Economy restrictions International

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2024, 06:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I worked I flew Dulles to/from Brussels several times a month. That was 20 years ago. Surfing the flights these days the economy restrictions on changing flights etc seem onerous. What if the shuttle to Charlotte breaks down or gets tied up in demonstrations and we miss the connecting flight to Dulles? Or we miss the transatlantic leg because of delays? Or am I just overthinking it? What is real world experience with this? We will book with 4 hours layover at Dulles to minimize...I've always been paranoid about being early.

I know insurance will be suggested. The only expense will be the flights at about $1200 since we'll be using rail in Europe. The insurance would probably be that much plus I'm 82 and probably all I can get is flight protection.

Thanks! Steve
Old Jan 30th, 2024, 08:16 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
No sure i quite understand the "Economy restrictions' part. The issues you mention can happen to anyone, not just those flying in coach/economy.

If everything is booked on the same ticket and you miss the connection, the airline will put you on the next available flight first on their own metal, but if that's not possible on one of their partners, and in some cases even on competitors.

As for missing the first flight due to traffic or something . . . Not all, but quite a few, airlines have a 'flat tire rule' where they will try to get you on a later flight when you have a legitimate delay.

As for insurance -- do check you credit cards. Many if not most include some sort of insurance when you charge the flights.

Relax and enjoy your trip
Old Jan 30th, 2024, 08:18 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Being near your age & also having done extensive overseas travel, I can only suggest the obvious.

1. Always book connecting flights as a single itinerary / on 1 ticket so if one flight is delayed you’ll be protected for any missed flights due to delays.

2. Stay the night before any flights near the airport so you never find yourself unable to get to the airport on time.

One more personal habit, I dislike & almost never book an early morning flight. It’s easier on me, not an early riser.

Make yourself some easy to follow personal rules to make your travels as simple as possible, then don’t worry.

Old Jan 30th, 2024, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to both of you. I'm over thinking it and will move on. I will build in extra time for the connection at Dulles and people watch.
Old Jan 31st, 2024, 03:26 AM
mjs

If your connection at Dulles is on another ticket I would get insurance. Read up on insurance though or talk to the folks at insure my trip. Also check your credit cards. Your only expenses are not necessarily just airfare but anything booked that is not fully refundable. Generally most insurances have a 6 hour window or more so if you have two tickets and you miss a 4 hour connection the insurance may not cover you. Also need to check your medical insurance to check if you have coverage as Medicare does not cover international travel although your secondary insurances might.