Flying after a long break

Old May 22nd, 2021, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flying after a long break

Hello, fellow travelers! Can you help me, what is new with domestic flights? Do they still offer water?

Somebody told me, there are new sizes (smaller) for carry-on, I will check the website after reservations.

Anything else I need to know?
Old May 22nd, 2021, 04:52 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Dayenu View Post
Hello, fellow travelers! Can you help me, what is new with domestic flights? Do they still offer water?

Somebody told me, there are new sizes (smaller) for carry-on, I will check the website after reservations.

Anything else I need to know?

Hi, Every airline is different - some are almost back to 'normal' and some are providing almost no cabin service. Plus the flight's distance makes a difference - some have no service at all under so many miles, modest service for 'mid-length' flights, and more service on transcontinental flights. Plus different things provided based on which class (1st/business/coach/basic economy, whatever). International travel is different still. Basics of a small bottle of water and disinfecting wipes is provided on most (but not all).

I'm not aware of any that have reduced the size of carry-ons allowed . . . EXCEPT where they've changed routes from full sized planes to smaller regional jets.

. . . All of which is to say -- one needs to check for specific flights on specific airlines. IME each airline's website describes what on-board services they provide.
Old May 22nd, 2021, 04:54 PM

. . . oh - and masks required on all flights except when actively eating or drinking.
Old May 22nd, 2021, 05:18 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Janis! I guess, I'll ask specific questions after I know which airline. Will be flying to Buffalo NY.
Old May 23rd, 2021, 08:25 PM

In coach, no magazines, no earphones, blankets or pillows, often no food even if you pay but should be beverage service.

You can bring empty water bottle through TSA.

​Recommend downloading the airline "Ap" to your phone. Many use that for scanning boarding pass.
Some airlines have entertainment on your own device.

Boarding is different now with COVID. After first class and those needing extra time, the back of plane probably gets called first.

Carryon sizes vary by airline but are smaller now.
Cheapest tickets may not include checked or even carry-on bag.

Last edited by mlgb; May 23rd, 2021 at 08:29 PM.
Old May 23rd, 2021, 08:42 PM

"Carryon sizes vary by airline but are smaller now."

Not IME -- but it mostly depends on the actual model airplane. The two flights I've taken since covid had absolutely no difference in allowable carry ons vs pre-covid. Totally airline and airplane specific.

"Boarding is different now with COVID. After first class and those needing extra time, the back of plane probably gets called first."

When the pandemic hit last year, most airlines instituted 'back of the plane boards first' (even before 1st class) but many have modified that in one way or another in the last coupe of months.

Unless you are flying in the next maybe month -- the procedures are almost certainly to change even more.
Old May 23rd, 2021, 08:45 PM

I flew twice domestic last month (SW and Delta) both were as I stated back of plane first.

​​​​​​Carryon sizes have been shrinking as the airlines shifted to shorter hops for domestic flights, and as they try to gain revenue from checked bags. The depth in particular is getting so narrow that many old carryons won't fit in the sizers.

Last edited by mlgb; May 23rd, 2021 at 08:48 PM.
Old May 24th, 2021, 10:19 AM

If by SW you mean WN (Southwest) they don't board back to front since it is open seating.

(Also, about 2 months ago they finally returned to their original boarding procedures - eliminating the groups of 10 they used for about a year after Covid hit.)

Old May 24th, 2021, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by janisj View Post
If by SW you mean WN (Southwest) they don't board back to front since it is open seating.

(Also, about 2 months ago they finally returned to their original boarding procedures - eliminating the groups of 10 they used for about a year after Covid hit.)
Yes I flew Southwest. It was still a more controlled process to eliminate bunching of the lineup. April 8 LGB to Austin.

Delta did back to front by smaller groups of rows.

Last edited by mlgb; May 24th, 2021 at 07:35 PM.
Old Jun 3rd, 2021, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both for replying. I planned to fly to stay with the kids.

Sorry to say my trip is on hold for now as the kids' offer on the house got accepted, but not clear when they can move in. Haven't made reservations yet, but will fly later this year.
Old Jun 15th, 2021, 12:21 PM

Dayenu we are just back yesterday from seeing our kids in Denver; out on Southwest, with a specific seat # (A5, for example) and back on United -- in First due to a credit I had. They offered soft drinks/water to the whole cabin and drinks, a snack (heated wrapped sandwich/foccasia or snack box) and a bottle of water. Masks except when actively taking a bite or a sip.
Old Jun 19th, 2021, 06:49 AM

Apparently Delta didn't get that memo. Still boarding back to front in rows of 2 or 3. Yesterday.

​​​​​​They had beverage service and two snacks in cattle class (Anchorage to LAX). Mileage ticket, got a window seat in the back. Seat back entertainment. The flight ANC to Salt Lake was sold out. Long lines waiting for Starbucks in T2.

