Reload this Page >

Confused about fares and upgrades on United

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 10:59 AM
Ellen

I have been doing a lot of checking on fares for a trip in the spring on United. I'm looking at United because I have a lot frequent flyer miles with them and want to upgrade to business class. Does anyone know if a Q or T fares are upgradeable? Do you always have to call the airline to book a fare to make sure that an upgrade is available or is there a way to do it online? Thanks

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 11:20 AM
Tweeky

Ellen<BR>Here's what we do.Pick the dates of travel,see what the lowest fare is.Call United to make sure you can upgrade.Book the tickets.Call United to upgrade.Simple.With some of the airlines, the lowest fares are NOT upgradeable.With United now being overseen by the Bankruptcy Court,I am certain changes are on the horizon.They might very well up the ante so to speak for their cheap upgradeable fares.

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 11:52 AM
xxx

The best source to answer this question is United. Call the Milage Plus customer service desk at 1-800-421-4655. Fare rules and upgrade eligibility can change at any time so ask the experts.

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 02:05 PM
Bri

Ellen, Y,B,M,H are the upgradeable fares on United. Y and B are the most expensive and take the least amount of miles. M and H take more miles and they are usually quite a bit more then the cheapest fares.

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 02:11 PM
Curious

Is this a recent change in the program?

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 02:30 PM
Bri

Curious, The only change I'm aware of is that it now takes more miles then it used to. We bought tickets (B fare) a few months back and it took 20,000 miles each to upgrade round-trip. That upgrade on a B fare would now cost us 30,000 miles each round-trip. A H or M fare went from 40,000 to 60,000 round-trip.

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 02:36 PM
Bri

Forgot to say this was for a ticket to Europe. Mileage requirements for the U.S. are less. Check out the United Web-Site. The mileage requirements are listed there.

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 08:17 AM
suzy

United will let you upgrade on a RT for 20,000 ff miles on any ticket regardless of the price or class as long as the aloted space is available. Thats with travel in US, alaska and canada. We have done it many of times and price of the ticket was never an issue. We have tickets for feb. and they are V class and we were upgraded. Thats not to say things might not change in the future with the problems they have now. They did send an email stating that nothing would chnage with ff program but i would not hold my breath on that.

Old Dec 14th, 2002, 10:37 AM
Ed

Sorry suzy, the rules have changed effective October 1st. It now takes 30,000 miles to upgrade on a RT US flight, and upgrade only apply to more expensive fare classes. As suggested above, check out the Mileage Plus web site for details.

Old Dec 14th, 2002, 02:06 PM
suzy

Damn i knew it was to good to last. We bought our tickets in August so i have not been paying attention. Bummer, we have upgraded so many times on United and they have been the easiest to get upgraded on of all the airlines with the exception Alaska.