Drive to Toronto, Fly back

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2019, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

At the end of April I'm proposing to drive Boston-Toronto and fly back a few days later. This may be assuming the obvious, but I shouldn't have an immigration issue doing this, should I? I would imagine this happens frequently?

Also, my choices are either Porter or Air Canada; any feedback? Price and schedule are pretty much the same. Porter is certainly convenient, about a 15 minute walk from my hotel with less of a check-in time window and a more manageable airport so less lead time needed before my flight. But I've heard mixed reviews on their reliability and on-time performance. I'll be flying home at noon on a Sunday if it matters.

Any thoughts appreciated!
Old Mar 15th, 2019, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Standard response to this sort of proposal is to check the fee for dropping off a rental car across a border. It can be substantial.

Porter flies comfortable aircraft but their fleet is propeller-driven, not jet. I had a Porter flight cancelled at the last minute in November. I also had an Air Canada flight cancelled two months earlier when the plane was full and ready to take off. Uncertainty is a sad characteristic in airline travel.
Old Mar 16th, 2019, 04:57 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the reply. No rental car involved so that’s not a concern. I’m more thinking about crossing the border one way and returning another, if that’s problematic.

I routinely fly small prop bush planes in Africa so not worried about the planes, more the reliability as Porter seems less reliable than others. Guess it’s a matter of balancing convenience with the better chance of being on time!
Old Mar 16th, 2019, 09:55 AM

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts
I don't think you will have any problem immigration-wise. You may want to read the attached document. Bringing an American car into Canada and leaving it here (if it is an American car) might lead to some questions:

https://settlement.org/ontario/immig...gings-with-me/

I would take the Porter flight for the reason you mention. I take them all the time. Yes there can be issues but your odds are good.

Last edited by xcountry; Mar 16th, 2019 at 10:07 AM.
Old Mar 16th, 2019, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

The car is not a problem, trust me. To put all minds at ease, the person I’m driving up with is staying with it and driving home later. Not a problem, no worries, no concern with the car.

Thanks for the feedback on Porter.
Old Mar 17th, 2019, 04:41 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
No problem at all if the owner of the car stays longer than you in Canada.. If you are not in a real hurry to get back to Boston you could take the Amtrak Maple Leaf as far as Albany and then take the Lake Shore Limited to Boston. Or you could take the Maple Leaf all the way to Penn Station (NYP) and then take one of the many Northeast Corridor trains to Boston.
Old Mar 19th, 2019, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There will probably be no problem at the border. I doubt you will be asked how you are returning to the US, just how long you will be staying.
Porter airline out of the island airport is a better option than heading to Pearson airport for Air Canada for the reasons you listed.
have fun in TO.
Old Mar 22nd, 2019, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all. I did book with Porter to fly back to Boston. I'll report back on how the flight is!