first-time flyer layover ?'s

Dec 6th, 2006, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

first-time flyer layover ?'s

I'm heading from VT to Las Vegas w/ 2 layovers, on the same airline throughout, at Laguardia(sp?)and Chicago-O'Hare. What happens to my luggage? Do I pick it up or does the airline send it through to the next plane? I know I'll have my carry-on and go through security with that but what about my checked stuff? I've never done this before so I have no clue.
Dec 6th, 2006, 06:43 AM

Your checked luggage will go all the way through. Your airline transfers it to the next plane. You won't need to do anything with it until you pick it up on the baggage carousel in Las Vegas.

You and your carry-on should need to go through security only once, when you board the first plane in Vermont. When you change planes in NY and Chicago, you just go to your next gate. Look at the monitors in the boarding area for your destination, flight number and gate. Same process in reverse on the way back.

Have a good time.
Dec 6th, 2006, 07:03 AM

Hi blueangel

Jeff is correct. Your luggage can be checked through to your final destination. Just make sure the baggage tags have correct 3 digit city code as the final destination, which for Las Vegas is LAS (the tags will also have connecting flight info for LaGuardia (LGA) and Chicago (ORD)).

Once you go through security for your first flight, you shouldn't have to do it again. You would only sometimes have do that if you had to change terminals (and sometimes not then), but since you're on the same airline, you shouldn't have to.

Relax and have a fun trip.
Dec 8th, 2006, 07:14 PM

Don't know how long of a layover you have but if it is tight - don't be shocked if some of your luggage does not make it with you. Normally, at least once a year out of 3-4 trips at least one piece does not make it with us. Luckily it is usually on our trip home so it is no big deal.

If going somewhere warm, I carry a bathing suit and shorts on the plane with me - just in case.

Be sure to have your name, etc inside your luggage in case it gets lost. Also, this may sound goofy, but make sure you can describe your luggage. Also, read on one place you should take a picture of your luggage and it carry with you.

My luggage looks like something out of a carnival sideshow - I put neon stickers on it so it can be found (also helps to quickly ID it at the luggage carousel).
Dec 10th, 2006, 07:31 PM

On a positive note, chances are your luggage will arrive with you. In the last 5 years(around 50 flights per year) my luggage has been delayed once.