Expedia - Stay Away at all Costs

Aug 4th, 2014, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

Expedia - Stay Away at all Costs

I have used Expedia now for several years. Recently, I have booked travel with them that involved "ticket aggregation" from more than one airline. If there is even a slight chance that you will need to cancel or make a change to that flight before you use the ticket you are going to essentially pay a lot more money or may loose the full amount. I understand there are change fees that the airlines charge but if you have two airlines on one ticket you must pay the re-ticket/reissue fee (usually $200) AND when you go to use the ticket by booking another trip you MUST also use both airlines. That means you cant do it online and you can only book flights where both airlines fly. One leg has to be with each airline. This is INSANE!

I know the airlines made this rule but I blame Expedia because Expedia DOES NOT TELL YOU this! It seems like somewhat important information if you are spending $500-$1000 on a ticket to know that you may loose the entire value of the ticket if you need to cancel or make a change and cant re-book to a destination that both airlines serve within one year of the original purchase date. I have had other major trouble with them regarding confirmations of hotels that actually were not confirmed and really no help when you are forced to call on the phone.

So to avoid this just stay away from Expedia altogether because it is just not worth the trouble. It is far better to pay an additional $15 or $20 to book with the airline or hotel directly.
Aug 4th, 2014, 11:56 AM

Thanks for the warning. I haven't booked with Expedia in a couple of years though I was tempted to recently because of a complicated itinerary which was a pain to research myself before booking online.
Aug 4th, 2014, 12:23 PM

The fare rules are always posted online, so if you don't like the rules, don't book it. To avoid issues & unexpected surprises when you decide to change or cancel, read the small print. It's always easy to blame someone else when you mess up your own booking. Everyone wants the cheapest fare, cheap fares come with penalties when you want to change or cancel.
Aug 5th, 2014, 08:35 AM

< Everyone wants the cheapest fare, cheap fares come with penalties when you want to change or cancel.>
Yep.

I would add that if your itinerary is complicated or very expensive or both, it might make sense to pay a professional travel agent to sort it out for you and explain the terms of what you're buying. As a percentage of the cost of a $1,000 ticket, it's a service well worth paying for, IMO.
Aug 6th, 2014, 05:49 AM

I'm sure I am not the only traveller that gets complacent making arrangements on my own and fails to read the fine print each and every time. A post like this is a useful reminder to do your due diligence (even if you use a travel agent.) However, re reading this post I realize that the OP has apparently booked flights that were not fully refundable, and now, surprise, surprise , discovers he could be out of pocket due to a change in plans. As noted, that's the risk you take with cheap fares and nothing to do with Expedia.
Aug 7th, 2014, 03:58 PM

It's interesting that the OP registered here just to make this complaint.

Expedia is a wonderful tool for finding hotels and getting estimates of cost on flights etc... but I have always booked direct with the properties because I prefer to deal direct.

I believe Expedia's policies have always been clear, no misrepresentation. The fine print MUST be read whomever you are purchasing travel from, and there is a travel insurance as well.

I don't think fair of the OP to fault/accuse Expedia for doing exactly as they promise.
Aug 7th, 2014, 04:34 PM

Agree with above(Lynn)

It's not expedias fault. There are fare rules and sometimes we find out about them the hard way but these are the rules. Generally the more you pay the more flexibility you have but few think of that when booking. Most are looking at price only.

I doubt if the OP will be back.
Aug 10th, 2014, 07:44 AM

Regardless of whose fault it is, the customer pays. Like the OP, we learned this the hard way years ago and now go directly to the airline to book tickets. Expedia does not tell people this upfront because they would lose a lot of business. The same goes for competing companies. As it is, they lose repeat business but at least they get the customer's business until then.
Aug 10th, 2014, 04:47 PM

I no longer book on Expedia, or the like. I travel with my wife, and buy tickets for two. These services sometimes sell one ticket in one fare class, and the paired ticket in another fare class. They do show you the fare rules, for each, but is is a challenge to find out who gets what, so once my wife earned miles, and I didn't.

It is just so much clearer to buy directly from the airline, particularly if you fly frequently on that airline, and learn how they do things. But Expedia and their competitors are very good for locating flights.
Aug 10th, 2014, 08:19 PM

And no you meant that poster. You said "YOU are stupid." It could not have meant anyone else.
Aug 13th, 2014, 11:41 AM

Just because I was curious I "dummy booked" a ticket on Expedia on two airlines. In this case AA and United. When you get to the payment screen you find
"•Please read the complete penalty rules for changes and cancellations applicable to this fare."

When you click on that you see a set of terms and conditions for AA and a set of terms and conditons for United. It's pretty clear on that screen that it's "two" tickets with "two" sets of change fees/rules etc...
Aug 15th, 2014, 09:33 AM

to: socallscott, there is no additional charge if you book online. since retiring from the industry I do all bookings online, that makes the airline and hotel or other providers totally responsible, just remember to print all info/disclainers. hope this helps all.