Notices

IAD to PRG: which is better stop FRA vs. MUC

Old Jan 6th, 2005, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
IAD to PRG: which is better stop FRA vs. MUC

Am looking at United flights from Dulles to Prague. Would like opinions on which stopover is better for going and returning (security lines, customs, etc.). FWIW, I am also considering some flights with less than a 90 minute stopover. Thanks so much.
Old Jan 6th, 2005, 09:48 AM
P_M

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If it's just a layover, it would seem like customs will not be necessary. You're not going into Germany, just changing gates or perhaps terminals. I'm not sure if you would have to go through security either, since you will already be arriving into the secured area. I don't think I did that when I was there, but that was pre-911. Maybe someone else can answer that question. I've been to both airports and I thought Frankfurt was a little nicer, but much busier.
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 05:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I had a 50 minute connection through FRA on to Dresden. Booked it through Lufthansa. The flight was late out of Dulles and made up little, if any, time. The FA said a min of 60 minutes was necessary. I havent gone through MUC, yet, but I would try that instead of FRA and keep the connection time closer to 90 min than 60.
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ttt
Old Jan 21st, 2005, 08:01 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Transitting through Munich is very very easy, as the new terminal (2 - which both United and Lufthansa use) was constructed with just that in mind. On the way there, all you need to do is walk from your arriving gate to your departing gate (no immigration as you're going from non-Schengen to non-Schengen, no security, no anything). On the way back you'll need to walk from your arriving gate to your departing gate, where you'll pass security for US-bound planes on US-based airlines.

There are nice shops and restaurants in Munich to kill time if you need to. Also, Lufthansa has free coffee & tea machines at many gates.

Frankfurt actually works in much the same way; however, it is a much busier airport, a much older terminal, and thus it could require more walking and paying attention so you don't end up outside security, etc. I'do Munich if I were you (especially now that UA flies the 777 there as well).
Old Jan 21st, 2005, 08:04 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Btw, Lufthansa establishes the minimum connection time in Munich at 25 minutes!!! So with 90 minutes you should be more than fine.
Old Jan 21st, 2005, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
chtiet,

Excellent! I'll go via Munich. Thanks you.