Layover in Newark airport, please help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2004, 03:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going to Costa Rica next August but I have a 4 hour layover in Newark airport. Can I go out of the airport during the layover or is there any place where I can smoke a cigarette while waiting for the other plane? I know what some of you will think but I'm a smoker and my 2 flights to go to Costa Rica will take alll day.Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 04:13 AM

The website for Newark Airport is http://www.newarkairport.com. According to the website "smoking is prohibited in all public areas inside the passenger terminals at Newark International Airport with the exception of specifically designated areas within the liquor bars, where smoking is permitted." You can see the location of bars on the website.

If you want to go outside, the only place I belive you can do this is to go to the front of the arrival or depature areas (they are on different levels) and go out the sliding doors onto the sidewalk there. I have seen people smoking there.

A helpful webseite for almost every aripirt in the world is worldairportguide.com

If you have to come back through secrity to get to your gate, leave lots of time as things can get backed up.
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 05:42 AM

There are places outside the terminal where you can smoke. (Smoking outside is still legal on this side of the Husdon!) However, in order to get outside the terminal, you'll need to exit security and go through screaning every time you wanted to reenter.

If you are on Continental, I do not believe that there are any restaurants or coffee shops in Terminal C, before you enter the secure area.

There are a few places to sit inside before security, should you want to do that.
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 06:37 AM

If you have a Diners Club Card, you can use the airport lounge free of charge ( I think it is NW's lounge, but not sure).
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for your replies.

Cicerone, I am now going to take a look at the airport website.Many thanks , it surely is very helpful.

Yes Ryan, I will be flying in Continental Airlines from Lisbon and then after the 4 hour layover I will leave to San Jose. Do you think I can have a cigarette somwhere in between?
Old Jan 16th, 2004, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

topping
Old Jan 16th, 2004, 05:40 AM

Last time I traveled through Newark was about a year and a half ago with a friend who smokes. There were certain bars within the airport that allowed smoking. I don't know if your layover time is at an early hour, but if not, you shouldn't have a problem smoking indoors (unless they have changed their rules recently).
Old Jan 16th, 2004, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

Mazey, thank you very much for your input. No, my layover is in the afternoon. What a reliefMany thanks again.