Search

Delta? United?

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2006, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Delta? United?

I'm traveling to Hawaii with my impatient boyfriend. He's not a big traveler at all- but has expressed desire to see my favorite vacation spot. I fly United quite a bit- but I decided to shop around for prices and introduce the comfort factor into my decision. I want to fly first class because I notice the difference and I want my boyfriend to be completely comfortable and relaxed.

We are going to Maui and I thought that traveling from IAD to OGG with a connection in ORD would be great. But, Delta has a flight to HNL that connects in ATL for quite a bit less than United. I even looked at airfare on Hawaiian from HNL to OGG and it would STILL be cheaper to fly this route on Delta/Hawaiian than it would to fly United.

On top of the price, Delta has been boasting their "Business Elite" cabin and I have heard some less than stellar reviews about the trip from ORD to OGG.

I have taken the flight from ORD to HNL, but that was about 8 years ago - so I assumed the aircrafts & amenities have changed.

Can anyone offer their advice or personal experience? I have only flown Delta once from Baltimore to Atlanta, in coach, when I was about 15.

I've looked at seatguru, looked at the airline's webpages... I'm just looking for unbiased, honest reviews.

Thanks!
Old May 19th, 2006, 11:24 AM

When are you going?

Delta doesn't currently use an aircraft equipped with Business Elite seats on the ATL-HNL flight. It's the ATL-OGG flight that's a 763 with BE seats.

ATL-HNL is a 764 with domestic first seating. The pitch is tight. 7E/F are the only seats in this configuration with extra legroom but I believe these are reserve for crew rest on flights longer than 7(?) hours in duration.

Have you priced the ATL-OGG flight? This flight doesn't operate daily so you may need to tweak your dates.

I have no idea what equipment UA uses for ORD-OGG.
Old May 19th, 2006, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

When I priced the flights- Delta claimed to be flying a 767-400ER aircraft from Atlanta to Honolulu

United is flying a two-class 777 from Chicago to Maui.

I did price Atlanta to Maui and it was about 1800 compared to United's 1650.

Old May 19th, 2006, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

Sorry Patty, I forgot to answer your first question: I am planning to travel March 2007
Old May 19th, 2006, 11:43 AM

Spend the extra and fly DL's 763 with BE. Huge huge difference between that and the domestic FC on DL's 764 or UA's 772.
Old May 19th, 2006, 12:08 PM

Well if this is for March 2007, that changes things. First of all, I don't see a nonstop ATL-OGG 763 anymore, only a 1 stop 764. In that case, there would be no difference in seating vs the ATL-HNL flight so I definitely wouldn't spend the extra money.

So I guess the question is whether DL or UA's domestic first product is better, which schedule is more convenient, and how much cost difference there is between the two.

While there are 8 764's in the process of being converted to BE seats, that ATL-HNL flight is being sold as First rather than Business in March 2007, so I'd expect a domestically configured aircraft and not one of the converted ones.
Old May 19th, 2006, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

Wow! This is all very helpful. I did check, and you are correct- Delta does not have a direct flight to Maui from Atlanta, they stop in Salt Lake City. However, the planes available were 764's.

Do you know when they plan to have the Business Elite conversion complete?
Old May 19th, 2006, 12:25 PM

I haven't been following the conversion process so don't know the schedule, but they're only converting 8 aircraft to be used for specifically their new transatlantic routes. While there may be a possibility that DL decides to put a BE 764 on the ATL-HNL route, I wouldn't bet on it.
Old May 19th, 2006, 12:31 PM

Well, AA, CO both still have international business class seats to Hawaii - mostly to HNL, though.

Northwest also still fly their DC-10 with World Business Class seats MSP-HNL.
Old May 19th, 2006, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

I thought about American Airlines - which has a good deal as well. If DL doesn't offer the business elite on the HNL or OGG flight- then I doubt I'll do that.

From what I saw, American Airlines flew a 763 from Dallas to HNL. Is this the International First Class that you were referring to, rkkwan?
Old May 19th, 2006, 12:42 PM

All AA's 763 are two class - coach and international business. On Hawaii flights, they call them first class, but you get the international business seats with 62" pitch. Not the 38" domestic FC on DL or UA.

[CO flies a 757-200 with 16 international business seats LAX-OGG. I want to recommend them, but from IAD, to LAX, you'll be on regular domestic FC and make a connection. Not very convenient.]
Old May 19th, 2006, 12:49 PM
Original Poster

Wow, you have been very helpful! Do you have experience in the travel industry or are you just a seasoned traveler?

You have been very helpful. I think I might go with American Airlines to HNL- they are partners with Hawaiian so they might check my bags all the way to through to Maui. If not, I'll just claim and then recheck... I've done it before...

What do you think?
Old May 19th, 2006, 12:54 PM

I don't know about Patty, but I'm just a casual traveler with a keen interest in planes and airlines - particularly CO as I live in Houston.

Patty knows a lot more about DL, Skymiles and their partners than I do.
Old May 19th, 2006, 01:11 PM

Assuming comfort is your priority, definitely go for the AA 763 over DL 764.
Old May 19th, 2006, 02:52 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Another big vote for AA.

One thing to note - and there are absolutely no guarantees - is that AA is rolling out a new business class seat (&quot;flat bed&quot; style to compete with the international carriers) and the talk is they may retrofit at least some of the 767s first. Given you're traveling next year, you <i>might</i> get lucky and get a plane with the new seats. AA's Hawaii FC service is pretty good to begin with, and the new seats would be a big bonus.
Old May 19th, 2006, 03:35 PM
Original Poster

All good points. I looked into CO, but first class on CO is out of our budget. I like American, I'm going to pursue that further and fly from DFW-HNL and catch a Hawaiian Air flight from HNL to OGG.

I love to travel and I've always been particularly interested in the airplanes as well.
Old May 19th, 2006, 03:46 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
<i> I like American, I'm going to pursue that further... I love to travel and I've always been particularly interested in the airplanes as well.</i>

In which case go to the AA forum on flyertalk.com and read up on the &quot;platinum challenge.&quot;
Old May 19th, 2006, 04:25 PM
tmh

As you know, anything can and will happen in the next 9 months. I live in DFW and all my AA employed neighbors will tell you that.

Will they still be able to afford the retrofit? Will they still have those flights? This is the company who quietly rid us of MRTC and is removing the back galley to add more seats. I'm not complaining as it has long been pointed out we want low fares but still have issues with the lack of amenities. Just a word of caution as you plan a trip 10 months from now based on aircraft and flights.

I know I'm spoiled but why fly IAD-DFW-HNL-OGG? The fewer the cxns the better in my book even if it means a few more dollars. Besides, I'd hate to give up points on a flight that long.
Old May 19th, 2006, 04:47 PM

Even if the plane isn't retrofitted, it is still a comfortable international business class seat. Just not the flat bed style.

So, nothing to be cautious about. If you get the new seat, then it's just a bonus.
Old May 19th, 2006, 05:08 PM

The decision to retrofit AA 767s and 777s with the new business seats has already been made. The manufacturer picked and the contract signed, so unless there is a total business collapse we will start to see the new seats soon.

AA's plan is to do just 1 plane and run it on different routes to get feedback from the most important testers - the passengers. This way, they could make adjustments before the seat factory kicks in to high gear. Many AA elites have been invited to Dallas to test the seats and give AA feedback, but AA wants to make sure that before it starts installing the seats on all the planes, which is a very expensive proposition, but necessary in today's aviation business environment, all the kinks and possible problems with the seats are worked out.

I know couple of elites that went to Dallas to test the seats and they compare it to the Lufthansa new business class seats. So, just go to Lufthansa.com and you will get an idea of what the new seats will look like.

BTW, the new seats will be installed on 763s first and only then the 777s will get them.

To the OP. If you choose to go with AA to HNL or OGG then make sure you do pick the 763 NOT the 757. The 757 has domestic first seats only. AA does fly DFW-OGG so no need to connect in HNL.

They also codeshare with Hawaiian through HNL so if that's the route you take you will get the luggage checked through and full mileage if you purchase an AA coded flight from HNL to OGG.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -