Don't Fly and Why

Nov 24th, 2001, 08:26 PM
Steve

Don't Fly and Why

I truly think I will never fly anymore. Here are some miscellaneous thoughts about this...

1. Seeing armed guards all over the place. Waiting in lines. Getting pushed around. Treated like a criminal. Is this prison? No, this is a relaxing vacation.

2. Foreign countries enjoy ripping off tourists. Understand this, we make up alot of your economy. Why don't you treat us better?

3. Airline employees are frustrated people that try to push around the customers whenever they can. I really think that many of them are on a power trip. Isn't it great, I'm a $10.00 / hour worker and I can order around a multi-millionaire.

4. Flight 587 crashed because of wake turbulence. If you believe that, there is a great bridge in Brooklyn that I can sell you. Isn't it great that the airline spin doctors come up with an excuse that does not blame lousy security (bomb) or lousy mechanics (bolt not tightened). They really don't want to admit terrorism or poor mechanics unless they have to.

5. I don't know why some plane routes still fly. For instance, NY to DC. Given all of the security and airport traffic a drive or train ride is quicker, cheaper, and more comfortable.

6. It would be nice if USA people would fly less. They can see plenty of attractions inside the USA and keep their dollars here. When I hear that foreign economies are hurting because of lack of USA tourists I truly feel that I don't care. Chances are they don't care about us.

7. It would be really nice to see less travel. Americans can pay off their credit cards with the money they saved by not taking such expensive vacations. It amazes me when I see people in the hole $40,000 to the credit cards take another resort vacation. How can you relax with that debt? Smile when you finally pay more than the minimum on your cards. Don't take a vacation for three years and you can do something that I did...pay cash for a new car.

Sorry for this tirade but I feel that it is time for Americans to get back to basics. You don't need to go around the world to feel relaxed. You don't need to do that to see interesting things. Save your money and pay off your bills.

Nov 24th, 2001, 09:12 PM
xxx

Steve: You sound like a sanctimonious little man! Woohoo! Big deal you paid cash for your car! Dosen't impress me a bit. Please. please..don't fly anymore. You really won't be missed! And as far as airport/airline employees pushing around multi-millionaires? I really don't think that they are flying scheduled air. .probably fly in their corporate planes!

Nov 25th, 2001, 02:54 AM
bea

Can someone inform me how to ask Fodors to remove the above post?
Steve please get a help. You show symptoms of clinical depression. Get help before you do something drastic.

Nov 25th, 2001, 12:03 PM
xx

You sure "Steve" isn't code for Taliban?
I have seen and heard some paranoid people in my time but come on. This would be laughable if not for the seriousness of our current climate. I agree get rid of this post.

Nov 26th, 2001, 11:03 AM
Athena

Steve,

PLEASE TAKE YOUR PROZAC.....We don't need or want to hear anymore doom and gloom mentality. Believe me the news media does a good enough job...As for the safety of flying? Well, FLYING IS STILL SAFER THAN DRIVING BY TEN-FOLD. If you give the a/l personel attitude, they will give it right back, once in a while you will come across a rude and obnoxious ticket/gate agent, simply report them to their supervisor. As for the lastest crash of the AA airbus...I really haven't heard anything yet to suggest just what went wrong...but who would you blame if the brakes suddenly went out on your car, or high winds caused you to lose control of your car and make it crash...who do you lay blame on then??? Having traveled here in the US and abroad, it does not bother me to see the armed guards at the airport. I fully believe our military should be 100% responsible for airline security. Why would we as the traveling public want our safety in the hands of a private organization that is looking at bottom $$$$$$$$, instead of our safety. Our military men/women are highly trained, highly motivated, and trained to FOLLOW ORDERS....win win situtation if you ask me. AS for foreign countries ripping off American tourist.....GET A GRIP....more US citizens are ripped off by their fellow country men than we as tourist are in a foreign country.... AS for Americans staying home....why don't you just nail the coffin shut for 100,000 or more people dependent upon traveler's for their income...well educated and experienced people like my own mother. People like you make me want to run to the bathroom, and flush the toilet.

Nov 27th, 2001, 09:07 AM
Kay

Steve,

As someone who lives in the UK, I would be more than happy for you to keep yourself and your bigoted, insular and xenophobic opinions on the other side of the Atlantic.

But to the rest of you, you will be MORE than welcome and I hope that you have a truly enjoyable, fun, relaxing and inspirational trip. Come on, let's not give in to these idiots.

Nov 27th, 2001, 09:35 AM
ZZZ

STEVE IS ROUGH BUT RIGHT

1. The relaxed feeling achieved from a vacation lasts, I heard, for only one day. Now that feeling will be lost at the airport on the way home.

2. When times were good we flew all over the world. Ripping off tourists is a sport in most of the world. This causes people to get bad feelings about a place, causing them and others to never go there again. Ultimately ripoffs accomplish less than fair prices and repeat business.

3. Airline employees are usually deceptive when faced with a situation where the truth isn't that great (delays etc...). I'll take the truth.

4. Airlines have lobbyists. They got billions of our tax dollars to stay in business when the market said that some shouldn't. It would not surprise me if they hire "public relations" people just like every other corporation.

5. The point is simple and speaks for itself.

6. He is right. eeping money near home will really help a battered USA economy. If other countries suffer, sorry. We really should look out for our own.

7. This is a very interesting point. I would feel better by having no debt than by having a vacation. Debt in the USA really screws up the economy especially it delays a recovery. It causes numerous failed marriages, suicides, and stress. To think that half of the USA is two paychecks away from homelessness is pretty sad.

Nov 27th, 2001, 09:50 AM
ZZZ

Another point that I forgot to write in the previous post...

I remember when a Tower Air plane crashed while in Kennedy Airport. It was a minor mishap with almost nobody injured that occurred about four years ago. Within an hour of the crash Tower employees went to the plane to paint over the "Tower" logo. Was this for safety or spin?

I truly believe that corporations do not tell the truth when money is involved. They also bend the rules when money is involved too.

Nov 27th, 2001, 11:50 AM
Steve

I see that my fellow Fodorites are awake...

To the second XXX and Kay... Where did you learn those big words???

Athena writes...
We don't need or want to hear anymore doom and gloom mentality. Believe me the news media does a good enough job...As for the safety of flying? Well, FLYING IS STILL SAFER THAN DRIVING BY TEN-FOLD

I say that you cannot bury your head in the sand about terrorism. Your assumptions are based on the past but as of 9/11 its a new world. Actually since 9/11 air travel killed double the people than car travel.

To ZZZ...
The US needs people like you. We really should pump up our own economy and tell the ripoff foreign countries to take a hike. Maybe we will have a bone to throw them if we get very rich. I can just picture the annoying beach vendors in Jamaica broke. I also hope that the ripoff moped renter in Tahiti is also broke. I laugh when the $6.00 beer vendor at JFK has no customers. I laugh when the cruise ship hustlers (waitors, photographers, etc...) have no more marks to hit. I totally laugh when snooty French waitresses are broke. So you see... stop subsidizing the rest of the world with your money. Keep it here. Those countries will have to go back to making real products, not hustling travelers...

Nov 27th, 2001, 12:13 PM
ZZZ

Thanks Steve...

I'm surprised that you did not add cab drivers to your targets...

In any city abroad they are the greatest idots, ripoff artists, and criminals.

There is a great example of taxi drivers all over. See the TV show 'The Amazing Race' CBS Wednesdays at 8:00 PM. This program shows couples racing around the world. The taxi drivers that they hire are morons. Those in India do not have an idea where the Taj Mahal is. Those in Thailand tried to rip a couple off. Keep on going...

9/11 brought a new Usa traveller...the soldier.

Nov 27th, 2001, 03:15 PM
Karen

Oh God! Your both blooming idiots! Steve and ZZZ that is!

Nov 27th, 2001, 04:19 PM
Jane

Steve and ZZZ.. stop those racist and narrow minded comments... Hoe can you proof Americans won't rip off tourists? Also, we see fatal car accidents everyday but NOT plane crashes. The point of travel is not only to relax, but also to experience and see other cultures and places that our world has to offer. Let us all ignore the two idiots.

Nov 27th, 2001, 05:30 PM
xxx

Hey ZZZ? You want us to listen to what you have to say and then you go and say that you watch a so called "reality" show every week?!?! Get a life sport!

Nov 28th, 2001, 02:27 AM
xxxxxxyyyyy

Steve=ZZZ

Please Fodors remove this post

Nov 28th, 2001, 07:05 AM
Steve

Karen writes...

Message: Oh God! Your both blooming idiots! Steve and ZZZ that is!

Karen your use of the work "your" is incorrect. It should be you're, which is a contraction of "you are".

So Karen...YOU'RE a blooming idiot that cannot even use English properly. You did not make a spelling mistake. You made a usage mistake that shows that you don't read or YOU'RE uneducated.

Nov 28th, 2001, 11:49 AM
Penny

Steve,

The truth of the matter is AL Queda killed more people in one morning than any airplane crashes ever......Cars are ten times more a deadly form of transportation than flying....flying truely has more than likely never been safer than it is now....Athena is right.....GO TAKE YOUR PROZAC AND SHARE IT WITH ZZZ

Nov 28th, 2001, 11:52 AM
Penny

Steve and ZZZ,

You both are in desperate need of Prozac judging from your post's here...Athena is right when she says flying is by far safer than driving...it was not the airlines or the airplanes that killed the 1000's in September....it was AL Queda and Usam Bin Laden.....get a grip...and if your that terrified, go stick YOUR head in the sand, or hide in the chicken house...

Nov 28th, 2001, 01:16 PM
Steve

Penny - You Are Really Nuts....

Airplanes kill people. People don't kill people.

Nov 28th, 2001, 01:59 PM
Julia

Steve - you are nuts. What are you talking about? People don't kill people? What happens if someone shot you with a gun? You die!!

Airplane doesn't crash by itself. People build airplanes. And it's the one who controls the plane that causes a crash.

Nov 29th, 2001, 07:40 AM
Jer

Sorry, people, Steve makes excellent points -- not the whole picture, of course.

I'm with you, Steve -- not necessarily going to stay home from now on, but you speak truth.

And by the way, that tired, tired old bit of statistical distortion about being safer in a plane than a car has GOT to go. Unless you are willing to run control studies re: number of accidents and number of fatalities per person per hour per %-age of population, etc. etc. it's meaningless. Planes, which carry clusters of people, operate in 3 dimensions and rarely have walk-away-from accidents. Cars, which usually carry only 1 or 2 people, operate in densely packed bands confined in 2 dimensions and statistics include everything from fender-benders to bridge-abutment fatalities. It's not even apples and oranges -- it's sewing machines and road-graders.

So you AOPA and IATA apologists just buzz off with that nonsense.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO