Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Help...Will I make my connection in Newark..flying from Vancouver

Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I hope someone will be able to help me. I have a flight from Vancouver to Newark midweek in mid august on Air Canada, it leaves at half 10 in the morning. I have a connecting flight to Dublin with Continental Airlines due to depart exactly 1 hour after I arrive in Newark. I am on holiday in Canada at the moment, Does anyine know whether I will make it? I am travelling on my own with 1 suitcase and I am prepared to run(im a young man, so no prob there).

any help/tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 05:08 PM

I don't see the non-stop flight at 10:30a from YVR to EWR for mid-August. But anyways, if you're arriving on AC from Canada (non-stop YVR or connection through YYZ), you'll pre-clear US immigration and customs in Canada. That's the good news.

Bad news is that AC uses Gate A12 at EWR. It is one of the piers at EWR Terminal A that does not have airside shuttle to Continental's Terminal C. Which means you'll have to ride the AirTrain and reclear security. Definitely possible, but with not much margin.
Old Jul 24th, 2010, 07:19 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I am not familiar with Newark specifically, but the deciding factor about making close connection is always... does the first flight land on time?
with only 1 hour there isn't much wiggle room, if your flight is delayed departure, or gets stuck on the tarmac waiting for a gate to be available, or common things like that that happen to delay people actually being OFF their flight at the exact arrival time.
Old Jul 24th, 2010, 07:57 AM

Good Grief - getting through the TSA Security Checkpoint at EWR can be a long process - you can't avoid this because you'll be changing terminals. You don't give your arrival time in EWR but if it's mid-day the security lines may no be too long. That's a plus BUT you can't count on not encountering any delays.

Remember you have to deal with Murphy's Law of Airports - which clearly states the shorter your connectime (and in this case 1 hour is short) the more chances there are your inbound flight will be delayed, You'll be sitting in the rear of the plane and one of the last to get off, your arrival gate will be the one furthest from the AirTram, the AirTram between terminals will be running behind schedule, the TSA lines will be long and you'll connecting flight will be leaving from the furthest gate. Conversely, if you have a 3 hour layover, your inbound flight will arrive early, you'll be one of the first passengers to deplane, the transportation between terminals will be quick, there will be no lines at the TSA checkpoint and your departure gate will be the one closest to the TSA checkpoint.

No one can give you any assurances but 1 hour is really a short connecting time. Remember too, the outbound flight will begin boarding about 30 minutes prior to scheduled departure and the gate agents could actually stop the boardiing process 5 or 10 minutes prior to departure so factor that into your decision. It's a big risk. Is there a later flight you can take?
Old Jul 24th, 2010, 09:57 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Way too short off a connecting flight at Newark. U could make it, but as others have said, everything has to line up perfectly. I'd try to take an earlier flight into Newark. Good luck!
Old Jul 24th, 2010, 03:33 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
I also don't see any Air Canada flights that depart at that hour that would get you to EWR in time for either the 7:10 or 9:55 PM departures to Dublin. Are these flights on the same ticket or separate tickets?
Old Jul 24th, 2010, 06:55 PM

I don't see any 10:30 AM flights at all from YVR-EWR.
Old Jul 25th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Original Poster

OK, Its a 12.40 flight out of Vancouver YVR. Its operated by Continental for Air Canada. its arrving at Newark at 21.00 and my connecting flight to Dublin is 21.55. There is Customs and Immigration pre clearance in YVR isint there and if i am flying Continental both legs will i have to swicth terminal,dont Continental just use Terminal C at newark?

Any thoughts much appreciated,
Thanks
Old Jul 25th, 2010, 05:45 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
So 55 mins. (not even "exactly one hour")?

