

KLM anyone ?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2001, 08:18 AM
Drew

KLM anyone ?

Does anyone have experience of flying KLM trans-atlantic (coach). <BR>I am booked to fly with them in the summer, and would appreciate some feedback. <BR> <BR>thanks <BR>

Old Apr 20th, 2001, 04:37 AM
Lena

I flew from Amsterdam to Memphis two years ago with KLM. Being English, I refuse to fly with British Airways because I don't want be treated like a naughty schoolchild. I usually fly with any American airline, as I feel that American standards of customer service are truly superb. Alas, I could only get a flight with KLM.They were the shoddiest, crummiest bunch I've ever flown with. To illustrate, the very young crew brought some pre-poured cups of juice round halfway through the ten hour flight. We asked if we could possibly have some ice. The member of the crew said to us, gesturing to the end of the plane, "There is no more ice - the Americans have had all the ice, you know what THEY'RE like !" The air-conditioning on the MD-11 didn't appear to be operational - by the time we got to Memphis I felt as if I was gasping for air.The food was crappy and there was not enough of it. Tellingly, their fares always seem to be the lowest (in the UK anyway). We then flew from Memphis to Seattle with their US partner Northwest, who we thought were fantastic.The crew were warm and friendly and the food ample, but then we wouldn't expect any less from a US carrier. So I do sincerely hope that your experience is better than ours, but I will guarantee that as an American you will be used to a far superior service.

Old Apr 20th, 2001, 06:46 AM
xxx

Well, Lena, you sure have had a totally different experience than I. I have flown KLM about 10 times and they are OK or good. Friendly service. On-par with BA, Lufthansa, Swissair and Air France, which in my humble opinion are all MUCH better than any US airline (Delta, United, Southwest, American) that I have been on.

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 05:37 AM
Peter

I flew KLM from London to Sydney (about 24 hours in the air). They are very average - cabin was grotty, service mediocre, leg room tight, forget the entertainment. They really need a make-over. <BR> <BR>If you are flying on a 747-400 the have an unsual layout with a semi prive cabin in coach with two by two seating and an artificial wall through the plane. This is the best place to sit. <BR> <BR>Personally I refuse to fly any European airline that doesn't match American for their legroom in coach - it's just the best.

Old May 10th, 2001, 05:42 PM
Hallie

I've flown KLM from Amsterdam to Memphis and it was a delightful flight. The cabin crew was friendly and attentive. They brought around hot towels, free wine and liquers, ice cream... Truly the most pleasant long flight I've ever been on. <BR> <BR>I had sort of the opposite experience with the Northwest cabin crew on a similar long flight. They were efficient but not particularly warm and fuzzy.