Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

How much time for layovers and clearing customs?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12th, 2013, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am travelling RDM to VCE returning FCO to RDM. There are so many routing options I am trying to determine how much time to allow for changing planes and clearing customs before planning the next step of my journey. I am travelling on Delta September 2014.

I understand the gig is up and all plans go to H____ on a band wagon if weather or aircraft issues arrive but I'm trying to think/plan for the best scenario with backups in mind.

First choice (which I can hardly believe) is a layover of 37 minutes in ATL before boarding for Venice ... that seems to close for me. BUT what about 65 minutes is that reasonable (do able) in ATL for a plane change? I am trying to stay under a total of 20 hours travel time.

Arriving in Venice in the afternoon. My general rule of thumb is to allow 2 hours for customs before planning on getting the train. Does this seem reasonable for Venice or is to too long? short?

Returning to the United States I have the option again of 65 minutes between planes in SEA before continuing to RDM, again is this too short a time for customs clearing?

So will those of you with experience with any of these airports and their transfer and/or customs clearing time share your opinions please.

Thanks and happy travels.
Old Oct 12th, 2013, 03:38 PM

1. 65 minutes at ATL should be adequate.
2. Where are you riding the train from VCE to? You don't need to prebook most trains anyways.
3. 65 minutes at SEA, okay ONLY IF you have Global Entry and no checked luggage.
Old Oct 13th, 2013, 01:42 AM

I second rkkwan's advice.
Old Oct 13th, 2013, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both! I am skeptical about ATL but knew in my heart the time in SEA was too short ..... no global entry and will, unfortunately, have checked luggage.

Again, my thanks!
Old Oct 13th, 2013, 11:42 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm not seeing any 65 min. connections in Seattle using Delta next September, only 85 min. connections (assuming you're changing planes in Amsterdam and flying AMS-SEA.)

I'm also seeing connections through Portland that look easier on the system - FCO-AMS-PDX-RDM, with 2 hours at Schiphol and 3 at Portland, plenty of time given PDX's low volume of international flights. Elapsed time is still well under 20h.
Old Oct 13th, 2013, 04:45 PM

Hi,
I travel quite a bit and I must say I'm a bit more on the "better to be safe than sorry" side. I try to have at least 2 hours with International flights and even 3 if LAX or SFO.
Keep in mind that flights can be late getting in and then your connection time is even less.
Plus, there is always the chance that you can be pulled aside to have your bags checked. As I said, I plan for things like that. I have been caught out so I choose to avoid that happening again if I can

For domestic flights usually an hour is enough but 1.5 isn't terrible either.
Enjoy your trip...
Old Oct 13th, 2013, 11:45 PM

<<Arriving in Venice in the afternoon. My general rule of thumb is to allow 2 hours for customs before planning on getting the train. Does this seem reasonable for Venice or is to too long? short? >>

There is no train at Venice airport, so you'll have to factor in the bus or taxi journey to the train station. Where will you be taking the train to?
Old Oct 14th, 2013, 02:41 PM
Original Poster

Gardyloo - typo should have used 85 minutes for Seattle connection. Yes, I agree the FCO-AMS-PDX-RDM is a much nicer flight option. I was being lazy and trying to avoid an early morning departure in Rome. My travelling companion does best with later departures and short flights ... his wishes may not be met this time.

DebinOz - I think I am leaning towards my conservative ways and allowing a min of 2 hours at US customs arrival port.

Cymraeg - I am going onto Bolzano for 2 days then to St. Ulrich and Cortina for 3 weeks of walking / hiking in the Dolomites, followed by 3 weeks in Venice, Florence, and Rome. This trip is scheduled for Sept-Oct 2014.

Thanks all for your comments.
Old Oct 14th, 2013, 08:04 PM

The airport bus from VCE to Mestre runs around 3 per hour, but you need to look at the schedule, as it is not exactly every 20 minutes, and the trip takes 17 minutes according to them.

And at most secondary airports in Europe, you often find that there are only two immigration officers meeting a flight from non-Schengen countries, like if you fly direct from the US. One for EU Citizens only until he/she clears all of those. Therefore it may take a little while before you go through immigration, depending on where you sit on the plane and how fast you get to the immigration line.

You should find train connections from Mestre to Bolzano every hour or so, so you just get there when you get there.
Old Oct 14th, 2013, 08:58 PM

St. Ulrich/Ortisei is magnificent. I envy you. Yes, go at the beginning of your trip because many cable cars, lifts etc. start closing down mid-September.