Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Continental vs Alitalia to Milan

Experienced Europe flyers- help please!

For about the same price overall we can do either:

Alitalia direct from Dulles to Milan

OR

Continental from Reagan National to Newark to Milan

I love direct flights, but I've read so many posts here about how lousy Alitalia is and how likely they are to strike.

This will be a quick 6 day trip, so I don't want to have any cancelled flights or problems. Is it worth it to take the connection through Newark to ensure a better chance that the flight will still exist in January on Continental?

We would have to pay to park at Dulles, while DCA is a $5 cab ride from our house.

Does Continental sly 767s with seatback video-screens from Newark to Milan?

Thanks a million for any help or information you have on these two options!

Old Sep 30th, 2004, 07:14 PM

Yes, all seats on CO's 767 has individual screen.

Since you live so close to DCA, I'll take the connection on CO. It's going to cost you less, and I don't think a connection at EWR is much worse than having to go out to IAD.
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 08:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks rkkwan. I've never connected through Newark, but I would certainly enjoy avoiding rush hour traffic to Dulles and riding in the stinky people-movers to the boarding gates,
Old Oct 1st, 2004, 04:50 AM

BlueSwimmer.....IMHO, and it's just me...but I would be more concerned about the issue of solvency with Alitalia.You can find many posts on the Europe board regarding this issue.Best of luck....Stephen
Old Oct 1st, 2004, 06:48 AM

The Italian government/politicians are trying hard to keep Alitalia alive. I don't know enough of Italian politics to say if what will happen. Afterall, Ansett Australia, Sabena and Swiss Air did shut down in the past few years.

Personally, I doubt Alitalia will be totally gone by Jan, but who knows if they will severely cut back services, including MXP-IAD.

Meanwhile, CO is in relatively good shape financially, and is expanding its European presence (though mostly with smaller planes). The EWR-MXP route definitely will be there in Jan.
Old Oct 1st, 2004, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! I think we've decided to go with Continental. The relative peace of mind, and the fact that we won't have to fight hideous rush hour traffic to get to Dulles for the evening flight make the stop over worth it.

This board is such a help with planning!
Old Oct 1st, 2004, 06:35 PM

You made the right decision. Have never been on CO international flights. Have been on Alitalia. I think I would consider going 'Greyhound' to avoid a non J class Alitalia flight.
Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 04:34 AM

CONTINENTAL! I have flown both many times, and Alitalia is just not as reliable. Our flight was cancelled without notifying us (we even called before we left the house). We drove 2 hours to the airport in Palermo to tell us the cancelled it. There were no other flights going home that day, so we had to come back the next day. The worst part is - the couldn't even care less! We drove 2 hours back and came back the next day. To make it worse, the next day, when we connected through Milan - we had a 10-hour delay!

I kissed the ground when we got home!