Whatever happened to paper airline tickets??

Jun 29th, 2001, 09:38 PM
t-bone

Whatever happened to paper airline tickets??

Is it me, or does it seem that all the major airlines are pushing the "E" ticket concept down our throats? I now notice that there is now a $10-$15 additional charge if you want a paper ticket. Most travel gurus recommend paper over electronic tickets, yet one must jump through hoops to acquire them. Is paperless travel going the way of the dinosaurs? Thanks!

Jun 29th, 2001, 09:43 PM
t-bone

Oops! What I meant to say: Are paper tickets going the way of the dinosaurs?

Jun 30th, 2001, 11:20 AM
Doug

I think paper tickets will be extinct in 5-10 years. The reason is very simple ... e-tickets are much less expensive for the airlines to process than paper tickets.

Jul 2nd, 2001, 10:57 AM
World Traveler

I only travel with Paper, and I've found that if charged an 'extra' cost - it's often well worth it. If you flight is cancled or you need to make a change of airlines, without paper, you could be in for long lines and a lot of disruption. Some airlines, like American, will give Paper to their Executive Plat. customers at no charge. Travel agents will often provide paper tickets as part of the 'fees' they now have to charge to stay in business.

Jul 10th, 2001, 10:18 AM
Maggie

Paper is better; especially if there's a problem with your flight. I just pony up the $10 and go my merry way.

Jul 30th, 2001, 08:51 PM
noetickets

Do not...I repeat Do no accept e tickets....they are not accepted by other airlines in case of cancellation of your flight....

Yes, they will go the way of the dino is we allow them to.

Aug 1st, 2001, 03:05 PM
Harvey

How exactly do etickets work? What is the procedure to convert them to paper? I have some to Paris on United this fall and got the fares at a very good price.

Aug 14th, 2001, 01:46 PM
Kathy

Some of the airlines started charging for a paper ticket, but if a travel agent issues the ticket, the airline doesn't impose a charge, because the cost is the agency's not the airline's. As someone mentioned, the airlines are pushing e-tickets for two reasons, to cut down on the cost of paper tickets, and to get you to purchase your tickets on the Internet, which, in general, has to be an e ticket. I always advise my client's to get a paper ticket for foreign travel, in case they have to make changes. Many people are requesting them for domestic travel, also, because the airlines are changing and cancelling flights so often.