Harrisburg to Newark Question

Mar 1st, 2004, 02:26 AM
Original Poster

Harrisburg to Newark Question

I have to drive some elderly relatives from Harrisburg to Newark to catch a trans-atlantic flight. What's the best route? How much time should I allow? Thanks.
Mar 1st, 2004, 11:36 AM

Sorry I can't provide an answer, except to resommend that you try www.mapblast.com or www.mapquest.com.

You might get a better response by posting your question on the U.S. forum rather than the airlines forum. Good luck!
Mar 1st, 2004, 11:57 AM

I-81/78 is the shorter route and is free. About 155 miles. Traffic on I-78 close to New York can be heavy in the morning, but trans-Atlantic flights usually leave in the afternoon. There should be clear sigsn on I-78 for Newark Airport.

Alternatively you can take the PA Turnpike, and connect to the NJTP. About 180 miles. You have to pay toll ($5.00 on PATP, and ~$3.50 on NJTP). [You need to pay toll over Delaware River one-way whatever route you take.]

I'd allow lots of time either way, as that's a pretty long drive, and there could be unexpected traffic problems along the way.
Mar 2nd, 2004, 12:24 PM

The last time I took 78 I missed my flight by just a few minutes, so I vote for the slightly longer but usually better turnpike route.
Mar 2nd, 2004, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

They are on an AlItalia flight leaving 6:45PM this Saturday. The airline wants them there 3 hours prior. Best guess when we should leave for Newark? Is it hard to find a place to park? I don't want to just leave them on the curb. (She's 79. He's 85.) Thanks again.
Mar 2nd, 2004, 02:31 PM

Leave at noon. Knowing how badly marked (and maintained) PA roads are, you want to give yourself plenty of wiggle room.

Remember that you WILL NOT be able to accompany them past security. Given their ages, you may want to see if you can get assistance for them (the SkyCaps can arrange it). The three-hour window is quite prudent, given how busy Newark is.
Mar 2nd, 2004, 05:09 PM

You really don't need 3 hours prior for check in, unless the terror alert level raises to orange again. And I'm sure the check-in desk and other travellers can accommodate your relatives and let them jump the line, if there's a long one.

I also think 3 hours should be enough for the drive with a brief restroom stop, unless you drive particularly slow. So, leaving at noon or 12:30 should be very very generous.
Mar 2nd, 2004, 06:50 PM

Weekends can be busy at EWR, though Saturdays are usually not as busy as Sunday. Alitalia flies out of terminal B if it is an Alitalia operated flight, not a code share. If it is a Continental operated code share flight it will be terminal C. Check before you leave home.
Given their ages, it won't hurt to have a little extra cushion of time. Barring nasty weather, you should make the trip in 2 hours or so. Parking at EWR can be an issue - info at www.panynj.gov/aviation/egrpfram.htm - and you should figure in 20-30 minutes from the time you actually enter the airport property until you get to the ticket counter.
Mar 3rd, 2004, 02:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the information. You folks are great.