Help -- Stranded in Barbados by JetBlue

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2010, 05:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I submitted the following complaint to JetBlue a week ago and have received no response. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get their attention - Thanks in advance.

On 1/9/10, my significant other and I were denied boarding flight 872 from Barbados to JFK. The JB agents in BB indicated that our flights had been changed by JB to 1/10. When I told them that this was never communicated to us, the agent “Natasia” rudely said “There’s nothing I can do, call customer service”, and walked away to service another customer. After an hour of trying to get the BB agents to help us, and no help, I called the JB customer service line and spoke to a supervisor named Celeste, asking for her help to get us on the plane for which we had a printed confirmation. After researching this issue, Celeste confirmed that indeed, we had not been notified and that the situation was the fault of JB. Celeste spent at least two hours trying to contact the BB Ops Mgr, to help resolve the situation, but to no avail. After 3.5 hours of standing in front of the desk in BB JB desk, we were finally notified that they would not be able to honor the confirmed flight, but would put us up in a hotel for the evening. Because of this event, we were forced to incur significant int’l phone charges, as well as $600 in fees to reschedule a business flight that my significant other had scheduled for 1/10, which he missed due to JB denying us boarding on our confirmed flight. I would like for someone to please contact me to discuss compensation for charges incurred, and one would hope, something for the horrible experience. Note, in addition, two friends of ours that we were traveling with, were also denied boarding. They have submitted their own concern. I look forward to a timely response from JB on this matter.

Christopher C.
Old Jan 19th, 2010, 05:40 PM

"Stranded in Barbados by JetBlue"

You call delayed for one day "stranded?"

We were "forced to incur significant international phone charges."

Your SO ought to know better than to schedule the 2nd trip that depended on getting back to JFK/BOS or wherever JB was to fly you. What were you going to do if there was a heavy snow storm on 1/9, which has been known to happen. Poor planning on your part I do say.

With such drama it sounds like a story from a group of 16 yr old girls, not someone who claims to be a business professional.

You'd be better off sticking to the facts and not adding your woe is me dramatic flair. It comes across as very childish.
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 12:49 AM

I am curious about this situation - I have never heard of an airline "bumping" passengers prior to date of flight - changing date from 1/9 to 1/10 and denied boarding at the gate - assuming flight was actually flying on that day and there was no major weather or mechanical issue. Of course, I have not heard of everything.

Did they offer any explanation as to why 4 people were denied boarding. What could possibly have gotten so messed up as to create this situation?
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 01:00 AM

One other thought - just checked on Flightaware website and on 1/9 that flight left Barbados over 2 hours late - was something going on that day at the airport, with weather at departure or destination?

Not offering excuses or passing judgement at this point - just that the entire situation seems so weird that it makes me curious.
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 04:40 AM

I think the first reply here is unnecissarily harsh. Of course you should be able to plan something for the day after your return from vacation. Life goes on. We can't always build a day's buffer time into our returns from travel. Wouldn't it be nice to always have that luxury? Granted, sometimes things happen that delay us and we have to deal with the situation, but it's unfair to berate the OP for "not knowing better than to schedule a second trip."

Ccouzens, I wish I had an answer. The situation sounds strange. Unfortunately, I don't see Jet Blue reimbursing your SO for the charges of the second flight. All airlines take the position that they get you to your destination (even late) and what happens after your arrival is none of their responsibility. That's the frustrating part here. You are entitled to an explanation from Jet Blue of why such a thing happened.
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 09:47 AM
LT

Agree with Jeff. Robbie is being harsh. I think you are due the phone charge reimbursement but am not sure you can expect the other flight reimbursement.

And, you should allow anywhere from 2-6 weeks for a reply. But, I'd have mailed a letter (NOT e-mail) directly to the CEO. Go to Hoovers.com to get his info.

Seems as though they really dropped the ball on this one . . .
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 11:50 AM

All Robbie was trying to say is that given that it is winter, the chances of delays are much higher so it is risky to book a flight the following day. He could have been less harsh in saying that. Speaking as someone who has been stranded, its a bad situation for everyone.

1/9 was in the height of the cold spell in the US with scattered snow showers that likely caused a backup in flights.
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 02:05 PM

If you think you have a case, contact Attorney General. You can also call a TV station, check Better Business Bureau website - these are the usual complaints' venues.

Is there an address on JetBlue website to send a certified letter?

