Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Lufthansa connections between Frankfurt/ Munich- too short?

Old Jan 27th, 2004, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all,
I am looking into booking a decent price to Italy via Lufthansa Airlines. The segment go like this:
PHL to FRA - arrives @0740
FRA to MUC - leaves @ 0835; arrives @ 0930
MUC to FCO - leaves @ 1040; arrives @ 1210
are the connections too short considering this is a transatlantic flight,customs, baggage,etc? I believe the flights are all run by Lufthansa airlines and not a partner airline. We are traveling w/ 2 small children and 1 grandma so 'speed' is out of the question. Thanks for any input on this.
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 11:24 AM

You won't have to worry about customs and baggage until you arrive in Rome but you will have to go through immigration in Frankfurt. The Franfurt airport is very large and just because your next flight is also on Lufhansa doesn't necessarily mean that the gate won't be a twenty minute walk away. I would be concerned about making these connections. I would try for a later flight out of Frankfurt.
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 11:28 AM

We flew out of Newark to Munich, changing planes in Frankfurt. Just about the same times -- our luggage never made our connection and was delivered to our hotel in Munich at midnight. And you've got one more connection.

I think the connections are too short. If you do decide, make sure you take a change of clothes & some toiletries with your carry on.

By the way, when are you going, and how much? We're looking for some sort of deal for September. We can go out of Newark, Phila, or JFK.
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 11:33 AM

Did you find a good price for your trip? I tried to get a good price on a trip from ORD to FCO for my spring break. The flight to FRA from ORD is "reasonable" but the added price to FCO was NOT! So far I've booked only to FRA. I am on UAL and would have continued on to FCO on Luft.

I've done the ORD to ZRH trip via FRA a number of times, switching from UAL to Luft and have not had problems making connections in FRA. But, as was mentioned before, just because it is all Luft does not mean the flights are anywhere near each other.

Have a great time.
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 11:37 AM

In Frankfurt, you have to go back thru security once you arrive and go thru immigration. I can remember it was a zoo. Then we had to switch terminals (underground tunnel), and once we got to our gate, we were bussed out to the airplane.

If you can get a 2-hour connection, I think that would be better.