Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Frequet flyer, enough miles for one but not two

Jun 19th, 2006, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

I have enough miles to upgrade one seat to business class but not two. The airline states I can purchase the upgrade 24 hours prior to take off. Would I have a better chance of seats being available if I upgraded one now and hoped to purchased the other later?
LisaS
Jun 19th, 2006, 12:27 PM

Which airline and route? When are you flying?
Jun 19th, 2006, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Traveling on US Air to Punta Cana. I had enough to upgrade us both one way but only enough for one on the return. The Cust Serv Rep stated I could try and purchase upgrades 24 prior to boarding. I was wondering if I should book the one seat now using miles and hope that that would leave another next to it open. But if that plan doesn't work out and only one of us can use business class, one person is going to be pretty peeved!! What would you sugest?
LisaS
Jun 19th, 2006, 12:52 PM

Seems like a relationship question more than a frequent flyer question. Presumably if the travel is in a high-demand season you run the risk of having one happy and one middle seat passenger. Draw straw? Coin flip? Or just go with the odds? Hard to say not knowing when/where from etc.

Can you buy enough miles to make up the difference? Most FF plans make that allowance, usually around $.025-$.035 per mile (thus 10,000 mi = $250/$350.) Not cheap as miles go, but probably a lot cheaper than the paid differential.

Or save the miles and buy 3 coach seats for the two of you (aisle and window) so that everybody gets tush and elbow room. Not knee room, mind you.
Jun 19th, 2006, 01:09 PM

I don't specifically about USAir, but maybe they'll allow redeposit of the miles for upgrade. That way, if you can't get the other cash-upgrade, you can cancel the mileage-upgrade.

Few people cancel mileage upgrades, so airlines usually don't have rules prohibiting or disencouraging one to do so.
Jun 19th, 2006, 05:48 PM

As far as the relationship question goes, then isn't the best, most fair, option to wait until T-24hrs and try to get both upgrades at the same time?