Delta SFO Connection Please Advise

Feb 22nd, 2006, 07:09 PM
Original Poster

Delta SFO Connection Please Advise

I have a flight booked to Bangkok leaving Atlanta on March 13th at 7:40 PM connect thru SFO on China Airlines leaving SFO on March 14th at 0005. I have been watching the flight from ATL to SFO and it has been late every night for a week. If I miss my connection what am I entilted to from Delta. This will really wreck my holiday. Please advise.
Feb 22nd, 2006, 07:23 PM

The jetstream has been very strong during the past week, and all westbound flights in the US are getting hammered. I think that by mid-March, it should be better. And while DL1029 has been late, you should be able to connect on most nights (tonite perhaps excepted) since 1029 resumed on 2/15. I wouldn't panick yet.

Since CI3 is also a DL codeshare, and I assume there are quite a few passengers doing the same connection, CI will likely wait for you and others.

But if you do miss your connection, and you bought the whole itinerary on the same ticket, call DL immediately on the phone and have them rebook you on a different airline the next day. Northwest via NRT can get you to BKK late 3/15, so you lose only about 12-13 hours in Bangkok. If the delay of 1029 was due to weather or air traffic, then you probably will have to pay for your hotel at SFO, however.
Feb 22nd, 2006, 07:25 PM

Well, actually, depending on who issue your tickets, you may have to rely on China Airlines to rebook you. They may force you to take their flight 24 hours later, and there may not be much you can do except beg, especially if the DL flight was delayed due to weather/air traffic.
Feb 22nd, 2006, 09:30 PM

Isn't there a MCT (minimum connection time) database somewhere on the web?
Feb 22nd, 2006, 09:35 PM

DL1029 is scheduled to arrive at 10:08pm, giving the OP almost 2 hours. Therefore, minimum scheduled time wasn't an issue.

Problem is that this flight is often late. Tonite, it didn't take off until 9:15; with the strong headwind, it isn't scheduled to touch down until 11:24pm. And the OP still has to change terminal at SFO.