I need your help in making a donation!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 2003, 04:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since I fly a great deal on AA, I will be receiving 2 free tickets due to the "Fly three, get one free" promotion. There are restrictions, but basically they are good within continental US.
I will not be able to use the tickets, so I thought there may be an organization that could use them.
My first thought was that maybe some military social agency could provide them to a family of an injured, recovering Iraq war veteran, as long as it's within US.
My second choice would be for any organization that helps the families of terminally ill children.

I've never done this before, so I don't know where to start. I'm looking for a name, address and/or phone number of any organization that works with the people mentioned above. (Please, no private names or addresses)

Thanks!

I'm also posting this on US Forum.
Old Aug 5th, 2003, 04:49 PM

I would think AA could help you with this. My husband passed away and I just donated his miles to their program for sick kids. I'm thinking they would do the same for tickets. I did it right on their web site.
Old Aug 5th, 2003, 05:39 PM
cfc

Where are you, AAFF?
Old Aug 5th, 2003, 05:41 PM
Original Poster

Sarasota, Florida
Old Aug 5th, 2003, 06:13 PM
cfc

I went to the American Red Cross website (www.redcross.org) to see if AA is one of those participating in the donate-miles program and no, they aren't. I realize you're talking about tickets rather than miles, but I thought it might provide a context and contact to make a donation. Still, as Louise mentions, it might be worth asking them directly.

However, I would think the Red Cross would still be an agency to know of needs of service men and/or their families or of others in some need. You can try the main website, but the Sarasota branch is: Southwest Florida Chapter, 2001 Cantu Ct, Sarasota, FL 34232-6239. Be aware, though, that regional offices often don't coordinate as well with the national office as they probably should, so you might want to contact the national office in DC.

The reason I asked where you live is also because some of the larger cities tend to have frequent "silent auction" or even live auction benefits for various causes, which might have been another idea. I would think that the population in Sarasota is so seasonally variable that there wouldn't be the same core of wealthy-benefactor residents who attend such things that you might find in WashDC or Chicago or Houston....

In any case, I hope you find the right place to donate these tickets -- please do let us know. It can be so senseless and frustrating to want to help someone and not find the mechanisms in place to connect yourself with the people who need help.
Old Aug 6th, 2003, 01:08 AM

Good onya, AAFF. May I suggest contacting either the Make a Wish Foundation or Starlight Foundation. These organisations both grant "wishes" for sick kids and help families who have to travel great distances for medical treatment. I'm sure they'd be thrilled to have the tickets, as they may be able to use them to help either fulfill a wish (a sick child's trip to Disneyland, for example) or help a family travel to be with their child during treatment.

Both organisations have websites that I'm sure will be easy to find.

Cheers
Old Aug 6th, 2003, 05:10 AM

www.bellaonline.com
www.soldieronpoint.com

Operation Relax
4950 SW 72nd Ave 2nd Floor
Miami FL 33155
This office coordinates responses from travel supppliers who offer complimentary travel benefits to military personnel.
The RedCross accepts donated tickets/miles to enable their staff to travel,thus reducing their operating costs and enhancing their capability to raise money more easily.
Good Luck!.....S