Delta adds checked bag fee

Nov 6th, 2008, 04:29 AM
Original Poster

Delta adds checked bag fee

I guess it was just a matter of time, but with gas being so much cheaper now I have to wonder what the logic is behind the new fee. I guess it's nice that it's a pretty cheap amount, but it's still annoying.
Nov 6th, 2008, 04:46 AM

This was done as part of an alignment of fees with Northwest. Other fees - prominently the fuel surcharge for award tickets - went away, so there was good and bad to this announcement.
Nov 6th, 2008, 11:25 AM

And...... they also are tacking $$$$ on to get a "choice" coach seat. And that is only within 24 hours at check-in.

Funny, In the email they make it seem like a good thing, Pffffft
Nov 6th, 2008, 11:32 AM

Funny, In the email they make it seem like a good thing, Pffffft

Those that book last-minute (and pay top-dollar for the privilege) would disagree with you.
Nov 9th, 2008, 09:06 AM

We got Delta's email about the choice seat surcharge and I thought the spin they put on this announcement was absurd. We continue to avoid Delta whenever possible (not easy since our nearest airport is Atlanta), and I recently booked flights out west on Frontier, which has a $25/ per bag fee but more comfortable airplanes.
Nov 9th, 2008, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

I hate to seem stupid, but what does a "choice seat" consist of - Is that what they consider exit row seats now, maybe?
Nov 9th, 2008, 12:19 PM

I assume DL is just following NW's practice. It means certain exit row, bulkhead, and some aisle seats near the front. Basically seats that some frequent flyers feel they're a bit more comfortable and is worth paying for.

But do not listen some of the hate posts in this or other forums that suggest it means all aisle seats or all great seats. That is simply not true. And sometimes, there are some particularly good seats that they don't block off as choice seats. For example, NW's 63BCHJ on their 747-400. Those are some of the best seats on the plane, yet, they're not choice seats, while rows 64-66 are. I sat in Row 63 for 3 of my 4 legs across the Pacific in August, without paying an extra dime.
Nov 9th, 2008, 02:37 PM

ccolor, yes the exit row seats are now considered "choice," along with certain seats that have more room (length or width) due to the configuration of stored equipment (at least, on the plane that's what it looks like).

If you've been to seatguru.com and seen the more desirable seats on each plane, those are the exact seats you now pay more for as "choice."
Nov 9th, 2008, 09:47 PM

ccolor, yes the exit row seats are now considered "choice,"

Not exactly. Some of the exit rows are elite seats and not part of the choice seats program.
Nov 10th, 2008, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Ok thanks, I think I have the general idea about choice seats. Luckily that's not on the priority list so I guess we'll save a couple dollars and ignore that fee.

Search this Thread