Japan Airlines' bankruptcy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are on courtesy hold for a trip from LAX to Shanghai and from Beijing back to LAX in October using American Airlines frequent flyer miles. Our flight from LAX to Shanghai is on Japan Airlines who just filed bankruptcy.

The AA agent assured me that if the JAL flights are cancelled, AA will book us on another flight with another airline, we will be able to get over there. No one will guarantee it though.

Do any of you have any experience in this kind of situation? Should I forgo the FF tickets? We are booked on business class on Cathay Pacific on the return flights. I need to pay $1,000 to buy an extra 40,000 miles to make it happen. But to purchase the same ticket will cost around $7,000.

Pat
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 01:52 PM

I have an AA issued award with a segment on Japan Airlnes to Shanghai in Oct too. I'm not concerned as there are other options including AA's own service to Shanghai. I don't have specific experience in this situation with AA, but with other award tickets, I've always been reaccommodated when there's been a service cancellation or reschedule.
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 02:08 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
You shouldn't worry. Airlines go in and out of bankruptcy and the majority of travelers can't tell any difference. Even if JAL were to leave Oneworld, as now seems possible, the transition would take at least two years, during which time your tickets would still be good. This has happened on several occasions recently - Swiss International got eaten by Lufthansa (Star Alliance) and dropped its AA partnership; ditto Turkish Airlines.
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 02:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Patty and Gardyloo, I will go ahead and purchase the extra miles.

Patty, we are leaving on October 8, will be staying at Shanghai Marriott in Tomorrow Square until the 20th. We stayed there a couple of years ago, a great hotel and great location. We use Marriott points for the hotels (in Shanghai and Beiming) so this will be a very inexpensive trip. When are you leaving?

You also helped me with my Kenya trip planning a couple of years ago. Thanks.

Pat
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 03:15 PM

I thought your screenname sounded familiar You took your granddaughter to Kenya right?

We don't get to Shanghai until the 25th. Sorry we'll just miss you! It would've been fun to meet up.

Are you going anywhere else besides Shanghai and Beijing? We'll end up in Taipei but not sure where we're going in the middle yet.
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 03:33 PM
Original Poster

Yes, Patty, we took Nikki (our granddaughter) to Kenya. To date, it is our favorite trip. I am thinkiing about a trip to Tanzania in a coule of years, but the business class ticket prices is keeping us from going.

I am from Taipei originally, I was there last April for my 50th elementary class reunion. It was Rick's first time to Taiwan and he loved it. This trip we are only doing Shanghai and Beijing, then come straight home. We are going to Taiwan in April or October 2011.

We love Shanghai, this October trip will be our 5th. Do eat at the Yang's Fried Dumplings, address 54-60 Wujiang Lu,
near Nanjing Xi Lu. Here is the name and address in Chinese.
小杨生煎館
吴江路54-60号
近南京西路

You have to go there, a hole in the wall, but the best fried dumplings I have ever had. One RMB per dumpling, they are huge and juicy. I ete six in one shot.

Sorry that we will miss each other.

Pat
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 06:04 PM

I was born in Taipei and went to one semester at Song Jiang elementary. At least that's where I think I went. No one in my family can quite remember My parents are going with us and will actually be attending their college reunion. It'll be my husband's first time in Taipei so I'm looking forward to showing him places, that's if I can remember where anything is!

Thanks for the dumpling hole in the wall recommendation. It's been a few years since I've been in Shanghai.