Iceland Air questions

Search

Iceland Air questions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2006, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Iceland Air questions

They resumed their flights from San Francisco offering discounted non-stop, with taxes and everything on Travelocity $600. Didn't check the airline's website yet.

Should I jump on it? The schedules are convenient.

Are there shuttles to hotels in the airports, are they as easy to find as in US?

There are a couple of posts on Fodor's... anybody else?

I don't really care for food, drinks, enterntainment, just to get from point to point safely and on time. And then to the hotel.

I plan to fly in September.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 05:37 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
The return of their SF flights were featured on www.travelzoo.com this week.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 06:38 PM

I would jump on it. That's $259 air fare each way plus 80 bucks in taxes. Nonstops both ways.

Every big airport has inexpensive ways to get into town. I did some research for visiting Iceland and am pretty sure that KEF is too far from the city for (free) hotel shuttle buses to operate. But surely there are buses to hotels. Worst case is taking a bus to the city and then a cab.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 06:42 PM

Hey wait, fodors is not just a forum, it has travel info! Like this:

Transfers Between the Airport and Town

By Bus

The Reykjavík FlyBus ( PHONE: 562-1011) leaves Keflavík (from directly outside the terminal building) and arrives in Reykjavík at the Hótel Loftleiðir at Reykjavík Airport. From there you can take a taxi or municipal bus to your destination.

FlyBuses are scheduled in connection with each flight arrival and departure. For departures, catch the FlyBus at the Saga, Esja, and Loftleiðir hotels and the Grand Hotel Reykjavík. The FlyBus also leaves the youth hostel in Laugardalur at 5 AM daily June-August. The fare is IKr 600 (600 króna) per person. The ride takes 40-50 minutes.

By Taxi

Taking a taxi from the Keflavík Airport to Reykjavík is a little faster than the FlyBus and will cost IKr 4,500; if you share it with others, you can split the cost. Aðalstöðin (PHONE: 421-1515 or 425-2525).

Ökuleiðir (PHONE: 421-4141).
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 02:57 AM

Icelandair is using a 767 from San Francisco to KEF. You pay for all drinks but coffee, water and tea. They do give you a meal which is good--if you are hungry.

The airport at KEF is easy to use and they do have some great duty free shops. I would do a stop-over in Iceland and check out the Blue Lagoon and take the Ring Tour if I were you. September would be a good month. Ocean water is warmer.

There is an airport bus from KEF to the downtown area which is about 45 minutes away.

Alcohol is expensive in Iceland so stock up or plan to pay $9 for a glass of wine.
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, all... still waiting for my manager to confirm the time off
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 06:44 PM

It's a great fare for September and I found Icelandair to be fine when I used it several years ago. For the stay in Reykjavik, we packaged in the hotel and the Flybus was included.
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 02:55 AM

I stayed at the hostel for four nights in Reykjavik because I'm cheap. There was a hugh swimming pool across the street, outdoor heated to 95 degrees where I warmed up each day.
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 04:31 PM

No problems with IcelandAir, been to Iceland twice and flew them twice but all of the flights were very bumpy, obviously no fault to airline. Flew BWI to KEF.

Amazing country. I used a package deal thru IcelandAir.com was very cheap to get there but once there...very expensive
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 05:59 PM

Wally, did that 95 degree pool also constitute your bath each day?
8-)
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 07:31 PM

Just got back from Iceland last week. Flew Iceland Air out of BWI with no issues. Actually it was one of my more pleasant flying experiences. If you do an Iceland getaway package your transport will be taken care of. And take advantage of any free offers Icelandair has to Laugar Spa, I though it was far more relaxing than the Blue Lagoon.
Old May 7th, 2006, 02:19 AM

We flew Icelandair from BOS to CDG with a stopover in Reykjavik on the way back. We were very happy with Icelandair. The food was typical airline food (the rolls were hot, the butter delicious)and the soda was also free, not just water, tea, and coffee. We were upgraded on the way over to business on the KEF to CDG leg. The people at the counter in Boston were very nice and the transfer at KEF to CDG was effortless. The airport is set up for Icelandair flights. On the return flight we arranged with iceland excursions to pick us up and take us to the Blue Lagoon and then to our airport. Blue Lagoon was a MUST experience. We loved it. We arranged our own hotel and stayed at the Hotel Fron in 101 Reykjavik. Definitely could recommend it. IKEA like furniture with a small kitchenette. Yes, Iceland is very expensive. We only stayed one night. We did not exchange any money and used our debit card for everything. At the airport they did take dollars and paper euros (not euro coins. Everyone spoke english, well. I would certainly use Icelandair again. I buy my tickets by the fare and this time they were the best. Reykjavik was a great ending to a great vacation.