"I submitted the following complaint to JetBlue" - I hope not an e-mail, as this will not do any good.
Old Jan 25th, 2010, 04:55 AM

OK, just to add to this blog, we happen to be the two friends they were traveling with. First our connecting flight from JFK to Barbados our seats were double assigned and we were asked to give them up for two other passengers had the same seat assignments, which we did not for it was a full flight and we did have printed tickets with the same seat number and were already in them. Then, barbados, no luggage, three days. The JB customer service gave us the JFK lost baggage number and said that was the only way to track them down. Jet blue should try to call the number, it is useless, pre recorded message, never got a returned phone call. Barbados airport, forget it, no one will ever pick up the phone. When it did arrive they wanted us to pay for the taxi to bring it to the hotel. Trip back, confirmation in hand, they just handed it back to us and told us we were flying next day, attendant said she did not care what our confirmations said, we authorized the change, two different itineraries, four tickets and we were never contacted on date change. They kept telling us they were not responsible and to come back next day and they would see if they could get us on the flight. JB was just trying to get rid of us, really, really surprised. Never expected it from JB, after 3 hours on the customer service line, we finally were on the way to a not so nice hotel for the evening, things do happen, but JB really just tried to deny it and hope we just went away. As I said, really disappointed in JB and the lack of no response.
Old Jan 31st, 2010, 07:08 PM

I'm a bit late, but just to add:

JReyNY, the attendant in saying she wasn't responsible was likely just trying to save you some time: airlines are complex businesses, different people have different roles, and flight attendants likely would not have been the ones to have rescheduled your flight to the following day, that would have been someone else. I know it is annoying and frustrating, but it is what it is. In such situations, it is best to concentrate on the matter at hand - getting seats assigned to you for the next available flight, etc. etc. - and wait until later to get explanations, etc. etc.

I second the comments of Jeff and LT - it's still early in the process to expect a reply yet. Best of luck.
Old Feb 1st, 2010, 01:14 AM

Taking the story at face value, it sounds as if these four should be awarded involuntary denied boarding compensation. That might help make up for the loss of $600 for the other flight.

Travel insurance can also help with these sorts of circumstances (if it`s the right policy).
Old Feb 1st, 2010, 08:30 AM

Travel & Leisure Magazine has a omsbudsman feature each month that helps travelers with issues like this; maybe worth a letter to them. Pick up a current copy for the info on how to contact him
Old Feb 1st, 2010, 08:36 AM

Here's another person that might be able to help:

Christopher Elliott is the ombudsman for National Geographic Traveler magazine. You can read more travel tips on his blog, elliott.org or e-mail him at [email protected].
Old Feb 1st, 2010, 10:38 AM

If you submitted the above in the form it's on here... no wonder you got nowhere.

1. Take out the reference to the friends. That is not the problem here, let them fight thier own battle.

2. Quit using cute abbreviations.... BB? That's not an airport code so don't make the reader go back and "guess". Spell out the wordd.

3. Paragraphs, people zone out reading these emails.

4. What's "significant", put in the dollar amount.

5. Don't be greedy. You aren't getting what you ask for and asking for "extra" isn't going to help. Read the contract of carriage on Jet Blue's website and find out what they give for Involuntary bumps and ask for that, that's what you are entitled to receive.

I know this sounds harsh, but a complaint letter is more effecitve if it's clear and reasonable.

Did you try calling when you got the US first and seeing if you could get help or at least get directed to the right person?
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 02:08 PM

All ombudsman columns for these kinds of problems suggest using e-mail and not phone calls or letters, so the OP did the right thing with that. OP -- You aren't going to get extra for emotional distress, so don't even bother to ask for that. Simply make a rational and business-like case for your request. Keep us posted on developments.
Old Feb 3rd, 2010, 06:08 AM

Sue_xx_yy,
Should have been clearer, in Barbados the attendants are the ticketing agents. We kept asking for the supervisor and just kept being told they left for the day and did not know when they would return, no one could help us. It is strange, learned something new about the islands, the check in crew is the landing and boarding crew, and some are also the flight crew. Its just odd when everyone working the counter disappear after check in is complete. JB only has one flight in and the same flight out per day. Thank you for all of the feed back. I really just expected something different on Jet Blue, everyone always comments on how much they enjoy traveling with them. I believe there really is no difference when a problem occurs.