Last edited by mlgb; Jun 19th, 2021 at 07:22 AM.
Old Jun 19th, 2021, 07:09 AM

mlgb: Not quite sure what the point is and why I was quoted since my post was re WN and didn't mention Delta
Old Jun 19th, 2021, 07:27 AM

mlgb: Not quite sure what the point is and why I was quoted since my post was re WN and didn't mention Delta
The point is that Delta hasn't modified those back to front small group boarding practices:

"When the pandemic hit last year, most airlines instituted 'back of the plane boards first' (even before 1st class) but many have modified that in one way or another in the last coupe of months." (SIC)

​​​
Old Jun 19th, 2021, 09:44 PM

Uh --- but that isn't the post you quoted. But never mind -- who says posts need to make sense . . . only justified.
Old Jun 20th, 2021, 07:28 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I flew out to Chicago on JetBlue and back on American (damn new codeshare!) last weekend. Everything was as I remember it pre-pandemic, except for masks required and no blankets/earphone/pillows for sale. There was drink and snack service on JetBlue and just non-alcoholic drinks on AA. Boarding was priority groups first (premiere members, military, disabled/kids, priority) then rest of the throng in typical cattle call fashion.
Old Jun 20th, 2021, 12:24 PM

Uh --- but that isn't the post you quoted. But never mind -- who says posts need to make sense . . . only justified.
Get over yourself. I hope you are happier with the other included quote. What a frickiin waste of time this site is.

I was passing along current information which might be helpful to Faina or someone else. Since Delta still hasn't returned to the cattle call.

Last edited by mlgb; Jun 20th, 2021 at 12:27 PM.
Old Jun 24th, 2021, 03:04 PM

**I flew twice domestic last month (SW and Delta) both were as I stated back of plane first.**

Delta boarding is random. Depends on airport/FA's/plane type. I flew most of 2020 (6 flights per month - last flight end of Oct. 2020). I just started flying again. Some flights Delta is first boarding people needing assistance, kids under 2, 1st class, Diamonds/Plats, Comfort + and then switched to back of plane. Other flights, they included Golds before back of plane boarding. Other flights, they call row numbers in sections. I've had 4 flights in the last week and will fly again Sat. Delta is doing service and not just bottled drinks. Some flights they are pouring water and they are handing out snacks - Biscoffs, almonds, Pepperidge Farm Goldfish. Alcohol available for purchase.

AA ignored all covid guidelines during covid (flew them once during pandemic - never again).
Old Jun 24th, 2021, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by kybourbon View Post
**I flew twice domestic last month (SW and Delta) both were as I stated back of plane first.**

Delta boarding is random. Depends on airport/FA's/plane type. I flew most of 2020 (6 flights per month - last flight end of Oct. 2020). I just started flying again. Some flights Delta is first boarding people needing assistance, kids under 2, 1st class, Diamonds/Plats, Comfort + and then switched to back of plane. Other flights, they included Golds before back of plane boarding. Other flights, they call row numbers in sections. I've had 4 flights in the last week and will fly again Sat. Delta is doing service and not just bottled drinks. Some flights they are pouring water and they are handing out snacks - Biscoffs, almonds, Pepperidge Farm Goldfish. Alcohol available for purchase.

AA ignored all covid guidelines during covid (flew them once during pandemic - never again).
We had Biscoffs and Almonds.

I believe you about AA. I was able to use AA miles to fly on Alaska to ANC. Alaska advertised their box snack meals to order ahead on longer flights but I had my own from home.

I appreciate the first hand reports vs those second hand from reading Flyer Talk.

Last edited by mlgb; Jun 24th, 2021 at 05:07 PM.
Old Jun 25th, 2021, 06:29 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
True story on AA last week. I'm thinking the Chicago-Boston route is where flight attendants go to die. We had the oldest, surliest bunch I've ever seen. The one assigned to our section, Cynthia, could not have been less interested in being there if she tried.

For the pre-flight safety talk, she stood at the head of the section holding the card from the seatback pocket and yawning excessively (behind her mask) and fiddling with the mask with her other hand. This, despite the voice-over talking instead about where our exits are and to follow the floor lighting. She continued to stand holding the card while the safety vest discussion started. Someone must have clued her in because she started to put it on, struggling with it until finally she had it on inside out and backwards. She got to pointing at the emergency light on the vest (which was over her back shoulder since the vest was on incorrectly) just in time to match the voice-over telling us that there's a reading light over our heads. Then she ran to the front of the plane and came back with the oxygen mask to drop it down from the overhead bin, while the voiceover was talking about the seatback card, but thankfully we'd already seen her holding it earlier in her demonstration. She still showed us how the masks fell from the bin though. Phew.

On approach to Boston, the pilot came over the PA and thanked a Southwest flight by call sign for their "very helpful info". Then he radioed Boston-Logan by call sign and requested permission to land. Twice. He apparently didn't figure out that the button he was using was not for air traffic control, but our PA.

Cynthia was about 5 minutes late turning our lights off, and just as late turning them back on. But she did manage to walk the cabin SEVEN TIMES trying to sell us the AA credit card. They must get a commission.

And if you've ever landed at Boston you know that you see water for the last 20 seconds before you land. Even after all this time, I swear we're going to do a water landing before we reach runway. But when you see water, you know runway is very close. This is when Cynthia and crew started doing their trash collection! Running up the aisle yelling "seats up, trash this way", while I am looking at water beneath us. I have no idea how they made it to their seats in time to land.

This would all be very funny if it weren't a flight with 200 lives on board. I will never, ever fly AA again. I'm crushed that JetBlue now codeshares with them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information