Is This Enough Time in LAX ???

Old Feb 4th, 2020, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

Is This Enough Time in LAX ???

Iím considering a flight that is scheduled to arrive LAX 2:05pm nonstop from Qatar. Iím considering booking a separate ticket (on Delta, nonstop to Lihue) that would leave LAX 5:45pm. That leaves me 3 hours and 10 minutes to clear customs and get to the gate 30 minutes before take-off. I plan to have carry-on only (a rolling bag). I have Global Entry and TSA pre-check. Would I have to go through security again? Does this seem like enough time?

FYI, there are flights that leave later, but they have long stops in HNL and I donít want that.

My only other viable option is to overnight at an LAX hotel and fly to LIH the next day.

Thoughts???

Thanks!
Old Feb 4th, 2020, 08:23 PM

It seems like plenty of time - since you have no checked bags and you have GE. I do think you would have to exit the international arrivals terminal and go through security again, but it seems do-able. Of course, booking another independent flight always adds to the terror mix, doesn't it? Hopefully your first flight would arrive on time. Is there a way to buy travel insurance just for the amount of the second flight - or is that coverage even available?

Last edited by scdreamer; Feb 4th, 2020 at 08:25 PM.
Old Feb 4th, 2020, 09:06 PM

There is an airside bus between Tom Bradley and T-2 (Delta)Assuming your flight arrives anywhere near on time you should have no problem. (big assumption though)
Old Feb 4th, 2020, 09:30 PM

One of our international flights was 9 hours late a few years ago. It is never particularly safe to book two separate tickets on two separate airlines, should your first flight be 95 minutes late or more, you'll miss the 2nd flight and will have to purchase an entirely new, expensive last-minute fare.

That said, two hours is considered the legal minimum at LAX so if everything goes smoothly (big big if), you should be okay.

American Airlines is a One-World partner with Qatar Air. You should be able to find a one-ticket itinerary that arrives Qatar and departs on American. Then if your first flight is late you'll be protected.

Also check to see if Philippine Airlines flies your route straight-through.

Last edited by clarkgriswold; Feb 4th, 2020 at 09:38 PM.
Old Feb 4th, 2020, 10:04 PM
Original Poster

<American Airlines is a One-World partner with Qatar Air. You should be able to find a one-ticket itinerary that arrives Qatar and departs on American. Then if your first flight is late you'll be protected.>

Thanks for the suggestion, but it won't work. I'm using AA FF miles to fly business class from Nairobi to LAX, with an overnight layover in Qatar. I don't have enough miles to book it Nairobi to Kauai, and it's way too expensive to buy them. Besides, the connections would be terrible.

I will look into buying trip insurance for the LAX to LIH flight. It's not an expensive flight. The problem would be that it wouldn't cover the cost of a last-minute flight. I might be able to use United or Hawaiian FF miles if the
flight from Qatar arrived very late.

Thanks for all your comments.
Old Feb 5th, 2020, 06:36 AM

While you'd probably have plenty of time, I'd personally opt for a cheap hotel for one night. Even in Qatar's business class that's a helluva long flight (considering you'll already be coming from Africa.) Why kill yourself?

I did find myself wondering, however, about an alternative. Nairobi > Lihue via Doha and LAX is 12,996 miles, much of it flying westbound against the wind. On the other hand, Nairobi > Lihue via Doha and Tokyo (and Honolulu) is 11,162 miles and would be with tailwinds. Qatar has a 3-hour connection at DOH between arriving from NBO and departing to NRT. Of course you'd have to get to Hawaii from Tokyo, but if you have Delta or Hawaiian miles, they could both fly you out of Narita with no bother. Just an idea, of course.

