Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just made my first million!

airline miles that is.....

Looked at my Mileage Summary on www.aa.com:

<i>Summary Date: Jan 2006

Program to Date Miles: <b>1,004,721</b>

YTD Elite Qualifying Points: 19,066

YTD Elite Qualifying Miles: 18,117</i>

90% is actual flying with the applicable bonuses, so about ~1/2 million miles with my-butt-in-the-seat! ouch...

In between I also flew ~100K miles with award tickets and another ~50K miles with other airlines and US AirForce!

It took ~4.5 years!

AAdvantage Gold Status for the lifetime of the program!

Now on to the second million and Platinum Status for the lifetime of the program.

Currently Executive Platinum and already a good start to requalify for next year!

This will only interest some die hard flyers around here, but I needed to share this great news!

Old Jan 29th, 2006, 02:40 PM

congrats - so that is how you know everything there is to know about airlines, schedules, tips, etc.

Hope you have actually been able to see the world and not just airports and hotel lobbys.
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 02:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks <b>gail</b>,

I did get to actually visit many places in the world, some I didn't think that I would ever see, but I also did register many airports and hotel rooms without actually having the opportunity to explore the surrounding areas.

That's part of the job and all this flying.
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 03:05 PM

Wow! I am impressed! That is a whole lot of miles!

Thank you for always being here to help us out with our airline questions!
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 03:37 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Congrats on GFL.

How many segments do you think?

More important, how many BIYS?
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

<b>Gardyloo</b>,

I didn't keep track of segments. As you know, until this year AA had no qualification by segments for EXP. I would say I averaged between 50-60 per year.

~1/2 million miles BIS! once again - ouch!
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 05:53 PM

What I asked was how many B in Y S miles?
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 06:33 PM

Congrats on the GFL status! That's a lot of flying in ~54 months. At this month's pace you'd double that in 27 months. No, make that 28 months, considering that you will be flying for February on that fab award trip.
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 07:25 PM
Original Poster

<b>Gardyloo</b>,

I thought I knew all this stuff, but I have to admit, I'm not sure what you're asking?

I assume it's butt-in-coach-seat?

if that is it, I can only take a guess. ~100K. In the early days, I took many flights as a Gold, later as a Plat and could not afford nor could I justify using upgrade stickers.
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 07:32 PM
emd

Well, I am not a die hard flyer but it impresses the hell out of me.

Here I sit at almost midnight of Jan 29, trying to book a quick cheap RT that I can do on Tues. so that I can qualify for Premier UA status for 2006. UA gave me Premier status for Oct. 2005 through Feb. 2006 and said I only had to do two RTs by end of Jan. to qualify for Premier for all of 2006. I didn't do a thing about it. Now, I have to fly probably 8 times RT IAD to LA in next 2 months. Yesterday I flew a 777 from LAX to IAD and got bumped from economy to business, and then as we were boarding I got bumped to 1st. It was amazing, a whole new world. So here I am, trying to get in a RT before end of Jan. It's pitiful, I know.

And there you are with your bazillion miles and lifetime gold.

Kudos!

=D&gt; =D&gt; =D&gt; =D&gt; =D&gt; =D&gt;
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 07:54 PM
emd

It was the plane w/the United suite configuration in 1st. Oooolala. Sigh. I am hooked now.
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 09:09 PM

AAFF - yeah, that's what I meant. Sometimes I get too clever for myself.
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 03:29 AM

Congrats AAFF, and good luck on the second million.

I'll have to admit I've never paid much attention to the million-mile mark. For whatever reason, I thought it was one million air miles, not program miles (maybe that's how United's works). I just looked at my last AA statement, and I have just about 750,000 program miles to date. Maybe I should do something about that.....

emd - I could be completely wrong about this - but you might want to check the fine print on that United promo re: the temporary Premier status and two round trips by Jan 31 to retain it. My 12 YO daughter also received that promo, and I almost went for it since we already had one flight booked, until I read that the qualifying fares were something like H and higher. Cheap flights would not qualify. But I know they sometimes adjust their promos for different segments, and I've long since thrown away all the printed material on that particular one.

Old Jan 30th, 2006, 06:12 AM

aaff, congrats. what are the bennies?
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 09:07 AM

I currently have flown over 3 million miles on AA - (actually 3.4 - working on 4 million) and the advantages of having flown that many miles on one airline are fantastic. I get automatically upgraded to first class 95% of the time (I'm executive platinum), get VIP upgrade stickers that can be used on international travel (so I usually buy coach tickets to Europe and then upgrade using my VIP stickers). In addition, when I have problems (i.e., like the recent time I showed up at the wrong airport to fly to Washington DC) - the check-in agent just told me not to worry that she would take care of it - and she did at no additional cost to me.

It truly has been adventageous for me to stick to one airline.
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 10:53 AM

Congratulations, AA, how many times is this around the Earth?
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

<b>kuranosuke</b>

My beenies come from Executive Platinum status, but the million miles does give me Gold status for life of the program. Gold is the lowest status, so it's really not much, but it's better than nothing....
Second million will be the one... Platinum status for life. A more serious status with some very nice perks.
There is no Executive Platinum for life possibility. That one you have to earn year after year.

<b>FainaAgain</b>

circumference of the earth at the equator is 24902 mi
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 11:15 AM

Congrats!
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 01:12 PM

I am taking this seriously

1,004,721 : 24,902 = 40.35
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 01:13 PM

Congrats -

While I don't fly AA these days as I live in Houston, I do have some fond memories of them:

- According to my parents, my very first plane ride. On AA from CLE to LAX (don't know direct routing) in 1971 when I was a baby, to connect to NW to HKG.

- My first trans-Atlantic flight, ORD-MAN in a 763 in 1990.

- My one and only international upgrade was on AA60 NRT-DFW, also around 1989-90. It was operated with the 747-SP at that time, and the C-class seat was a very comfortable 2-3-2 seating. [Most airlines do 2-4-2 on the 747]. I got the middle seat, but I wasn't complaining. I remembered that the guy next to me asked for milk right after take-off, and went to sleep right away, skipping both meals. I couldn't believe it! The C-class meal was excellent.

- My shortest plane flight was also on AA. Flew in Summer 1984 on an AA flight DCA-IAD-DFW. I have no idea why they operate like this, but DCA-IAD is 23 miles. [I was visiting the US with my mom and sister that year; and we bought 12-coupon visitors' passes on AA. Went through DFW way too many times! ]

- Also, on that same trip to US, my one and still only domestic FC travel. Someone messed up our itinerary BUF-ORD; and we had to standby. After waiting at BUF the whole day, we finally got on the late flight, and one of the seats was FC. Don't know how and why, but I sat in it, while my mom and sister sat in the back. [Well, I guess my mom didn't feel like leaving me and my sister (13 and 11) in the back, and it'd make no sense to have my sister sitting in FC, right?]

Anyways, those are my AA stories. Let's hear some from AAFF!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -