Flying during March Break

Nov 12th, 2011, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

Flying during March Break

Hello,

We are flying from Montreal to Cancun with a layover in Philadelphia . We arrive in Philadelphia at 8:27 and leave at 9:40. As this will be during Spring break will this be enough time to to catch our connecting flight? If there are delays for whatever reason and we miss the connection, what are the odds that the 2 of us will get a seat on next few flights that day?

All tickets are with US Airways and I've read they do have some issues with tight schedules. I've also read that Philadelphia is a horrible place to have a connecting flight.

Thanks
A
Nov 12th, 2011, 08:53 AM

You don't say what days you are flying but weekends are often slightly busier in airports than weekdays. That said, flying during Spring Break does not, in and of itself, present any major concerns. For all practical purposes it won't be significantly different than flying any other time so a 1:13 minute connection time will still be a 1:13 connecting time. Unfortunately I don't think that gives you very much cushion and there's a good chance you'll miss your connecting flight.

You are coming from Montreal and stopping in Philadelphia and thus you are arriving on an international flight connecting to another international flight. I may be wrong (since I don't travel through Philadelphia often) but most likely you'll have to clear US immigration and customs BEFORE boarding your flight to Cancun. If that's the case you'll have to go through the TSA security checkpoint. Simply put 1:13 isn't enough time to clear US immigrations, customs and TSA and still make the connection - also, if your flight from Montreal encounters even a small delay you're in big trouble.

No one can give you any guarantees if you miss you connection whether the you'll get 2 seats on the next flight to Cancun. It will all depend on how many people are already booked on one of those next flights and where YOU ARE in the queue.

If I were you I'd book a a longer connection time - at least 2 hours.
Nov 12th, 2011, 12:58 PM

odds are you will make it but always insuremytrip.com

independently just in case... 2 hours better if possible.
Nov 12th, 2011, 02:17 PM

You will preclear US immigration in YUL so you will transit Phl as if a domestic connection. There is no US exit immigration check. 1:13 is tight but doable if you arrive relatively on time, sit toward the front of the plane and go strait to the gate. Terminals B/C to A is a 10-15 minute walk all done airside, so no waiting in security lines. If you land in A, even better.
Nov 13th, 2011, 02:06 PM

I live in Philly and Philly isn't the best airport in the world. The terminals are narrow, and overcrowded with planes so you might not taxi and park at the gate on time, and if you're flying US Airways Express from Montreal to Philly you'll land in Terminal F, which means you'll have to take a shuttle to Terminal B/C where the flight to Cancun will be, and the shuttle takes about 5-10 minutes,so you could be late, but I wouldn't worry if Montreal has a great on-time rate (never been there)
Nov 13th, 2011, 03:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies,

It's actual terminal C to A so that should be ok, no?
Nov 13th, 2011, 04:24 PM

Yea cause thats an easy walk from terminal to terminal
Nov 13th, 2011, 05:33 PM

YUL is a mainline flight. CUN leaves from A west which is a little farther than the older A East. Also keep in mind that US pads its schedules to help its on time percentages. Of my 4 flights last week to/from phl, I was off the plane early on 3, including deplaning 35 minutes before scheduled arrival on a PHL-TPA on Tuesday morning. But I would try to sit in the front of the plane, either by status or a choice seat. Also should you misconnect, the US lounge in A West is lovely.

Search this Thread