Search

EWR Layover

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2010, 03:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EWR Layover

We have a 5 hour layover in EWR coming back from St. Croix on Continental. I'm looking for suggestions how 5 adults might pass the time there. It will be dinner time - any sit down restaurants in the airport we might waste a few hours in? Does Continental sell day passes to the Presidents Club? Maybe we go hang out there? Thanks for any help.
Old Jul 8th, 2010, 04:41 AM

Yes, Continental sells day passes to the President's Club. Go to their website for more info and rates (I think it's $50 PP).

There are numerous restaurants in the airport, noe of them are great - typical "airport food" and/or bars - nothing memorable or that you would write home about.

You can, if you wish, go over to the Liberty Airport Marriott (it's a short 5 minute walk across the short-term parking lot from the terminal and they also have a hotel shuttle you can take - runs every 30 minutes if memory serves me correctly). They have two restaurants (a steak house and the "regular" hotel restaurant). We've eaten at the "regular" restaurant several times - the food is better than anything at the airport.
Old Jul 8th, 2010, 07:37 AM

The nicest sit down restaurant is Gallagher's Steak House, but many think it's overpriced and food is just so-so. Cheaper alternative is the Garden State Diner.

Cheaper way to get into Presidents Club is to buy the Chase coupons on eBay. Going rate is about $40/set of 2. It's only good for one entry for one person.
Old Jul 10th, 2010, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips. I don't know that leaving the airport is practical considering carry ons and Security. The Chase coupons interest me. I've never used EBay but I did go to the site and see several coupons offered so I may pursue that. I'm curious where these coupons come from and that they are transferable. That said, if I could get a day pass for around $20 per person, I think that would be worth it for a place to hang out that is most likely more comfortable than the terminal. If a few drinks are included, all the better.
Old Jul 10th, 2010, 06:28 AM

Those who have the Chase CO credit cards get a set of two passes each year. That's where they come from. You can safely use those for the Presidents Club. They do not ask for the credit card, and there's no name on the passes. I have the card, so I have used my own, and I have also bought from others, and given mine to others to use. It is safe. Keep in mind these are one-entry passes. You cannot say, move from one PC to another, even on the same day. But if you need to go out and grab a bite, it's usually not an issue as long as you tell the agents at the front desk you're coming back in a few minutes.

The EWR Terminal C clubs are pretty nice, especially the one between Gates 102 and 120. They have showers there, and basic alcoholic drinks are free. They also have premium wines and drinks for a fee.
Old Jul 10th, 2010, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

Sounds good. Thanks very much for the info!
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 09:20 AM

Depends on where you are in Terminal C, if your gate 70-99, the PC day pass would be worthwhile (unless you are starving for a full meal). I disagree with rkkwan and find the other PC to be too loud, busy, full of families, and generally a nightmare. I'd just stick to Gallagher's as a place to plant yourselves for the duration of your layover if you are in that wing. There are stores around it if any of you fancy getting up for a walk while waiting and you can sit for a meal.
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 09:59 AM

One can wander the whole Terminal C inside security. I agree that the PC above Gate 74 is quieter, but I like the plane watching at the newer Gate 120 one, as well as the showers there. No shower at the Gate 74 one.
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 11:00 AM

I know we all have preferences, and that one can wander the whole terminal. I just don't bother to go way out of my way, and I prefer to stick near my gate due to boarding delays - I can stay put until necessary and not rush finishing a drink only to find the plane is not even at the gate.

Are the showers that much of a necessity? In this case the OP is coming from St. Croix...