Reload this Page >

Intresting article in Traveler

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 10:52 PM
Info

Intresting tidbit on page 20 in the March issue of National Geographic Traveler entitled "Web Ticket Trap." Details two cases where web buyers get burned by the airlines. One woman was in the hospital and missed her flight. Delta would not refund or rebook because purchased on the web. The other is a web buyer who purchased a ticket with United on their site and then could not upgrade classes due to web purchase.

Old Feb 24th, 2002, 02:20 AM
Vic

You must read terms and conditions before you buy the ticket. Generally, the terms and conditions are the same whether you buy on the web or through an agent. In some cases, web fares may be more restrictive when they are especially cheap.<BR><BR>As for upgrades, all airlines with the expection of American Airlines only upgrade fare classes above a certain price level. It doesn't matter where you purchase your ticket.

Old Feb 24th, 2002, 08:30 AM
Mardi

Moral of the story is to use the web for all research and then book by telephone. <BR><BR>(What the moral of the story is not: that you should always use a travel agent.)

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 12:58 PM
sister

Let me add something else about web tickets. I personally lost $200.00 because I purchased a ticket through the web. No..it wasn't a web fare..just a regular fare. I thought i would be Mrs smarty pants and do it myself. I was in Houston at the time. It was June of last year and the highways were all under water...our street was under water..the airports were closed. I called United to cancel because I could NOT get to the airport. THey said no problem and I could reuse the ticket later without a penalty. I recently tried calling UA to rebook my no penalty ticket and was told too bad. They did not have access to my record and it is my word against their 6.00/hour agent. I did write to UA and haven't heard anything back. I probably wont. I heard from three different supervisors that they are not waiving penalties for any reason. TO many a long story short, I wished I would have made my res through a travel agent..paid the $10.00 fee..and had them retain my record. $10 now is better than the 200 I lost not to mention the time wasted on the phone talking to these idiots.

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 01:26 PM
Vic

Mrs. smarty pants is too dumb to buy her own ticket? sounds like a travel agent.

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 01:46 PM
sister

No..I"m not too dumb, but it cost me $200 nonetheless. (Heck everyone else guys their tickets on the web..why can't I?) Hindsight is always 20/20 Vic.<BR><BR>