economy plus seating on United Flights

Jul 14th, 2014, 05:01 AM
Original Poster

economy plus seating on United Flights

We are on a 13 hour flight from Dulles to Beijing and I'm wondering if the extra money for the Economy Plus is really worth it. We are traveling on a Boeing 777-200. If so, any suggestions for which rows/seats are best?

On the way back we are scheduled on a Boeing 747-200 from Shanghai to OHare. Again, wondering if the extra money is worth it? If so, any suggestions for which rows/seats are best?

Two years ago we upgraded on the way back to Istanbul on Delta and the seats were WORSE than economy!
Thanks for your help!
Jul 14th, 2014, 09:29 AM

I personally would wait until five days before the flight and check how many seats are available in economy plus. Back in May, my girlfriend paid the extra for economy plus and she had three seats to herself. Economy was packed full. I flew to Zurich back in November and had three seats to myself. But if economy plus is nearly full, I wouldn't pay the extra.
Jul 14th, 2014, 10:14 AM

I think it's always worth it for a few more inches of legroom.
Jul 14th, 2014, 11:44 AM

On those long flights I think it is definitely worth it to buy the E+ seats.
Jul 14th, 2014, 01:03 PM

Oh, yes. It's worth what you pay for them--more legroom and less likely to sit next to babies or small children.
Jul 14th, 2014, 07:14 PM

Absolutely worth it.
Jul 14th, 2014, 07:23 PM

I happen to be relatively short and do not care about leg room. I care about recline though. I was in Eplus seats the other day and did not find them any more comfortable. I couldn't see any reason to pay any more for them. But if I could get 3 seats, that I would love. Re wally, he said his girlfriend got 3 seats alone and economy was packed. My worry there would be that they were overbooked in econ and they would give move-ups to those overbooked....and that changes the picture entirely!
Jul 14th, 2014, 08:11 PM

MY DH and I are both tall and we think the economy plus seats are well worth the money. I can't imagine going overseas in a regular economy seat. I think I would go nuts.
Jul 15th, 2014, 05:08 AM

We got E+ seats on IAD-EZE flights (UA) last year and were not happy because the seats were pretty grotty cloth and thus kinda nasty and couldn't be fixed with a few swipes of an alcohol wipe. Will be sticking to DL from now on.
Jul 15th, 2014, 06:03 AM

Nearly every flight I've taken in the past couple of years has been what I would call a full flight. The chances of snagging 3 seats across are extremely rare IME. I'd pay for the extra leg room, especially on such a long haul flight.
Jul 15th, 2014, 12:47 PM

I would not hesitate to get the upgraded seats....and save some money elsewhere, instead ;
street food ?��

United has not been flying IAD non- stop to EZE for a couple of years; the long-haul flight to BsAs is the connection in Newark or Houston.
Jul 20th, 2014, 08:56 AM

We flew United, from Chicago to Paris (7 hours), recently and booked economy plus seats. The few extra inches of leg room was worth every penny. I highly recommend it.
Aug 10th, 2014, 07:28 PM

Economy Plus is the way to go. You get more legroom and I like sitting closer to the front of the plane. If you aren't concerned about sitting near the bathrooms look at seatguru.com to find the exit row seats and book those. We always fly economy plus and it has always been pretty full on our overseas flights.

Search this Thread