Search

I found my headphones! Shure E4c

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17th, 2005, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I found my headphones! Shure E4c

Here's a little story of my quest:

Ever since I got my first iPod in 2001, I've been searching the best headphones to be used when I'm on the go - on buses, trains, ferries, and of course planes. Here are the ones I've tried.

[I haven't used headphones frequently since getting my first car in 1989. And since about 5-6 years ago, I've been a lot more critical to my audio equipment.]

1. Heaphones that come with my 1G iPod (I pre-ordered my 5GB iPod from Apple, and got it delivered the day it was released). One word - crap. No bass, no treble, no mids. So, the quest is on.

2. Sony MDR-NC10. I've always liked ear buds, and I learned about this in-ear canal headphones that also have a noise-cancellation circuit. Not cheap when I bought them for about $150. But the sound is pretty good, and good sound isolation even when the circuit is off. I love them except for one problem - their look is simply hideous! Looks like I was wearing oversized ear-rings. Simply embarassing. Another problem is that it took me many weeks of using them daily to feel comfortable. At first, it'd actually get painful after an hour or so.

Still, I love the sound, so I tolerated its looks until a few months ago, when 1) I lost one of the in-ear sleeve, and I can't just replace that part; and 2) I got a new iPod Nano and want something that has matching looks.

3. The headphones that come with the newer iPods are quite a bit better than my first one. Much better bass, but the sound doesn't have much detail. Actually, probably too much bass. Also, they are not noise-isolating, and they fall off my ears easily.

4. Since I had good experience with the Sonys, I tried their newer MDR-NC11A. They look much better than the 10s, came in iPod-matching white, and rubber in-ear sleeves of several sizes. And they're cheaper at around $75. Perfect, I thought, until I listened to them. Gosh, if the NC10s are a Lexus, the NC11As are Corollas. The noise-cancellation circuit works fine on planes and buses, but music quality suck, and they don't isolate noise as well as the NC10s when the NC circuit is off.

5. I got so desperate that I even tried the Griffin EarJams that attach to standard iPod headphones to make them in-ear type. But the result is it exaggerates the bass and make the already mediocre mids and highs worse. Unlistenable.

6. With a Italy trip coming up, I know I have to do something. I've read a lot of good things about the Shure E3c, which are about $130 if you look hard enough. Well, I thought if I could get the upgraded E4c, I should be even more happy. Most retailers are still selling them for the list price of $299, but I found a couple of online places that sell them for about $170.

So, I received them yesterday, and I love them so much that I'm even wearing them right now in front of my computer screen. Here's what I like about them.

- They are very small. Smallest in the Shure lineup, and the smallest and lightest phones I've ever used.

- It's well built. Connectors, wires, everything is much better than the Sony MDR-NC11A and a little better than the NC10s. With a 2-year warranty, I feel like these can last a long time for me.

- It comes with a carrying case, 4 pairs sets of soft sleeves (S, Mx2, L), 3 pairs of regular sleeves (S, M, L), one pairs of foam sleeves and one pair of a strange-looking flange-type inserts. There must be one that fit your ears. Also has a ear-wax cleaner, and a pair of replacement sound tube, large phono adapter and an in-line volume control. I wish they've shipped with a airline adapter, but I already have a couple at home.

- The isolation is very good. The seal is better than anything I have used, because I could find the best fit (small, soft sleeve) which goes way in into my ear. I really think this compensates for the lack of a noise-cancellation circuit.

- Finally, the sound. It's just great. Overall it has very good balance. Bass is adequate and "right", not lacking and not over powering. It has great bass extension, but will not shake you like a subwoofer for sure. Detail is really excellent. I don't write for audiophile magazines, so I will spare you from all the stuff about "air" and "presence". I'll just say that even if you're an audiophile, you will find the sound more than acceptable.
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 03:37 PM

rk, read about the shure in the ua mag. ssooo, where did you buy them? $170 is a very good price. i am currently using the bose 2, good, but bulky.
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

I ordered it from shipdog.com. Worried that I may not get it before my trip this Saturday, I used the 3-day shipping. I placed the order Tuesday night, and it arrived Friday. Very satisfied.

They also have the E2c and E5c, but not the popular E3c. At $369, the E5c wasn't that good of a deal, I thought.
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 04:29 PM

do-jay, rk.
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

Ng sai hark hei.
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 06:19 PM

Kuranosuke,

do you like the Bose 2 enough to recommend them to others? I've been haphazardly thinking about them.
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 07:41 AM

the bose 2 is excellent, and i really enjoy them with my ipod, and on the airline video/audio system. yes, i recommend the bose 2.
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

I have not used a Bose QC, but in general Bose products are overpriced. And the QCs are way too big for MY travel. I love everything light and small, and just recently replaced my original iPod to a nano.

But if you don't mind large headphones, and are willing to spend some money, at least check out the Sennheisers. They have several models of noise-cancelling ones, and the most expensive one is still only $219 MSRP ($119 at ecost.com). Also foldable with case and airline adapter.
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

That sennheiser model is PXC 300.
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 11:40 AM

Thanks guys! I'll check them all out.
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 04:33 PM
Original Poster

I want to bump this thread up for an update.

After enjoying my headphones almost daily for 20 months, the phones developed a problem. The connection between the wire and the plug was damaged, and I have to jiggle the wire to get sound to my right phone.

I sent the phones in to Shure just before Labor Day, and they just sent me a replacement under the two-year warranty! Fast turnaround and no question asked.

The model name has changed from E4c to SCL4. The actual phones are identical (except they're now made in China instead of Mexico), but the packaging and accessories are a little different.

Two major differences are very significant improvements.

- The 3 sizes of the "harder" sleeves have been replaced by 3 sizes of black foams. I tried them, and they form an even better seal than any of the sleeves before. This is what I will use now.

- There's now a ridge on the little soundtube, so that the sleeves won't slide off as easily. This should help keep the sleeves on the phones and won't be left behind in the ear when you pull them off quickly.

I highly recommend those who have Shures to buy these new accessories. They are great improvements to the already excellent headphones.