Reload this Page >

How cold ARE Asian airlines & airports?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10th, 2005, 09:58 PM
JohnWM

I'll be traveling to SE Asia in May, and am wondering just how cold the air flights and airports will be in Hong Kong, Taipei, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, and Bangkok. Some posters have mentioned needing a sweater or a lined windbraker, etc. Is the air conditioning really that chilly?
Should I actually bring along a sweater or a lined windbraker?

Other posters have mentioned that the subways and skytrains are very chilly, too. Are any readers here actually familiar with the situation? Thanks much.

Old Feb 11th, 2005, 12:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
like all long haul flights, the cabit starts off quite cold then warms up in the middle as the air gets stale (turn off one of the air exchangers to save fuel). it's always best to have something at least long sleaved. for indoor areas in SE asia, the aircon can be a little strong but no more so than i have noticed in many places in the US. As compared to europe, however, it is over-airconned.
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 01:00 AM

Dear JohnWM,

Have visited all airports that you mention other than Taipei over the past couple of years and haven't noticed that the airports are particularly cold. I have noted, however, that the planes that I and my family have travelled on, (using at least 5 different operators), have all been too hot for the majority of the flight. If its a longish night flight I think the crew prefer you to sleep and be less demanding! They usually hand out blankets and pillows on medium/long haul flights too. We normally travel with a holdall containing an extra layer for our son of 6. This is also handy incase he pours something over himself.Otherwise we haven't needed the extra layer until we've landed back at Heathrow in the midst of winter and reached the car park!
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 09:02 AM
JohnWM

Thank you both, walkinaround and jani, for sharing your experiences. They gave me a clearer idea of what to expect.

Old Feb 11th, 2005, 10:50 AM

Keep in mind who's giving you the information. For example, while I was walking around Hong Kong in a T-shirt in 60F temperature, locals have minks and furs out. You may see many locals wearing sweaters if they work in the Hong Kong airport, but for most N. Americans, that's not necessary.

Well, unless you have a long layover and need to take a nap...
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 09:39 PM
JohnWM

And a cordial note of thanks to you too, rkkwan! BTW: I am a middle-aged New Yorker who prefers the air conditioning simply medium, not faint and not ferocious. I suppose a light windbraker will end up being adequate. Thanks again, all!

Old Feb 12th, 2005, 06:24 AM
sandi

A windbreaker would serve well if you get caught in a shower. Otherwise, a sweater or lt. weight casual jacket might work better. Though planes, airports and most indoor establishments are air-conditioned, once outdoors it's "uglier" than the "3-H'" of a NYC summer.

Old Feb 12th, 2005, 04:48 PM
JohnWM

Thanks very much, sandi! Living in Manhattan, I do indeed know about the hot, hazy, and humid routine that seems to arrive in mid-June.