Last edited by Gardyloo; Feb 5th, 2020 at 06:56 AM.
Old Feb 5th, 2020, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Songdoc View Post
I will look into buying trip insurance for the LAX to LIH flight. It's not an expensive flight. The problem would be that it wouldn't cover the cost of a last-minute flight. I might be able to use United or Hawaiian FF miles if the flight from Qatar arrived very late.
Can you book the LAX-LIH flight on a flexible ticket instead of the cheapest fare? That way if your incoming flight is late, you might be able to change the ticket upon payment of a fee, rather than losing the whole ticket. But that depends on the fare rules. If you were a no-show then it might not work. I book flexible tickets for onward connections when booking separate tickets.
Old Feb 5th, 2020, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

Gardyloo: Thanks for the suggestion, but it won't work. I can only fly business class by using AA FF miles. There are no seats available to Narita or Tokyo from Nairobi anywhere my return in September.

<I'd personally opt for a cheap hotel for one night. Even in Qatar's business class that's a helluva long flight (considering you'll already be coming from Africa.) Why kill yourself?>

We'll overnight in Qatar (16 hours) before heading to L.A. I feel like by the time we get to LAX I'll be ready to gnaw my arm off. I will be SO ready to get home the thought of spending another 18 hours in an airport hotel room seems like torture. But ... it might be the smart thing to do.

Odin: Buying a flex fare would be great, but I'm not seeing any for the Delta flight from LAX to LIH. It would be perfect if I could fly SW, but all of their flights leave before we would arrive in L.A.

FYI, I don't think you would believe the machinations that went into finding business class flights both ways on dates that worked with the safari availability. I will say that the AA agent was fantastic in helping me find the one-stop flight from NBO to LAX. We searched ever other viable arrival city, but they all required an additional stop and another overnight at a hotel in Chicago or somewhere else. AGGHH! I'm pretty sure I'm not going to beat the flights I'm holding.
Old Feb 5th, 2020, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Songdoc View Post
Odin: Buying a flex fare would be great, but I'm not seeing any for the Delta flight from LAX to LIH. It would be perfect if I could fly SW, but all of their flights leave before we would arrive in L.A.
Maybe I should have called it Refundable Fare rather than flex fare. You need to click on the Refundable Fares box on the begin search page (on the DL website) to be shown the refundable fares. Even some non refundable fares are changeable on payment of a fee. At least you can work out if the higher airfare is worth taking vs taking lowest fare and staying overnight in an airport hotel. The T&Cs of these fares should be read before booking in case they are not suitable.
Old Feb 5th, 2020, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

OMG. The refundable fare is $1,027 pp. The "nonrefundable" fare (which can be changed with a hefty change fee) is $237 !
That's crazy!
Old Feb 5th, 2020, 01:26 PM

Under normal conditions that's enough time. Though with flight delays always a chance, maybe an overnight is safer. And a hotel room likely less than a last-minute one way ticket. And certainly less than a refundable fare.

Try El Segundo for reasonably priced rooms.
Old Feb 6th, 2020, 12:50 AM

Hit up Booking.com.... there's a lot of options at Culver City and Marina del Rey too. And if you stayed the night would that also open up other flight options you'd like better?
Old Feb 6th, 2020, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. I am begrudgingly leaning toward an overnight and I appreciated the suggestions. When I overnight at LAX I usually usually use Hotwire to book a Hot Rate hotel on (or near) Century Blvd. They are usually nice, inexpensive, and are walking distance to lots of restaurants. I lived in L.A. for many years so I know the areas. I don't care where I stay as long as it has an airport shuttle. I don't plan on doing anything but sleeping there, catching up on emails, and organizing photos.
Old Feb 6th, 2020, 12:14 PM

Depending on what day you'e there and what you're interested in, near The Habit on Sepulveda and Grand, there is another new microbrewery in El Segundo. https://upshiftbrewing.com/. It's a block from several hotels used by airline crews and business types, such as the Aloft/Fairlfield Inn (the old Hacienda Hotel). The DoubleTree nearby also has a 24 hour free shuttle and breakfast.

The Courtyard in the same area is also inexpensive, likely El Segundo with lower taxes and incidentals will be less than anything on Century.

