Help with Delta miles about to expire

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7th, 2006, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We live abroad and haven't earned Delta skymiles these past two years. I checked the website for ways to earn points and found we aren't allowed to use the non-airline, car rental or hotel partners because we reside outside the US. So now they have arbitrarily changed our expiration dates to Dec. 31 2006 instead of 2007 -- and ironically we are planning a trip to the US next summer. I will try to save my points and my husband's by joining points.com, which I read about in an earlier e-mail, but my 14-year old has over 25,000 miles and can't join points.com because he is under 18. Can anyone give us suggestions of ways not to lose his points and any alternatives for us to have activity other than points.com? The clock is ticking to the expiration date.
Old Dec 7th, 2006, 08:14 AM

Not really a way to salvage the expiring miles, but if ush comes to shove, you can always donate miles to charity. We also had problem converting NW miles to Europe--lost good chunk when we converted to FlyingDutchman, which subsequently merged with AF FFP...
Old Dec 7th, 2006, 09:26 AM

I had that problem with American miles and posted the question on www.flyertalk.com. Those great people there came up with a couple of solutions and one was to go to the Bose website and listen to a short video about their new earphones. I received 150 miles which was enough to activate my American account again. You can select any particular airline on Flyertalk by clicking on the Miles and Points topic in the middle under forums.
Old Dec 7th, 2006, 11:10 AM

For $29.56 you can buy him 1,000 miles on the Delta website if you are too honest to fudge his age a bit on points.com.
Old Dec 8th, 2006, 06:06 AM

You can also through the Delta website link to shopping sites where you get so many miles for each dollar spent.
But you have to acsess the shopping sites through the Delta site to get miles. I have done this in the past to keep my miles from expiring and there are alot of companies so you should have no problem having things sent abroad.
You have to dig through the Delta website to find it. I think it is called Sky Miles shopping.
Old Dec 8th, 2006, 12:40 PM

First, call Delta and ask for a solution. A good agent will find a solutionh rather than lose a whole family of customers, but be prepared to call back if the first agent you get isn't good.

Second, post an inquiry on the Delta forum at flyertalk. The people who hang out there often know more than the Delta agents.

I don't know the Delta program, but I'm wondering what would happen if your son bought a ticket with his miles, then cancedlled it. I know some airlines will redeposit the miles, some with a fee. I think others will issue a voucher good for a year.

Good luck.
Old Dec 9th, 2006, 08:07 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Order someone a Christmas arrangement from FTD or 1-800-Flowers and put it on your Delta miles account. Just because you are living outside the US, doesn't mean you can't shop online and earn miles.
Old Dec 9th, 2006, 02:58 PM

We used 180K DAL sky miles for business seats on partners Avianca and AeroMexico in Oct/Nov.
The MEX-BOG-EZE was not great, but the SCL-MEX was super.
Argentina and Chile are really great, and the USD still buys some super restaurant meals with outstanding wines.
M (SMdA, Gto.)