Continental or US Airways?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2009, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need to travel on either of these airlines from Toronto to Mexico.

I have never flown on either airline. I will have to pay an additional baggage fee, and I need to purchase drinks/snack onbaord.

The Continental flight connects in Houston and the US Airways flight connects in either Carlotte or Philidelphia. I was orginally going to fly on CO but I've read that there are always long lines at US customs and immigration in Houston. I have always avoided US Airways and have read many things about a poor safety record.

The flight price is virtually the same. I don't collect FF miles with either airline (or partner airline) so this is not an issue.

Which airline would you choose and why.

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 7th, 2009, 12:58 PM

You will get a complimentary "snack" between Houston and Toronto on most flights. Though keep in mind that YYZ-IAH is a long flight on a regional jet. You may also get a snack to Mexico, depending on where in Mexico you're going. Snack means a cold sandwich or banana/cereal on a morning flight. CO doesn't do buy-on-board.

From Toronto, you'll clear US customs and immigration in YYZ, regardless of which airline you take. Coming back, you will indeed clear immigration and customs at IAH if you fly CO - length of immigration is a crapshoot. Sometimes it's long, sometimes it's non-existent.
Old Oct 7th, 2009, 07:40 PM

I'm a CO loyalist so it's hands down easy choice for me - their product is several levels above US Scareways, IMO. And immigration a IAH is not that bad, especially since they opened additional desks at migration.
As rkk notes, though, you will likely be on a regional jet between IAH and YYZ.
Old Oct 7th, 2009, 09:45 PM

Don't count on much in the way of food - purchased or free - on any airline these days. Don't count on being able to buy food in Houston, Charlotte of Philadelphia unless your connection time is really long.

Things happen - flights are delayed, airlines run out of food, "snack" is really a pretzel - it is almost irresponsible to travel without bringing some sort of food (even just a light portable snack) today.

Safety record? While I admit to being a fearful but still fairly frequent flier, safety record of major airlines is so good that I don't consider it a differentiating issue. And service is so lacking on any airline that that almost doesn't matter either.
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 07:35 AM

We fly CO a lot and they do still serve meals at meal time, which may or may not make a difference to you on the long trip you're considering. As rkkwan mentioned, breakfast is cereal with piece of fruit, sometimes a muffin as well. Other times, it's a hot or cold sandwich, salad (lettuce is actually crisp) and a desert bar. Hardly gourmet, but decent enough and certainly more than other airlines.

I still travel with something to eat just in case of delays, etc.

We've had no complaints about service on CO.

Our experience in recent years with going through immigration at IAH has been pretty good since the new facilities in Terminal E have opened.
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 07:59 AM

Buy-on-board can definitely run out, but on CO, everybody will get their "meal". I've never been on a CO flight that's run out of food when there should be. The only exception will be during irregular operations where the plane was swapped last minute or caterer went on strike, etc. But in those cases, they will tell you before you board.

BTW, for CO, the accurate way to find out what's being served is go to pda.continental.com and use the "Flight Information and Status" link. Punch in the flight number or the route, and you can find out what's being served today (or yestersday or the upcoming two days). It'll be the same as in the near future.
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 12:06 PM

gail - been through IAH lately? They have recently redone the food court area and there are lots of options, service is pretty darn quick. And there are also smaller kiosk type stand at several locations throughout the terminal complex.
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the feedback, I'll give CO a try on this trip.
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 04:56 PM

Not commenting on food options at any airport - I just remember flying a little hungry once or twice because I just had time to make connection - no time to grab food even at a quick kiosk
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 08:03 PM

OK, gail,got it. It really is difficult at some airports to find food vendors between flights. IAH, though, is not one of them.
Old Oct 10th, 2009, 04:38 AM

I have flown Continental twice and my Mexican in-laws have used it a few times coming to visit. It's a really good airline. I've never had issues at immigration in Houston, but my Mexican sister-in-law and my Spanish friend have had to wait a lot longer. Last time I flew through there, with my Spanish friend, I was done in ten minutes and she took 45. So, you might want to call Continental and ask them how long a non-US citizen will take to clear immigration in Houston.
Old Oct 10th, 2009, 06:43 AM

puttakka's point is well taken, but I don't think CO will be able to give you a very accurate answer. As a VERY general rule, we've noticed the longest lines at IAH for non-US citizens from early to mid afternoon when the jumbos land from Europe. Not very scientific survery, but an observation which might be helpful. But those lines did seem to move pretty well, especially with the new facilities.
Old Oct 10th, 2009, 11:12 AM

Immigration line goes fast at IAH. I would only fly US AIR if that was the ONLY option.