Flight from Chicago to Sydney

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are busy planning a cruise from Sydney to Auckland but now finding a decent priced flight has become an issue. We live in Peoria, IL and will fly to Chicago and then make connections to get to Sydney, and then fly back from Auckland to Peoria. Has anyone flown to Sydney- is it just a nightmare and very uncomfortable to be flying that long? Any good bargains out there? It seems that United and Qantas are the airlines that primarily fly there- if anyone has suggestions, please let us know. Thank you.
Old Aug 8th, 2009, 02:09 PM

Air New Zealand is another possibility.

ANZ partners with UA so if you go that route you probably end up flying on UA to ORD, LAX and SYD. On your return you will probably fly ANZ to LAX and UA the rest of the way.

QF partners with AA so you will probably fly AA to LAX and QF to SYD. QF has a flight from Auckland to LAX so it will be QF to LAX and the rest will be with AA.

Don't really know what to tell you about the rest of your question. It is a VERY long flight, ~15 hours. In economy it is a tough ride but thousands of people do it and survive.

You should also plan on arriving at least 1 day ahead of your cruise, if for no other reason then just to relax and chill out from the long day. It will be a verrrry long day. Short hop to ORD, connection, ~4 hours to LAX, connection/terminal switch, and the 15 hour flight to SYD. Drink lots of water/juice, eat well, sleep ASAP.

Have a great trip!
Old Aug 8th, 2009, 02:53 PM

V Australia is another inexpensive option: http://www.vaustralia.com.au/

No, it is not a nightmare, but it's a very looong flight. AAFrequentFlyer gave you good advice about what to expect and the real need to have at least one day when you arrive to decompress.

Aside from the cruise, how much time are you spending in Australia?
Old Aug 8th, 2009, 02:58 PM

V Australia is another inexpensive option: http://www.vaustralia.com.au/

No, it is not a nightmare, but it's a very looong flight. AAFrequentFlyer gave you good advice about what to expect and the real need to have at least one day when you arrive to decompress.

Aside from the cruise, how much time are you spending in Australia?
Old Aug 8th, 2009, 03:09 PM

Qantas has great movies with video on demand and they do feed you. Free wine too. And they don't mind if you get up and stretch your legs. But do arrive a day early and ride the ferry to Bondi Beach or something easy, then go to bed early and get over the time change quickly.
Old Aug 8th, 2009, 03:24 PM

What dates are you looking for? There have been many good fares on flights to Australia. Flying between Christmas and New Years will be expensive.
Old Aug 8th, 2009, 03:25 PM

Don't hesitate to check out Air Pacific that flies from LAX to Fiji and then on to Australia and New Zealand. You will get miles with AA on this flight.
Old Aug 9th, 2009, 08:32 AM

Why not stop over in Honolulu for a day or two each way? AA has direct flights from Chicago to HNL, and Hawaiian Airlines flies between HNL and SYD. In fact, Hawaiian currently has HNL to SYD on sale ($200 off) if you use Ecertificate # P09021 when you purchase the ticket.
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 02:55 PM

yeah, flew home from Sydney to LA...15 long, long hours...and after a time, I get feeling really trapped. helps to fly business if you can get it and want to pay the premium...then you can sleep, or at least stretch out a little.
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 03:16 PM

sure it's long but as Australians have to do these flights to go to Europe (even longer) and to US (that's the short flight) we get use to it. I don't break flights -when it's over it's over!!! premium economy is another good option on Qantas.
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 03:43 AM

Hi Wally34949, most airlines actually encourage you to walk around during long flights to avoid DVT.

Meme5 it will be a long flight but it can't be avoided!! Like northie says, we also do Australia - Europe which ends up being 24 hours minimum. Sydney - Athens ended up being about 30 hours - our brains were pretty scrambled by the end of that flight! Last time we hit a head wind and 5 hours after departing Sydney we were still flying over the Australian mainland!!

If you like to read, then pack a book or two. Otherwise you can watch movies (Qantas have those individual screens). A stop over is a good idea if you don't think you can manage such a long flight. I'd be more includes to do that on the way home, so that you arrive home still feeling as though you have been on a holiday. I hope you love our beautiful country and that you have included a few days in Sydney.
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 03:45 AM

Oh, sorry, I meant to type 'more inclined' not 'more included'.
Old Aug 14th, 2009, 12:51 PM

Qantas and American Airlines are a good option.

Another option for the SYD trip is via Chicago (ORD) with United Airlines (UA) and from Vancouver (YVR) with Air Canada (AC) to SYD.

Return from SYD via Auckland (AKL) with Air New Zealand (NZ) and UA via LAX to ORD.

These carriers are part of the same Star Alliance.
Old Aug 19th, 2009, 07:33 PM
Original Poster

We are spending 4 days before the cruise in Sydney and three days after the cruise ends in Auckland- we are so excited to see this beautiful part of the world.
Any must-sees in either city??
Old Aug 19th, 2009, 07:37 PM
Original Poster

We found a good rate for Quantas- $1601 from St. Louis to LA and then catch a flight a few hours later to Sydney- we thought we should provide ourselves with time to walk around at LAX. There are four couples traveling together in Premium Economy seats so hopefully we can walk around, and help pass the time. We flew to London in May which was 8 hours- to visit our son and his wife- and the movies certainly did help, along with our IPODS. It will be such an exciting trip for us- can't wait to see it all. Thank you all for your help and comments.
Old Aug 21st, 2009, 08:46 AM

It's Qantas.
Old Aug 21st, 2009, 04:23 PM

Hello Meme5

I live about 40 miles from you!! Hello fellow down-stater!!

I've flown to Australia 6 times now, leaving from Chicago. It's do-able. Long, yes. I fly UA now, but when I first started going to OZ, I flew on UA and then Qantas, and UA and Air New Zealand another time.

I also now fly regularly (as in 3-4 times per year) to Bangkok. That's another long flight as well.

Best to get up and walk around when you can. And try to get an aisle seat so you are not stuck in the middle of the center section. I would really hate that!!

Carol
Old Sep 6th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your great replies and suggestions- we are now booked on AA from St. Louis to LAX- then we wait five hours or so (that will give us plenty of time to walk around and be on time in case of any flight delays) and fly to Sydney. We will spend four days in Sydney before our cruise- staying at the Intercontinental Sydney. We are looking forward to a Blue Mountain tour and seeing as much as we can of this beautiful city. Our cruise is 12 days and we will end in Auckland where we will stay for three days and then fly home. Can't wait!!
Old Sep 7th, 2009, 07:15 PM

"We are spending 4 days before the cruise in Sydney and three days after the cruise ends in Auckland- we are so excited to see this beautiful part of the world.
Any must-sees in either city??"

In Sydney, take the Opera House tour obviously, the bridge climb if you can, ferry to Manly. The aquarium is very good and if I remember, stays open pretty late. And I remember taking the train to a wildlife park/zoo in the suburbs where they had kangaroos and wallabies hopping around and you could pet a koala. The name escapes me, but it's probably in the fodors guide.
Old Sep 8th, 2009, 06:13 AM

Re: Sydney

I love taking the Manly ferry! What a great way to glide across the beautiful harbor. I prefer the "slow" boat vs the jet cat. I like having lunch beachside, at a table, at Manly.

The bridge climb is awesome!!! Do it, if you can. It only looks scary... and that view is something you will remember for a long time afterward.

Been to Aukland, but can't recall any must-do's right now. Aukland is a lovely city. We only did one night there, and then went driving around the north island for about a week.

Carol

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -