FLL Navigating Fort Lauderdale airport

Aug 11th, 2015, 08:31 PM
Original Poster

FLL Navigating Fort Lauderdale airport

My husband will be arriving at FLL Terminal 3 (US Air) and has 50 minutes make a connecting flight in Terminal 3. He will have gone through security already. Can he transfer to terminal 3 without having to go through security again? Also - any tips on getting between terminals? I know interval time is really close but the lousy airline changed the time of the connecting flight after we booked both flights (separate airlines) and made it an hour earlier.
Aug 12th, 2015, 07:17 PM

If you are moving between concourses E and F at FLL you have to pass through security (I believe). So it depends on the airline. All USAirways flights are in a single concourse, but there are Jetblue flights on both sides.

FLL is pretty easy to navigate, but it can be maddeningly busy on cruise days and, frankly, isn't built for easy transfers. If he's arriving at a time when there aren't many cruise passengers (and if the arriving flight is on time), he should be ok even if he has to go through security again, but my experience is that security is very slow. But I have never transferred there.
Aug 12th, 2015, 07:18 PM

FYI: Please repost this in the US forum, which is a bit busier than this one and you may get more replies. I wish I could tell you something definitive, but I'm just not certain.
Aug 12th, 2015, 08:03 PM

Huh? This makes no sense.
Aug 13th, 2015, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

He has 50 minutes TO make a connecting flight.

Thank you Doug Stallings, I will do that. He does have Global Entry and TSA precheck and won't be carrying any baggage, so that may make it a bit easier.
Aug 13th, 2015, 11:40 AM

That should be enough to speed him through any security checks. Terminal 3 isn't that big; it's just very annoying that you can't change concourses without going back through security.
Aug 13th, 2015, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

Oops, so sorry, I see I really botched the initial question. I meant to say he is going from Terminal 3 to Terminal 1. I just posted this also in the US forum so if I get any good advice I'll add it here.
Aug 13th, 2015, 01:06 PM

Yes, this makes a big difference. He must go through security again, and it will be a very tight connection.
Aug 13th, 2015, 01:34 PM

There's complementary shuttle service between terminals but it's outside the secure area. It makes no difference that your husband has Global Entry/TSA PreCheck and that he is traveling First Class, he'll still have to reclear Security when he gets to Terminal 1.

I wish your husband good luck - he has a very tight connection.

You said he has Global Entry - does that imply he is arriving on an international flight and has to clear immigration & customs before going to Terminal 1? If so that adds another wrinkle into an already tight connection , Global Entry not withstanding!
Aug 15th, 2015, 10:23 PM

I would try to change the second flight. FLL can be very busy with long lines.
Oct 5th, 2015, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Update: It was no problem - his flight was on time and he walked outside from Terminal 1 to 3 and made it with plenty of time to spare.
Nov 29th, 2016, 05:10 PM

Did your husband have to go through security again, when he walked from Terminal 3 to terminal 1?