Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Got bumped, received airline vouchers, need help?

Jan 2nd, 2005, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

This is a first my myself and hubby. We were bumped last night on Delta, from Atlanta to Philly. Received overnight accomodations, dinner and breakfast, and airline vouchers for $400.00 pp. Can anyone tell us whats the best way to use the tickets??? THe guy at the ticket counter was talking so fast, and we were really tired, so we did hear him say we had one year to use them, and we could fly anywhere Delta flys..

Thanks
Jan 2nd, 2005, 03:44 PM

Obviously, you should call Delta Airlines and ask them. Every airline's voucher policy is different. With American Airlines, I used to have to go all the way to the airport (once the Portland city ticket office closed down) to do anything with a voucher - very frustrating. But that was a few years ago. Most likely, you will have to make your reservations over the phone.

I had the opportunity to get bumped a few days after Christmas on Continential from Newark to Portland, but they offered only $300 and the flight they offered left at 6:45AM and had a connection in Detroit. I've been bumped before, and I won't do it for $300 overnight anymore, unless I want to be bumped (like the time I had friends in Kansas City anyway so I WANTED to be bumped by Southwest!). For $500 and a later, direct flight I probably would have done it.

Andrew
Jan 4th, 2005, 10:11 AM
Jen

I just used a Delta voucher this weekend-- it is good for one year, and you will have to go to a ticket agent to make your reservations-- for me, that meant the airport. They need you to surrender the voucher at the point of purchase. Kind of a pain, but worth it for a free flight!

You can call to find a flight you want, have the reservation agent put it on hold, and then purchase it at the airport within the next 24 hours.
Jan 4th, 2005, 05:56 PM

It sounds to me like you received $$$-value vouchers, rather than the "free ticket" variety. If that is correct, then that's really a great situation because you essentially have something that you can use instead of money toward your tickets. (The "free ticket" type vouchers can be more of a hassle because they can include capacity controls, etc.).

Plan your trip and call Delta's toll-free reservations number to find out how to put the vouchers into the equation in the most convenient possible way. (Price out your itinerary on the website so I know exactly what the cost is going to be.)
Jan 5th, 2005, 05:01 PM

Sorry about the mixed message above; it was a long day. What I was TRYING to say is "Price out your itinerary on the website so YOU know exactly what the cost is going to be." (What business is it of mine?!)