Best Airline to fly to Italy

Oct 28th, 2000, 07:54 AM
Stewart Garcia

Best Airline to fly to Italy

I flew to Europe on AA last year. I thought their international services would be better than domestic. How naive! This year I will be flying from miami to Italy. Any suggestions?

Oct 30th, 2000, 08:58 AM
Marisa

Anything but Alitalia.

Nov 14th, 2000, 03:10 PM
beth

whats wrong with Alitalia - flying on them on Friday to Italy

Nov 18th, 2000, 07:12 PM
Sarah

I flew Alitalia last year and it was great. Some of the flight attendants speak not-so-great English, but generally you will get everything that you need. And gosh, all the wine you want.

Nov 22nd, 2000, 03:51 AM
Marisa

I have flown Alitalia on several flights within Italy. Each time the service got progressively worse. The flight attendants were rude, the flights were delayed, sometimes smoking was permitted in the cabin, and the food wasn't that good (if you got any at all). Also, the people working the Alitalia gates and ticket counters were no better. In addition to flying on a paid ticket, I have also had the privilege of flying stand-by with Alitalia. On this one particular flight, we were bumped from one flight to the next for an entire day, forcing us to stay over in Rome. The next day we were told that the flights were full once again. We asked to speak to a manager and he told us that if we paid for the tickets, seats would be available! Well, we started to raise our voices and were finally given tickets on the next flight. When we got on the plane (which supposedly had no seats available), there were at least 20 seats available!!! I acknowledge that there are people who have had positive experiences with Alitalia. I have flown with them about 6 times and my flight in 1998 was my last flight with them. I try to warn anyone that I know that is thinking about flying Alitalia. Other than those that just posted on this message, I do not know anyone who has said anything positive about Alitalia. (Most of my family lives in Italy and we visit each other frequently).

Dec 1st, 2000, 05:29 AM
Debi

We flew Continental and it was very nice. The attendants were friendly and the flight was smooth....

Dec 7th, 2000, 02:12 PM
Brendan

Who ever you choose, do not fly Alitalia. Always late, old planes, and sometimes they don't enforce the no smoking rule. During my last flight with them in 1999, I had the pleasure of sitting next to the Marlboro Man himself. He smoked the whole way to rome, even though it was a non-smoking flight.

Dec 12th, 2000, 06:51 AM
Rich

Stewart:

I'd recommend taking Lauda Air/Austrian Airlines from Miami to Italy. I flew Austrian a couple of months ago, and the service was simply outstanding! Good food, friendly flight attendants, and clean planes. I haven't taken them, but from the number of responses I've seen here, I wouldn't take Alitalia.

There's only one thing -- the coach seats on Austrian were smaller than those of the American carriers (if you can imagine!). But perthaps the seats are bigger on the trans-atlantic aircraft...

Dec 12th, 2000, 07:43 AM
Marlboro McMarlboro

You know the Marlobro man?

Dec 20th, 2000, 01:19 PM
Simon

Use Swissair via Zurich for punctuality and excellent service. Also, you can travel for free ... with their Qualiflyer program, you get an upgrade to business class with 5000miles and a free flight with stopover for 20,000 miles .... not bad at all !

www.swissair.com
www.qualiflyer.com

Dec 30th, 2000, 11:45 PM
Carin

Check out the Europe forum and do a searc on Alitalia - after reading it you'll never fly that airline.

Dec 31st, 2000, 08:59 AM
richardab

I hear the Alitalia is not great.

I fly to Rome using Lufthansa with a connection in Munich. Lufthansa is very efficient and punctual. Their planes are modern and comfortable. One drawback is that the flight attendants are not always friendly and the food is lousey. But food on the airlines is never good. Munich is a great airport to connect in. It's less stressful than most. It's modern and not too big. If you layover is long, there is a great shopping mall right in the airport to help you pass the time.

If you perfer not to fly Lufthansa acroos the sea, try United to Munich or Frankfurt with a Lufthansa connection to Rome. Unlike Lufthansa intercontinental flights, Lufthansa City Hopper flights are great. The food is excellent (we got a nice plate with salad, salmon, cheese, meats and breads) and the service a bit less edgy.

Last option, Use Air France with a connection at Paris. Air france has a bit more style than most...

Worst options? US Airways, KLM and British Airways.

Jan 6th, 2001, 10:30 PM
beast

Virgin is the best

Jun 12th, 2001, 02:17 PM
Stuart B

What about flying within Italy once there? We have hotels booked in Venice, then Positano and so wish to fly from Venice to Naples. Anyone have any suggestions and contacts?

Jun 14th, 2001, 08:59 AM
sarah

I would rough it with Alitalia if you must. I was bumped when I showed up 1 hour before my flights departure. I noticed that other young people along with me had all been bumped. 1-2 men an 14 women you can't tell me this was not orchestrated in some way. I wrote a letter and called about 6 times not response. They are horrible. I have to say though that I hopped on Wednesday night flight before Thanksgiving and the plane was empty. People loaded as they came on to the plane like a bus. that was fun because as soon as you step on the plane at JFK you are in Italy. Immediately there is a language barrier. You can swing it if you are stuck with Alitalia I would use them again for the right savings but they would have to be significant. REMEMBER YOU DON"T WANT TO MANGA ON THE PLANE OR YOU WILL THROW UPPA

Jul 8th, 2001, 02:44 PM
Neve

I think determining the most suitable airline would depends on your objective. In my case, shortest travel time and cost are the first priority.

Yes, Alitalia's service is not particulerly good, food is not even passable, and we have to watch out thier strike schedules..........
Pretty much everyone trashes Alitalia, but because I live in NYC, Alitalia's non-stop service and inexpensive airfare (used twice: 4/2001 $370, 5/2001 $420 R/T JFK/Rome) made sense to me.

So,I pretty much agree with Sarah. I guess you get what you pay for.

Jul 11th, 2001, 06:55 AM
DJ

I second Stuart's question; what other options are there for intra Italy flights. We're flying from Venice to Naples and we are booked on Alitalia this September. Do I have a competitive choice?

Jul 13th, 2001, 04:15 PM
Bruce

I agree with the previous poster regarding Austrian Airlines: good service, good planes. Swissair is also great transatlantic, and will have more connecting options out of Zurich into Italy. Note that Crossair is Swissair's short-haul partner, and provides just as good service, on cute little jets called "Jumbolinos". Seriously.

Jul 13th, 2001, 05:02 PM
Ishoo

I have had good results from US Air rountrip to Rome, Paris, and Brussels all from PHL.

Aug 4th, 2001, 06:32 PM
Frank

Alitalia is by far the worst airline I've ever flown anywhere. Attendants are rude, food is terrible, and there are no amenities such as eyecovers, etc. Plus they ration your food whereas other more progressive arilines pamper you and make you feel special (KLM, BA, for example).