Search

CONTINENTAL 777

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2001, 07:50 PM
noname

CONTINENTAL 777

I just got off the phone with Continental Airlines and had absolutely no luck securing a NY/Paris/NY upgrade for my November trip. They did, however, offer up a free economy ticket. The only way I would even consider this is if it is true that the 777s are roomier than economy on other aircraft. Has anybody flown it? What is your experience? I care most about space. Thanks.

Old May 30th, 2001, 01:26 PM
Bill

I actually find coach in Continental's 777 very comfortable. I'm about 5'10", if you're much taller than that I think you'd be cramped. I also prefer their 3-3-3 seating configuration to other airlines 2-5-2. You have individual video monitors at each seat and a choice of movies. Of course BusinessFirst has much more room and much better food, but you won't get a confirmed upgrade award this far in advance. Continental wait lists all international upgrades until 30 to 3 days from departure. Platinum or gold elite status really helps out on the wait list. I'm silver elite and we always wait list the upgrade, but it's still a 50-50 shot. Plus, this is a code share with Air France and they buy up some of the seats as well. At least now with e-tickets, I don't have to worry about claiming my award at the last minute and paying the $75 for expedited delivery. All in all I think Continental's 777 is one of the nicest flights from the NYC region to Paris.

Old May 30th, 2001, 02:23 PM
noname

Bill, Thanks. You've made me feel better. This is my first flight, in the long time, in economy. I just couldn't resist the free ride and I've heard very good things about the 777.

Old Jun 9th, 2001, 03:59 PM
nancy

I keep hearing that the 777s are much roomier that other plans in economy; however, when I checked the specs of Continental's Site, the pitch and seat width were the same as on their other international airctaft. What kind of experience have you had? Thanks, Nancy-

Old Jun 10th, 2001, 04:59 AM
Ishoo

Was on a 777 last October. The only REAL difference from other aircraft was the neat camera in the nose that lets you see what the pilot sees on the approach and landing.

Old Jun 14th, 2001, 12:32 PM
xxxxxxx

I'm beginning to think that all the hype about 777's being so comfirtable in coach is just that -- economy is economy. If you want comfort you're going to have to pay for it...

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 06:19 AM
terri

I flew Continental's 777 from Newark to Paris in Oct. 1999 and it was like a dream. So much more confortable than any Airbus, with plenty of room for carry-on luggage. The monitors for the inflight entertainment are excellent. I wish all economy air travel was this nice! <BR>Terri & Oliver Tattan <BR>Independent Nikken Wellness Consultants <BR>http://www.wellness-consultant.com/ <BR>Ask us how to get 10% off our entire online catalog! <BR>

Old Jun 22nd, 2001, 06:15 PM
NotHappy

I'm glad they've made more room for baggage. How about people? I'm not hearing anything about additional legroom and wider seats that you can actual shift position in.

Old Jul 4th, 2001, 07:42 PM
jerney

It sounds like CONTINENTAL's international 777 flights have relatively comfortable seating in economy. I flew economy on a United 777 to Frankfurt, and all I can say is never again. I had nowhere to stretch my feet, and I'm not a very tall person. But United has said it is in the process of adding an economy plus section to the 777s, and that will be a big improvement for those who qualify for economy plus. I've flown economy plus on their 767s, and that is very roomy.

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 01:39 PM
Triple7Fan

All 777's are not created alike - each airline configures as they wish. CO has made improvements, among them the thickness (or lack thereof) of the seatbacks, without sacrificing comfort/back support. The clunky (and often funky) seating that feels like grandma's upholstered couch is gone. The 3-3-3 configuration in coach means never more than one person away from an aisle. The restrooms are more spacious (you can practically dance in the handicapped restroom!) and the staff rave about the configuration being easier to work than previous models. <BR>Bottom line: go for it!

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 08:33 PM
BA

Fly BA 777's...I love them...nice little personal tv on the back of the little chair in front of you so you can chart your plane's whereabouts...I often wonder if they'd turn it off if the plane was going to crash or something but seriously, you can get movies, etc., etc....then I saw business class...hmmm...maybe I'll invent a business...if you're lucky, there will be no 'middle' person...