Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Which airline has the best rewards program?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 04:14 PM
John

I've read that Continental Airlines has the best rewards program.<BR><BR>If i'm mistaken, please correct me.<BR><BR>Thank you!

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 01:38 AM
gail

While they have lower mileage requirements for some awards, how do you quantify "best". It certainly would not be the best for us because they do not fly where we want to go from where we need to leave - either to earn miles or redeem them.

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 03:37 AM
Flyboy

I like Northwest WorldPerks, which also provides access to Continental's award seats but has the advantage of frequent bonus mile promotions and unlimited domestic first class upgrades to elite members.

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 06:04 AM
Barbara

I like AA because they let you upgrade on any fare. The others require you to buy tickets that cost more than the cheapest to upgrade. AA also has a more room, a lot more room, in coach.

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 08:10 AM
xxx

I second AA. Just make sure to double, quadruple check your reservation when using ff miles as my ticketed res. got "lost" in the system a week before travel and I had to go through h*** to get my seat back.

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 08:20 AM
Patty

It all depends on how you define 'best' - ease of mileage redemption, bonus mile opportunities, upgrade possibilties, etc. Depending on what you're priorities are and where you live, what's best for one person may not be for another.

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 06:55 PM
x

Surely everyone's got a slightly different take on this, but here's why I vote for Continental's OnePass FF program:<BR>1. Lower mileage levels for rewards 2. Frequent promotions and lots of affinity tie-ins to increase miles earned (OnePass credit card, phone service, online flowers, etc.)<BR>3. Tiered Elite status program that provides unlimited upgrades to all levels<BR>4. Excellent customer service<BR>5. Website that lets you redeem rewards online<BR>6. Info about what destinations are most likely to be available in the near future<BR>7. Statements and recent activity available online<BR>8. Partnerships with other airlines (Northwest, KLM, etc.) that serve just about everywhere<BR><BR>Sure, they don't fly everywhere, but who does? One does best in the FF game by just choosing a carrier and sticking with it. I typically will take a connecting flight on CO rather than a slightly shorter direct on another carrier. It pays off for me - get automatically upgraded about 80% of the time, and use miles to upgrade to their fabulous BusinessFirst for longer trips.

Old Jul 6th, 2004, 03:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would like to know if there are new opinions with regard to this topic.
I am interested in the AA Advantage program.
Any thoughts?!
Thank you.
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 04:21 AM

I'm not sure any airline has a good program anymore. Many members say they have left the Continental program because of changes that make it more difficult to get upgrades and tickets for miles. We belong to Continental still, but now get domestic upgrades on well less than half our flights, and some of the overseas upgrade machinations are complex and expensive; tickets for miles appear to only be available 11 months in advance, where they disappear quickly, or at the last minute, where its too late to do any planning. I've stayed with Continental because they fly where we want to go, for the most part, but were I not already tied to them, I would give serious thought to going with American.

http://www.flyertalk.com/ has forums for each airline's program, and I would suggest you monitor the ones you are considering for awhile to see what the members, and ex-members, think.
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 05:13 AM

It depends on where you live, and what kind of fares you fly on, and how much you fly a year. DL and CO's programs are heavily critized because mainly of one thing. 50% EQM/MQM (elite qualifying miles), so many discount fares only get you 50% points towards being an elite. An elite is one who flies at least 25K miles each calendar year.

AA/UA/NW doesn't have this restriction. [NW for its own flights only. If you fly DL/CO and try to earn NW miles, some EQM restriction applies.]
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 11:18 AM

I'm relatively new to the frequent flyer game and two years ago I switched my loyalty from Delta to Northwest (before they became partner airlines). Northwest is great for me because apparently there aren't many other elite level flyers out of Hartford (I'm a Silver), which means I get upgraded nearly every time I fly. The only flights in the last year I didn't get upgraded were two legs between Detroit and Memphis. My airport is small enough that most NW employees recognize me and give me very good customer service, even though I'm no longer in a job that requires me to travel all over the country. Now that I'm not traveling for work and consequently that my travels are all out of my own pocket, I fly NW enough to make the 25,000 mile minimum to maintain a Silver elite status and fly American for other leisure trips. Since I travel to the Caribbean 1-2 times a year, it makes sense for me to use AA for that.

Check out the website www.flyertalk.com for more information that you could possibly process on this subject.
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 06:45 AM

Thank you for the input.
If anyone else has tips please add to the listing.
Thank you again!
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 02:04 PM

Northwest has a very good program for elite level flyers who do a lot of travel in the U.S. and Canada. I've done the great majority of my travel in first class on complimentary upgrades off the cheapest tickets for a number of years. International upgrades are a different matter entirely and I believe that there are other FF programs that are better in that department. Mileage earning opportunities via promotions and bonuses are excellent with Northwest. European-based travelers are placed in the KLM Flying Dutchman program, which is not as good (from what I can tell.) Northwest is expected to join Skyteam in September, I believe.

Continental and Delta have seriously devalued their programs over the past several years and I would avoid them for that reason alone.
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 03:56 AM

My miles are with UA. I am pleased with their program. I like to use my miles for upgrades to business class on long haul flights, and have been nearly 100% successful the last few years. I now stick w/UA and fly enough to be &quot;premier executive&quot; status (50k miles/yr). Of course, that status helps!

I would have to say that your choice will depend upon where you live. Go with the airline that is available at your airport!
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 07:40 AM

You may want to read an update on reward progams written by Consumer Report. I found it very helpful. If you don't get the magizene just stop by your local library. I think it is worth your time.
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 07:04 AM

The thing I like about Northwest is that the miles don't expire. I lost a ton of miles on United because I didn't fly them for a while.

gnr
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 07:20 AM

I would honestly have to say Southwest despite that they are a no frills airline. My husband flies SWA every week from Buffalo to Baltimore and earns one free flight for every six R/T flights. Sometimes his flights are $39 O/W! And he stills earns a free flight no matter the cost of the ticket which we then use on the more expensive routes. Plus, after 34 flights in one year, you earn a free companion pass. I can now fly free with him whenever he flies.

True, SWA's routes can be exhausting, but I am all about free trips!
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 09:22 AM

Southwest FF credits only last for a year. If you don't fly enough in a year, you get nothing.
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 06:47 PM
P_M

The one to avoid it British Airways. It was a good program until last year when they made some ridiculous changes. For one, when you fly coach, you will only get 1/4 point for each mile flown, while thier competitors will give 1 point for each mile flown. Also, if you redeem a FF award and you use a partner airline, you are not allowed to change your schedule, and if your trip is cancelled, you may not re-instate your points. Therefore, it is a gamble to use FF awards unless all of your flight segments are on BA. I am now in the process of using up all of my BA points and switching to AA.
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 04:15 AM

I redeemed 25K mi for a DAL &quot;coupon&quot; valid for 1 year in late December '03 as many of the miles were about to expire at year end.
The coupon clearly states it is valid for a RT from Con US to HI and MX as well as in Con US.
In March, DAL raised the bar to 30K mi and recently to 35K mi to HI and MX and refuse to honor my coupon for same.
The flying public will be better served with DAL in bankruptcy and eventually out of business, imho!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -