How crowded is LAX?

Search

How crowded is LAX?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2022, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How crowded is LAX?

Happy Thursday! Anyone depart on American Airlines out of LAX lately? I'm wondering how early we need to be there on Saturday (checking bags).

Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 7th, 2022, 04:22 PM
J62

Originally Posted by lrice
Happy Thursday! Anyone depart on American Airlines out of LAX lately? I'm wondering how early we need to be there on Saturday (checking bags).

Thanks in advance!
I would get there by 5am just to be safe.
Old Jul 7th, 2022, 05:06 PM

I’m guessing J62’s reply is a bit tongue in cheek since you didn’t say what time your flight is, whether it’s an international or domestic flight, whether you a flying First/Business Class or Economy, have checked-in and got your boarding passes online and if you have TSA Pre-check status.

If you check-in and get your boarding passes online (you can do this up to 24 hours in advance) you can use the self-service kiosks at the airport to print out your baggage tags. After affixing the tags to your luggage you just give them to the attendant and make your way to the TSA checkpoint. If you choose this option you’ll be fine arriving about 60 to 75 minutes prior to departure.

If you decide not to check-in online American recommends you arrive at the airport 2 hours prior to departure for a domestic flight and 3 hours for an international flight.

Old Jul 7th, 2022, 07:12 PM

Two hours domestic and three international is the minimum recommendation. Don't forget it takes a while to actually get to your terminal.
Old Jul 8th, 2022, 08:36 AM

The top deck (departure level) of the horseshoe is pretty crowded. You definitely don't want to underestimate the time needed just to get around to T5. It took ~20 minutes longer than I expected (on a Thu afternoon).

How are you getting to the airport, that last ~mile? Shuttle or private car? The shuttle will take you on the departure level. If I were dropping you off then I would probably go to the arrivals level and have you take the escalator/elevator up to departure level
Old Jul 9th, 2022, 06:44 AM

If you are taking an Uber/Lyft bear in mind that a lot of drivers don't like to go to LAX because of the hassles of getting a fare back out. So allow an extra half hour or so just to be sure you are able to get a ride!
Old Jul 12th, 2022, 12:09 AM

I would recommend arriving three hours before departure to make sure
Old Jul 13th, 2022, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

A quick update! Our flight was on American (economy) and at 1:25 pm on a Saturday. From the time we edited our Uber, checked our bags, and got through security was 25 minutes. Needless to say, it was empty.

Old Jul 13th, 2022, 07:46 AM

Great! What time was your scheduled departure?