Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Gatwick - How much time do I need to allow?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2008, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never flown out of Gatwick & I'm not sure if 3 hours is enough time - 3 hours from time get into hotel shuttle (less than 15 minutes hotel to airport). Or should I allow 3 hours at the airport - or more?

Thursday, Nov. 6, 2008, BA, Terminal N, flight departs 7:50am, to VCE, Club Europe.

Is there a dedicated checkin line for Club Europe & fast track line thru security? Or is that only for 1st class? Or is the security line not that bad?

I checked all over the BA website & I can't find any suggested time allowance. Figure the 800# will just give me a script answer. Figure you guys know better anyway!

Thanks, Julie
Old Sep 16th, 2008, 02:22 PM

Julie,

Three hours should be more than enough time.

There are some ways to avoid delays.
1. Print out your boarding pass at your hotel. This can be done from 7:50 a.m. on 5 November at a terminal in the hotel. If the hotel does not have a terminal available, ask the concierge to do it for you. If you cannot get a boarding pass before you go to the airport, there are automated check in kiosks between you and the check in lines, on the left as you come from the elevators; you will have to have your passports available to scan.

2. If all else fails, the dedicated Club Europe check in desks are on the far right side of the BA check in area. There are 3 of them.

3. Once you get your boarding passes, go to the far left side of the security area and go to the "Fast Track" entrance. There is a separate screening line and then you will have to through the baggage screening which is similar to that in US. Even without a fast track stamp on your boarding pass, a Club Europe Boarding pass will be sufficient.

4. After you go through screening, and get into the departure "lounge," go to your left. Keep walking past the raffle car and then the book store, (to the right of the escalator) and you will see the entrance to the BA Terraces Lounge on your right. While you can stay on the 3rd floor, we think the better supply of snacks is on the 4th floor and suggest you take the elevator up to that rather than go to the check in desks you will see in front of you. You will be able to check into the lounge with your boarding passes.

5. In July, the LGW-VCE flight left from gate 63. That is about a 10 minute walk (if you don't stop in any shops) from the lounge. It appeared to us that there was no one available to check in anyone on the flight until about a half an hour before departure; thus it is not necessary to leave the lounge too early.

6. On a crowded Saturday morning in July, we arrived in the terminal, with our boarding passes, precisely two hours before our flight. Despite the crowds being greater than I expect you will encounter, we were seated in the Terraces Lounge in 15 minutes.

7. Finally, the aircraft has 2-3 seating. The seats on the left are in 2 seat rows (though they are expandable to 3) and are more private. But, the seats on the right almost always have a spectacular view of Venice just before touchdown.
Old Sep 16th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

Jeff801, you have that airport memorized! Your info is so appreciated. I copied & pasted it to my travel doc. With that info, we'll buzz right thru & more importantly, get the good snacks!

Re: the seats. I selected the ones on the right (as boarding & looking to the rear of the plane), because I was concerned that on the left seats, someone would be added to the middle seat. Is that a possibility or is that middle seat not used & is just extra arm space?

Thanks, Julie

Old Sep 16th, 2008, 05:36 PM

Julie,

The middle seat on the left side is about 1/2 width. It can be widened to full width with the use of a crank handle. I don't ever recall that happening.

My DW claims I have the memory of a spy. Now if I could only learn to pack like one...
Old Sep 17th, 2008, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again, Jeff801. You & I have our own two threads going here!

I am typing up our travel cheat sheets & I was inserting your Gatwick directions & I got to chuckling at your finite memory! So, I read your info to my husband & he was delighted. He said, "Now that is the way to give directions, especially about the important things, like snacks!" DH is always looking for food, so you can bet he will be on the 4th floor!

Thanks for your time & help.

Julie
p.s. if you start packing like a spy, don't forget to pack your spy tools!