Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Urging Caution! When Booking American Hawaii Cruises or United States Lines, Delta Steamboat Co. & Delta Queen Coastal Voyages

Search

Urging Caution! When Booking American Hawaii Cruises or United States Lines, Delta Steamboat Co. & Delta Queen Coastal Voyages

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 2001, 07:41 PM
Patricia

Travel Guard, a major travel insurance company, has announced that it will no longer cover passengers booking American Classic Voyages ships, including United States Lines, American Hawaii Cruises, Delta Queen Steamboat Companyand Delta Queen Coastal Voyages. Travel Safe, another third party insurance company, will not cover loss of cruise due to cruise line default. In light of the company's financial situation, it would be prudent to only book an American Classic Voyages cruise when a third party insurance company, such as TravelEx, will insure against default.

Old Oct 5th, 2001, 08:48 PM
Taylor

I would not book a cruise on this line. It will be the next one to go belly up. Too bad since it is the only line that flies the U.S. flag. <BR> <BR>Best bet is to do one of the six mass market lines that cruise Hawaii

Old Oct 6th, 2001, 08:57 AM
Frank

My guess is that the U.S. Government will bail it out, since it is the only line sailing under the U.S. flag.

Old Oct 6th, 2001, 06:19 PM
Mike

Frank! That would be nice but do you think the government will really bail them out? After all, a cruise line is not a necessity like the airlines are. <BR>How much and how many can be bailed out before the cupboard is bare and taxes go up. There have been many industries and people effected by this and the resulting trickle down effect. <BR>Where is the cut off?

Old Oct 7th, 2001, 11:19 PM
Paul Therault

<BR>The last news I received by fax is that Travel guard did not give a reason for not insuring folks that cruise ACV. Other insurers will. But then CSA will not presently insure any cruise line for default. <BR> <BR>Just two weeks ago it was announced that ACV will continue with it's contract to build two new ships but has pushed up the date to 2003. <BR> <BR>The U.S. Government will not "bail out" ACV. No way. What will happen if ACV goes belly-up is we, as taxpayers, will have to pay for the ACV government loans. <BR> <BR>It will be extremely difficult for a U.S. line to survive since they will have to pay U.S. taxes along with union wages. The government knows this and I am sure will help them along. <BR> <BR>Hopefully the line will be profitable since the two new ships will be built in the U.S. and will be great for our economy. There are too any foreign products in the U.S. now. We need ACV. <BR> <BR>Paul <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Oct 8th, 2001, 01:15 PM
Ginny

I personally hope this line holds on. It has the only itinerary that makes since to me if you're interested in seeing as much of Hawaii as possible on a limited time schedule. The other lines may have better ships but less attractive itineraries. I keep hoping for a good combination of cruise rate and flight price (from Chicago) so I can finally get my dream trip booked. I hope they keep sailing.

Old Oct 9th, 2001, 12:49 PM
joy

You know Ginny if you can find a cheap air ticket to Portland, OR the line is having a great sale. $999 including air. Not bad

Old Oct 9th, 2001, 07:01 PM
Ginny

Thanks Joy for the tip, I do appreciate it. I did see a similar offer in the Sun. Trib (Chicago) for combos starting at $1299 but for limited sailings before Christmas. Can't do it then, plans have already been made for Oct/Nov trip to visit daughter in Big Apple. I hope the Patriot is still around early spring (and my job is too) and maybe we can do business. Thanks for trying.

Old Oct 10th, 2001, 04:43 PM
Jessie

So if the above Hawaii cruiselines go belly-up would there be a possibility of some other line taking their routes?

Old Oct 10th, 2001, 11:28 PM
Paul Therault

<BR>NCL will continue to do the Hawaii itinerary and most all cruise lines that sail Alaska sail to Hawaii in the spring and fall. <BR> <BR>Pal