Even if you are in the same terminal just going gate to gate, the trick is still IF the incoming flight lands and deplanes on time, with no delays.
Old Jul 25th, 2010, 05:54 PM

CO uses all 3 terminals at EWR, but both your arriving and departing ones will be from Terminal C. So, just walk over to new gate. 55 minutes is okay, assuming your flight departs YVR relatively on-time. Should be fine.
Old Jul 26th, 2010, 08:12 AM

55 MINUTES IS NOT ENOUGH TIME!!!!!!!!

You will be traveling into probably the busiest airspace in the US. The New York area is prone to air traffic and weather delays. The summer months can be particularly challenging with the daily possibility of thunderstorms. If your flight from YVR originates from EWR it may have a departure delay from EWR and now your 55 minutes is no longer 55 minutes.

Anyone who thinks less than 2 hour is reasonable for an international connection out of New York area is asking for an unpleasant airline experience.

You have time to change your ticket and I would strongly suggest you do so. For more sensible travel tips:

www.dmbflyingcoach.blogspot.com
Old Jul 26th, 2010, 08:24 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Once again, if everything is perfectly alighec u may make it. If not, you'll miss your connection. I would really try to find another flight that gets u to EWR earlier or a later flight to Dublin. IS there another flight to Dublin that evening in case u miss the one you're scheduled for? I'd look into that so u know what alternatives u have if u miss your connection. All that said, its possible u could make it--I've made very short connections, running thru airports.
Old Jul 26th, 2010, 08:29 AM

1. The plane for CO343 YVR-EWR comes from IAH in the morning, not from EWR.

2. If there's widespread delay at EWR due to weather, the flight out to DUB is also likely to be delayed.

Yes, 55 minutes is tight, but it is not impossible. The OP can decide if it's worth the risk. Since that's the last flight to DUB that day, missing it will mean not getting there for at least a day.
Old Jul 26th, 2010, 08:40 AM

Looking at the flight data for CO343 YVR-EWR from June 10 to yesterday on flightaware.com, it has touched down by 9:00p at EWR at all days except:

6/17 9:01p
7/2 11:15p
7/5 9:05p
7/22 9:26p
7/23 9:18p

So, in 1.5 months, you may have missed the connection once or twice. This summer has been pretty good in terms of delays at NYC airports, compared to recent history.
Old Jul 26th, 2010, 09:29 AM

based on the schedule above..it's very possible the 7/22 and 7/23 would have precluded making the flight. Since you have to be on board 20 min before takeoff....add to that the 7/2 11:15 arrival and oyu have 50% or less chance of making your flight.
Old Jul 26th, 2010, 09:36 AM

mztery - 50% what? Please read what I wrote again. From 6/10 to yesterday. 30+ flights. So 3 times it was missed. 10%. The OP can decide whether that's too risky.
Old Jul 26th, 2010, 09:43 AM

This is rapidly becoming a candidate for Silliest Thread of the Month.
Old Jul 26th, 2010, 09:48 AM

rizzuto - I am enjoying it!
Old Jul 26th, 2010, 02:08 PM

I am enjoying it too

These are the same passengers that I see at the airport saying "I will never fly this @#$* airline again".

When months in advance they have the opportunity to allow themselves a chance to have a better experience.

Most airlines require you to be on board 30 minutes prior for international departures. Now 25 minutes. Changing Terminals, TSA Screening 15 minutes.

Missing your flight and a chance to enjoy a fresh poured Guinness .... Priceless!
Old Jul 26th, 2010, 03:52 PM

No one can predict the exact scenario on the day of your travel. If all is on schedule you would be OK but with a slim connecting time you have little tolerance for delay. Having no checked bags makes it a better bet that you and your belongings will arrive together as scheduled. If it is critical that you be in Dublin on that date, rebooking to an earlier flight would be prudent but may involve a fee. You could call now to see about changing. If arriving DUB a day later would be tolerable, stick with what you have. If you are on a single itinerary (sounds like you are) and the incoming flight is delayed CO would rebook you for the next available flight and put you in a hotel for the night if they cannot find a way to blame the misconnect on weather or an ATC delay (which they are very good at doing.)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -