El Al - When can you reserve a seat?

Sep 3rd, 2019, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

El Al - When can you reserve a seat?

I can't find how to reserve a seat on a JFK to Tel Aviv flight. During the reservation process there is nowhere that I can find any information on the available seats or how to reserve a seat in economy. Can anyone help? I haven't purchased the ticket yet. Do you have to buy a ticket first in order to reserve? I'd like to know if there are two seats together available for me and my husband.
Sep 3rd, 2019, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Dianedancer View Post
I can't find how to reserve a seat on a JFK to Tel Aviv flight. During the reservation process there is nowhere that I can find any information on the available seats or how to reserve a seat in economy. Can anyone help? I haven't purchased the ticket yet. Do you have to buy a ticket first in order to reserve? I'd like to know if there are two seats together available for me and my husband.
I would wager you canít see open or available seats without first paying. If you call to get your tickets you could find out then.
Sep 4th, 2019, 12:34 AM

You can add after the reservation is made through My Trips. Some low fares might not allow pre assigned seats even at a cost.

Or you can take above posters advice and call them to make a booking, it will cost you $20 handling fee.
Sep 4th, 2019, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

I really wouldn't book a flight unless I knew which seats were available. For example- What if only the center seats were free? There's no way I would spend 12 hours flying like that. Guess I'll have to call.
Sep 4th, 2019, 08:38 AM

YOu don't have to buy a ticket to see seats. You just have to go through the booking process until after you put your name and birthdate in, then you can pick a seat. But this is BEFORE you have given any payment info.

IN fact, that's the way it is on lots of airlines, I do it all the time, go through a booking to see what seats are available. I put in fake names and birthdates and fake email address and phone numbers, just to make sure nothing is going to get charged to me. It's a nuisance, it would be nice if they showed you the seat selection BEFORE asking your name and birthdate, but lots of airlines don't.
Sep 4th, 2019, 09:29 AM

Why the fake name and birth date? If you go half way through the booking process and see no decent seats available you just back out -- sort of like when you put something in an on-line shopping cart and then don't pull the trigger to buy it.

What seats are available / free or for extra $ depends on various things like fare bucket, ff status, etc.
Sep 4th, 2019, 11:25 PM

I guess the OP did not proceed far enough in the booking process to notice the option to reserve seats before the payment page.
Sep 6th, 2019, 03:17 AM
Original Poster

I went all the way through it to the payment page, a number of times. However, when I tried it again yesterday, it brought up the seats. Strange. Perhaps there was a glitch on their site the other day.
Sep 6th, 2019, 04:44 AM

It can depend on your brower and whether you have pop up/ad blockers. That could account for the difference. One time I saw it as an option during the booking process as Manage My Something(can't remember if it was Options/Prefs or ?? ) and the seat map was hidden in there.