Last edited by mlgb; Feb 6th, 2020 at 12:17 PM.
Old Feb 6th, 2020, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, mlgb. Thanks for the suggestions. No breweries for me. I don't drink. ;-)

But ... I think I have a brilliant solution if I don't want to overnight near the airport. I can book a SW ticket for the next day. It can be cancelled with no penalty up to 10 minutes before takeoff. The only downside is that with their lowest fares, you receive a credit toward future flights -- not a refund. But that wouldn't be an issue. With SW expanding to Hawaii I would definitely be use that credit.
Old Feb 6th, 2020, 02:04 PM

Good thinking on the SW ticket.
Old Feb 10th, 2020, 12:13 PM

Yes, enough time.
Be sure to check in for your DL flight when you are in Qatar.
When you come out of the TBIT, turn left and walk to T2. Yes, you will go thru TSA at T2.
No need for the terminal bus because you will just have that one rollabord.
No need for insurance or full fare.

The fare is $213.90 for that DL nonstop LAX-LIH this afternoon for basic economy. Same for tomorrow. That is a few dollars lower than tomorrow's Southwest and AA connecting flights

Delta Comfort is $30 more and Comfort+ is $144 more than the basic fare for travel today, about 6 hours before departure. Tomorrow the Comfort+ is another $30 more. First class is sold out on both days.

I see that the basic economy fare for this Friday is $289.

Granted, you are not traveling today, maybe it is low season, and maybe you are traveling on a different day of the week, but a last-minute fare MIGHT BE an option.

The following assumes that your Southwest ticket is not a nonstop and is a connecting flight like tomorrow's 5:35 AM departure which goes via OAK.

If you are at DOH and your QR flight is going to be too late then check the Delta nonstop fare for the next day. And/or check the fare for the next day when you arrive at LAX. Maybe you will get some credit for the ticket on the flight you missed. If the price is right then buy it and cancel the Southwest ticket.

Not much chance of a weather delay at either end of DOH-LAX.

Last edited by mrwunrfl; Feb 10th, 2020 at 12:19 PM. Reason: typos!
Old Feb 11th, 2020, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

Wow. It never would have crossed my mind that next-day fares would be anything but outrageously high. But I just checked and they are even lower than when you posted this. My flight would be late September, which would not be peak season.

But ... now I'm starting to wonder if I really want to fly 16 hours (DOH to LAX) and then get on another plane. FYI, the 5-1/2 hour flight (Nairobi to DOH) will be the previous day. We'll have a 9-hour layover at DOH and will check into the hotel that's in the terminal.

But it's great to know that it's doable if we decide to bite the bullet and get home a day sooner. (It might wind up being contingent on my cat-sitter!)
Old Feb 11th, 2020, 11:26 PM

September is a good time for low fares from L.A. to HI. At least it was in the past.

So, you arrive DOH at 11:05 PM and depart at 8:05 AM? You might be able to get a solid 6 hours (I'm guessing) of sleep at the Oryx Airport Hotel. And it will be during your normal sleepy time for the NBO/DOH time zone that you will be on. If you are going to do a 9-hr layover that is a good way to do it. Your flight to LAX will be a daytime flight literally and for your diurnal rhythm. A long day.

I'm having fun looking schedules for Sept 16.

If I wanted to book DOH-LIH on the QR website using the 5:20 PM NBO departure on the 16th then I would get a ticket with the LAX-LIH segment on AA at 11:30 AM on the 18th. The 21h 25m layover at LAX makes it a whopping 50h 40m trip.

With a 2:05 PM arrival at LAX I wonder why they would not put pax on the AA nonstop at 5PM on the 17th. Maybe they want a 3-hr or longer minimum connection - though maybe that is because they are considering that many/most of their pax won't have GE or Precheck.

Oh, another thought: isn't there an airside connection between the TBIT and AA terminals? Tomorrow's AA LAX-LIH nonstop leaves from T5. You might get an extra margin of safety by not going thru TSA if you chose not to spend the night in LA. You might be able to link the tickets check bags throught to LIH and have AA have to take care of you if QR is late and you miss the connection. I don't know if either of those things could happen.

Last edited by mrwunrfl; Feb 11th, 2020 at 11:32 PM. Reason: no edits, too lazy to fix typos this time
Old Feb 11th, 2020, 11:58 PM

" isn't there an airside connection between the TBIT and AA terminals?"

Yes, you can connect airside

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO