Delta or United, LAX or ATL

Old Jan 25th, 2020, 04:41 AM
Original Poster

Delta or United, LAX or ATL

I have flown American for years back and forth GUA-DFW-PDX. However their current schedule does not show any itinerary that can get me back in one day. So I am considering Delta or United. I will be using wheelchair assistance and will have checked bags. Are there terminal construction issues at LAX that I would need to take into consideration? I don't even know the airport configuration anymore! I plan to fly on a weekday....hopefully, soon!
Old Jan 25th, 2020, 09:22 AM

I don't use either Delta or United often enough to help with that. But just re the construction and airport layout issues - it wouldn't matter one way or the other. If you have wheel chair assistance they will take you everywhere you need to go. Immigration, luggage carousels, immigration, next gate etc. . . .
Old Jan 25th, 2020, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks janisj! Found United flights that go through IAH!
Old Jan 25th, 2020, 01:38 PM

OOPS --they won't take you through Immigration twice That second should have been 'Customs' . . .
Old Jan 26th, 2020, 02:10 AM

We fly Delta a lot, but unfortunately it is a real hassle at LAX with all the construction. They are in Terminals 2 & 3 and are remodeling Terminal 3 as well as doing a connection to The Bradley Terminal so that corner is terrible. In fact all the LAX construction is terrible. We usually try to take Delta from John Wayne (Orange County) if possible, but I am unsure if they have flights to Atlanta from there. I kind of think they do as I remember thinking on our last trip that we could go straight to Atlanta from John Wayne. It is a super easy airport and would be perfect if you need assistance.
Old Jan 26th, 2020, 11:33 AM

" . . . but I am unsure if they have flights to Atlanta from there"

Not sure where Atlanta comes into the equation? The OP is trying traveling from Guatemala to Portland OR

(She's found a routing through Houston)
Old Jan 26th, 2020, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by janisj View Post

Not sure where Atlanta comes into the equation? The OP is trying traveling from Guatemala to Portland OR

We had a Delta flight out of LAX in April and their terminal was a mess with construction.
Old Jan 26th, 2020, 03:19 PM

Not sure what that has to do with my post you quoted??
Old Jan 26th, 2020, 04:08 PM

Not sure what that has to do with my post you quoted??
Probably because HappyTrvlr was replying from a smartphone and uses a “workaround” by hitting the “quote” button to access a reply box.
Old Jan 26th, 2020, 05:22 PM

OH jeeze - sorry I didn't even notice the tread's title -- THAT is where Atlanta came from.
Old Jan 28th, 2020, 04:21 PM

I know it's in the title, but why would you be all the way back east like that as a connection between Guatemala and Portland? Seems kinda out of the way??
Old Jan 28th, 2020, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by suze View Post
I know it's in the title, but why would you be all the way back east like that as a connection between Guatemala and Portland? Seems kinda out of the way??
If you look at a map, you will see that Guatemala is closer to being south of Atlanta than it is in relation to Portland. It's always a surprise to me when I check flights to South America - I think of countries like Peru and Chile as being due south of California - but in reality they are much further to the east east.
Old Jan 29th, 2020, 11:27 AM

Thanks. You're right. Same with Mexico. the entire country is actually more to the east than I always picture it under Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, more than California.