I'm ticked off at Delta SkyMiles

Jun 25th, 2001, 10:07 AM
Lucy Parker

I'm ticked off at Delta SkyMiles

Everytime I try to use my Delta miles there is some hitch and I am unable to. Either the dates don't work or they're out of skymiles seats, etc. Therefore I keep accumulating them. I travel quite a bit, but on several different airlines so I never reach "medallion status" (usually just under the minimum each year) so that doesn't help me. Between the air travel, credit card, hotel stays, etc I have accumulated over 250,000 but I am never able to use them. I am planning to fly across the country next month and I thought I would use some to upgrade rather than try for a free ticket (out of the question at this date) so I called them. The "upgradeable rate" is more than 3 times the restricted coach rate offered on their web page, and on top of that I must cash in 20,000 miles! I think this is a scam. What good are getting miles when there are so many restrictions? Do others encounter similar problems? Is it just Delta or are all plans this strict?

Jun 25th, 2001, 03:02 PM
guy

Go down to the local Delta Ticket Office and let them try to find you a seat.You may be surprised what they can do. This is the time of the year that it is more difficult to redeem Skymiles. I have had the same problem from time to time. I have significant miles to redeem. I usually try to redeem them during non peak travel seasons.I would recommend that you go to the Delta Tkt Office.I the dates and let them work with you. What you need to know is that the situation changes by the day...and on a Monday they can not do anything for you, but if you called back on a Tuesday things have changed and the same seat that could not be had on MOnday can be had on Tuesday. Be persistent. I have been Platinum on Delta for a few years. I can assure you it does not matter if you are Medallion Status or not..mileage is mileage. I am a bit more conscious of the problem simply because I live in a Delta hub and fly exclusively Delta. I assume the same problem exists with about any airline..expecially this time of the year. I was able to recently redeem 400,000 Skymiles to take my family to Ireland, and was able to do it without any problems..Keep calling them back and be flexible within a day or two and I would think you will have some good results...

Jul 1st, 2001, 10:01 PM
lcuy

We had the same problem with United. I once got so frustrated, I called and said find me 4 free seats from Honolulu to any where in US, Japan or Canada in May, June or July. No luck. Another time I wanted to go to Japan Called on the exact date that teh seats come avoilable. No luck, but agent to sell me the upgrade--double the miles (80,000 for economy) and "much better chances of getting the seats". I said no thanks, but thought about it and called back asking for business class seats. they were only 60,000 miles AND we flew business class instead of economy!

Jul 15th, 2001, 10:36 AM
Diane

Personally, I collect United freq. flyer points and have had good luck most of the time cashing in. I either book up to nine months in advance or last minute. Within 30 days they are more likely to release seats that have not sold. Also, it has been easier to get business class than coach. With all the points you have, business class might be a good way to go. Also, one ticket is a lot easier to get than two tickets. You need to be persistent. If they have no seats for you one day, they might have one the next day. Call frequently.

Jul 18th, 2001, 02:44 PM
freewoman

Have never had a problem or a hitch with American on redeeming free miles. Have taken free trips within the US and to the Caribbean on several occasions. It sure makes the trip fun when you think part of it is free!!

Jul 30th, 2001, 05:13 PM
li

I have never had a problem with Delta. Three of flew to Maui last year on ff miles and plan to do it next yera too. We are alo going to Paris next month on AA miles. Remember that most of the airlines have partners on which you can use miles. If one airline does not have an ff seat, ask about one of its partners. Call back often. I was laughed at when I tried to book the Paris ticket by a few arlines, but I kept calling every few days and got exactly what I wanted.

Aug 11th, 2001, 02:16 AM
Tom Morse

Delta now lets you search for award tickets online. Also, if you are willing, you can usually get a ticket by paying the skychoice price (twice the miles)

Aug 11th, 2001, 09:01 AM
Jeff

I agree with Li. I have Delta FF miles. I called to ask if I can use it for Hawaii in Feb. He doubted that he could find too much, but I changed my days by a couple and he found me two tickets from NY to Maui on United flights to LA to OGG. My advice to you is to keep calling until you get a person on the phone who is willing to keep you on the phone until he finds something in the neighborhood of the dates that you are seeking. I just got my United tickets in the mail. Thanks to the nice Delta agent.