Search

Help - inexperienced flier!

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2007, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help - inexperienced flier!

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the elementary question. I am flying from Sacramento to Chicago (United) then Chicago to Frankfurt (Lufthansa). I really do not want to miss the Chicago-Frankfurt leg, as I'll be joining a tour in Germany. I've heard people say "get to the airport early" to avoid being bumped, but unless I'm missing something, I don't have any control over when I actually get to O'Hare airport, right? It all depends on whether my plane from Sacramento leaves on time. (Assuming my flight from Sac leaves on time, I'll have a 2.5 hour layover at O'Hare) So when people are saying to get to the airport early, do they mean the Sacramento airport? If so, does that mean the United counter in Sac will give me both sets of boarding passes (including the Lufthansa flight) there?

So confused! Thanks.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 03:49 PM

They mean arrive early to check in. When you check in in Sacremento, your bag will be checked through to your final destination and you will be given boarding passes for both legs of your flight.

Once you've checked in and boarded the flight in Sacremento, the staff in Chicago know you have to show up eventually. ;-)

Your Lufthansa flight will leave from Terminal 1 at O'Hare, the same terminal where you arrive.

If you're flying back via the same route, there will be a slight difference. Because you are required to go through immigration and customs where you first land, you will arrive at O'Hare Terminal 5, the International Terminal. You will have your passport checked and turn in your customs declaration then retrieve your luggage and exit the processing area. Immediately outside, United (and all the airlines) have counters where you recheck your bags to your final destination.

After you drop off your bag, head upstairs to take the tram to Terminal 1 for your connecting flight. You'll need to go through security screening again.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 03:51 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Yes, you ought to get both boarding passes at SMF, and you shouldn't need to worry about bags or security at O'Hare. You should have plenty of time at ORD.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 04:15 PM
Original Poster

Wow - thank you so much for the helpful (and fast!) information. Very much appreciated! I feel better now.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 05:53 PM

Sacramento can sometimes be a real mess in the morning, long lines to check in and long lines for security. If you can, you should check in online. You can do this 24 hours ahead of your first flight. If you do check in at the airport, please allow yourself at least 2 hours to do so. Even if it goes quickly, at least you won't be stressed. Also, if your flight is on time to Chicago, 2.5 hours is more than enough time to make your next flight. You could be 1 to 1-1/2 hours late and still easily make your next flight. Have a great trip.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 04:15 AM

Once again, they didn't tell you the important stuff!!!

Lufthansa gives free alcohol on their flights (even in coach) so when they ask you if you would like wine with your meal, don't get out your $5.00. It is free. Your not on AA, Dorothy!
Old May 23rd, 2007, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

LOL Wally - that IS important information, thanks!

Thanks to all of you for the airport, terminal, and timing information. I never would have figured all that out on my own! This message board is wonderful.

Old May 28th, 2007, 09:35 AM

You should be able to check in online for both the United and Lufthansa flights at united.com
Old May 29th, 2007, 04:05 AM

Citylights posted: "Once you've checked in and boarded the flight in Sacremento, the staff in Chicago know you have to show up eventually".

Since your flight from SMF-ORD will arrive at T1 in ORD, and your ORD-FRA flight will leave from T1, you should have no problems at all. Just bear in mind that despite the fact that UA will KNOW you are on the way does NOT mean that if you experience a mechanical issue out of SMF - that the FRA flight will be held for you.

I have personally experienced a fully loaded 744 leaving HKG for SIN, while another inbound 744 was pulling up to the gate with connecting pax. We went without them. .

You should be fine. Best, Dave