Search

Heathrow Connetion

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2007, 08:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heathrow Connetion

I have read many posts on this forum and I am still confused as to what we will need to do at Heathrow. We will be arriving on Virgin Atlantic, Terminal 3 at 6:30 AM next Sunday morning. We will have no checked luggage (we have shipped it ahead). We need to connect to a BA flight out of Terminal 1 leaving at 8:30 AM and going to Prague. Can we make this connection? When we get off our Virgin flight will we need to go through immigration and customs? Our travel agent booked us on separate tickets, not one ticket. Since we have no checked luggage, I am assuming if we have to go through immigration, we would go through the passport line, walk through baggage claim to customs, and then go through customs. We would then have to go get a bus to Terminal 1 or walk to Terminal 1. Which is faster? Once we enter Terminal 1, we would have to go through Security and then proceed to a BA counter. Is that correst? Where is the counter? I think I can print my Boarding Pass ahead of time, but there was a notice on the Heathrow sight saying any flights coming in from the US and connecting with a BA flight required checking in with a BA agent even if you have your boarding pass. Is that right? Ir sounds to me like we're in for a nightmare of a time at Heathrow. If we miss our flight, since we are booked on two separate tickets, what are the chances we'll be able to get on the only other flight to Prague at 3:30 PM that afternoon? Any advice or suggestions, other than firing my travel agent for having booked this flight in the first place?
Old Aug 4th, 2007, 11:35 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
With no checked luggage you will follow the signs to "flight connections," go through a security check (remember ONE carry-on per person, not "one plus a personal item" like the rest of planet Earth) and go to T1 for your connecting flight. The Flight Connections security line can be long, but probably not as long as passport checks, then BA security at T1 if you choose to do that instead (below.)

Two hours ought to be okay, but since you're on separate tickets (your TA should know better where LHR is concerned) you're not "protected" if you miss your BA flight, so don't dally AT ALL.

No immigration/customs, unless you want to circumvent the flight connections security and go "landside" to make the walk from T3 to T1 on your own. Don't think I'd bother with that, but it probably wouldn't make much difference in terms of time - maybe even faster, depending on lines at the T1 BA counters.
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 04:18 AM
J62

I believe you can also check-in for the BA flight on line up to 24hrs in advance, meaning you can do that from home before departing for London.

That will offer you some extra protection for your seat as all you'll need to do is show up at the gate before the doors close.
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 05:08 AM
Original Poster

Gardyloo,
So as long as we follow the signs to the FCC and stay "airside" by taking the bus to T1, we'll not have to go through any immigration (passport) lines, only security line at FCC and getting into our gate for BA at Terminal 1, is that correct?
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 05:37 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
No passports, just security. Correct.
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much Gardyloo. You would not believe how many different answers I have gotten to this question from BA agents and Virgin agents. One agent said we had to clear immigration and customs at each terminal separately, another said we only had to clear Security once, at Terminal 1 etc. etc. It's no wonder Heathrow is such a mess....the airlines that fly into it or out of it don't know what they're doing, so I guess we passengers are really up a creek. Do you think the bus lines will be long for the transfer between T3 and T1 at 6:30 on Sunday morning, or might we be able to make that run without too much delay? What are the chances the Fast Track Line at the FCC will actually be operating at that hour?
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 04:30 AM

According to the Virgin website, under the heading of "connections" it says that passengers who have connecting flights on separate reservations AND hold separate tickets need to clear immigration and customs and re check in with the onward airline (which could be at a desk within the Flight Connections Centre).

Old Aug 7th, 2007, 06:29 AM

Yes, odin is right. Your second flight is the day after your first flight, so you have to re-check-in.

If you use on-line check-in on BA and print the boarding pass before you depart USA - you might be lucky with the Flight Connections. If not, RUN!!
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 06:58 AM

What BlueSea says about next day is incorrect. You're only transiting LHR for 2 hours, and VS can indeed tag your bags all the way. No need to go through immigration.

It's not like you're staying in London for 26 hours.

The main question is whether the VS agent here is able to tag the bags through or not.
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 07:51 AM

Different airlines and the poster is not taking any checked-in luggage.
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 08:00 AM

Okay. Then just do online check-in or at Flight Connections, as you've also suggested. I just don't see why the OP needs to go through immigration and check-in at landside. Despite what VS says.
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 08:08 AM

The Virgin website message is not specific to LHR, just in general terms some airports do not allow passengers to transit themselves.

At Flight Connections LHR, there is no customs or immigration, security will check passport and boarding pass.
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

Okay, maybe this can help me....I can see this is a very confusing topic still!!! Even the airlines seem to be unable to tell me consistently what to do!! When we get off the plane in Terminal 3, will we see TWO signs, one for" Customs and Immigration" and one for the FCC Center, or just one sign!!! If we see 2 signs at the same place , I'd head for the FCC sign and go that way. If they are at DIFFERENT PLACES which one do I follow? If I see 2 signs together, will I be okay to go to the FCC or will they send me back at some point to clear "Customs and Immigration"?
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 01:35 PM

We went through LHR on the way to and on the way back from Turkey. We returned threee days ago. We were also on separate tickets to LHR and for our onward BA flight to and from Istanbul. We had no problems of any kind at LHR, either on the way there or on our return. We landed at Terminal 3, collected our luggage, went through customs and immigration and followed the signs and tunnel to Terminal 1 for our onward flight. It is seven minute walk (with rolling luggage) We had checked in online for the BA flight so only had to go to the bag drop to tag our luggage and exchange our printed boarding passes for BA official ones. We did go through security again but the line-ups were not significant and moved very quickly. We did the reverse on our return, again without any difficulty. We had a four hour layover each time and made our connection within 60-90 minutes of our arrival at LHR.
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 02:12 PM

Libcott,
You will see 2 signs, so just follow the one for Flight Connections downstairs to the shuttle. After you exit the shuttle, you'll go through security. The transfer desk is right after security.
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 02:43 PM

<<< We landed at Terminal 3, collected our luggage, went through customs and immigration >>>

You go through immigration then collect your luggage then through customs
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 06:23 AM

You should be able to connect air-side (ie follow Flight Connection, use the bus, without going through immigration/customs) if you have ONLY hand luggage. (Remember ABSOLUTE 1 piece rule departing from UK). Otherwise, you'll need to go via immigration/customs, collect the bags and re-check in. Try to check in on-line for the BA leg, then you can use Fast Bag Drop.