Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Monday fun (we need it). Would you pass the 'British Citizenship' test?

Oct 31st, 2005, 04:50 AM
Original Poster

The British Government has just introduced a test on citizenship for all foreign nationals seeking naturalisation. With questions on British culture and history, perhaps it could also be handy for visitors. (e.g. you spill a pint over someone in the pub. What do you do?)

The BBC has together a not so serious test based on the revision book that applications are given. How would you do?

I got 8 out of 14, which probably means my citizenship is about to be revoked.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/4099770.stm
Oct 31st, 2005, 05:00 AM

I got 8 also and I'm Irish after dark. Does this mean I get a seat on the district council?
Oct 31st, 2005, 05:11 AM

Thanks for telling us about this, Kate - fantastic ! I particularly like the "we're not making this up"

I got 10 but a lot were lucky guesses, & there were one or two I wouldn't have known were it not for the facts that I live in Scotland & have a Welsh husband. So we all get a seat on the council, so far !
Oct 31st, 2005, 05:27 AM
cmt

Oct 31st, 2005, 05:33 AM
ira

I got 9 right.

I particularly like the correct answer to 14.

Oct 31st, 2005, 05:45 AM

9 too...pathetic questions..only the English could think up something as daft as that.
;-)

Muck
Oct 31st, 2005, 05:45 AM
P_M

I got 8 right. I am quite surprised I did that well because several of the ones I got right were guesses. The pub question was a guess, but I got it right. Thanks, Kate, if I ever decide to change my citizenship, now I know what to expect for the test.

A friend of mine recently became a US citizen. The screening process was tough, but he said the test was ridiculously easy. There were questions like, "How many states are there?" And "What are the colors of the American flag?" His impression was that the main purpose of the test was to make sure that you speak English.
Oct 31st, 2005, 05:50 AM

Budman, apparently I'm stuck
in Heathrow arrivals.

Do you think you can use your
influence to spring me???
Oct 31st, 2005, 05:54 AM

Hmm, 9 out of 14. But of course, it's a measure of how well one can guess what's in the guide, and what some sarky so-and-so in the BBC has decided is significant in the guide (you should try the similar tests on the BBC website on language and historical knowledge for pointlessness).

Of course, we're only just starting out on the idea, having managed quite successfully for a good few years on the principle that if people do us the courtesy of wanting to become citizens and aren't obviously up to no good, they might as well be allowed to be - on the understanding that they aren't thereby gaining any protection from their obligations to the country they're already a citizen of.

Out of curiosity, I wonder how many natives of other countries would do well on their citizenship tests?
Oct 31st, 2005, 06:01 AM

whew, I made it to the district council but just barely (with 6). Seeing as I've only visited the UK three times that's kind of scary.
Oct 31st, 2005, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

I like the fact that you get to be Queen if you get 15 questions right. Now just have to find what they've done with that 15th question....

Ira "I particularly like the correct answer to 14". That one threw me - thought it sounded like more of a US citizenship question.
Oct 31st, 2005, 06:33 AM

I squeeked onto the District Council. Do I get to live in a Council house?
Oct 31st, 2005, 06:41 AM

11, But they were rubbish questions, and I guessed several answers. What relevance is film ratings to citizenship.

The missing question was "Are you married to Prince Phillip, live in Buckingham palace, and like corgies?"
a)Yes
b) No
Oct 31st, 2005, 06:52 AM
AKSYDAISY

willit,
Doesn't being married to Prince Phillip ensure that one is not "stuck at Heathrow airport"?
I got 10 and have never been to the UK!

Oct 31st, 2005, 07:06 AM

12 right (including guesses) - must have been the Guinness at lunchtime. Fortunately there were no altercations at the pub, but it would have been handy to know there was an alternative number to 999 - when did that happen?
Oct 31st, 2005, 07:09 AM

They just introducd this (not this test but a test)? We've had this in the US forever. How can you possibly become a citizen of a country when you don;t understand the premises on which the government is based and the rules you'll have to follow (form of government, history, rights and responsibilities)? How could you be swearing loyalty if you don;t know what it's to?
Oct 31st, 2005, 07:19 AM

5 -- My Irish Ancestors can now stop rolling in their graves over the idea that I was considering British citizenship. Whew. No offense intended.
-- This IS a cup of Irish Breakfast tea.
Oct 31st, 2005, 07:23 AM

In Britain you swear loyalty to the Queen.

What a worthless bunch of questions. I scored 9, but I hope there are a few more questions about British history.
Oct 31st, 2005, 07:23 AM

We were assimilating foreigners as citizens when America was genociding its indigenous population and keeping its black population in chains.

When we want the advice of Americans (who still seem incapable of putting a non-white into their Senate) on assimilation, we'll ask for it.

But I doubt such a need will arise for another thousand years or so.
Oct 31st, 2005, 07:31 AM

Hmmmph. 9/14 and you don’t get any more British than me. I actively like rain and find cricket nail-bitingly exciting.

I don’t think those questions catch the essence of Britishness at all. A more accurate survey would feature questions along the lines of:

Q: You are asked by an English friend how you are doing. Do you respond as follows:

A) “Fantastically well since I came to your wonderful country. Both my children have managed to get university places and I have just bought a Jaguar car.”

B) “Really not well at all. I thought the pavements of London were paved with gold – but all I can find are crappy minimum wage jobs in grotty hotels!”

c) “Mustn’t grumble”

You’d soon see who had got to grips with the idea of Britishness.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO